The Playoff Picture

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: The Playoff Picture

Post by coco_canuck » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:11 am

It's really difficult to project how the standings will shake out, but the top 6 should remain fairly stable unless the Blues, Hawks and Sharks bomb the rest of the way

The current standings courtesy of ESPN

1 x - St. Louis 77 48 20 9 105 44 4 8 30-4-4 18-16-5 199 147 +52 6-2-2 Won 2
2 y -Vancouver 76 46 21 9 101 39 7 7 22-10-4 24-11-5 230 187 +43 5-4-1 Won 3
3 San Jose 76 39 27 10 88 31 8 5 24-12-3 15-15-7 210 196 +14 6-3-1 Won 3
4 x - Detroit 76 46 25 5 97 39 7 2 30-5-2 16-20-3 237 187 +50 3-5-2 Won 2
5. Nashville 77 44 25 8 96 40 4 5 24-9-5 20-16-3 219 202 +17 5-4-1 Lost 1
6 Chicago 77 42 26 9 93 37 5 5 26-8-5 16-18-4 231 222 +9 6-2-2 Lost 2
7 Dallas 76 41 30 5 87 34 7 4 22-14-3 19-16-2 202 203 -1 6-4-0 Lost 1
8 Phoenix 77 37 27 13 87 31 6 10 19-13-6 18-14-7 200 202 -2 4-2-4 Lost 2

9 Los Angeles 76 37 27 12 86 31 6 7 21-14-4 16-13-8 175 165 +10 6-4-0 Lost 2
10 Colorado 78 40 32 6 86 31 9 2 22-15-2 18-17-4 201 207 -6 5-3-2 Lost 3
11 Calgary 77 35 27 15 85 32 3 9 21-10-6 14-17-9 191 212 -21 5-2-3 Won 1

First of all, for the Flames fans who still have some hope, Calgary plays LA, Colorado, Anaheim and Vancouver at home, and visits Vancouver for their final road game.

The Flames have to win at least 4 games, which would give them 93 points, to have any shot at making it, and even that may not be enough. Chances aren't good.

Colorado plays Calgary and Vancouver on the road and hosts Nashville and Columbus. They basically have to win out to have a chance, so good luck with that.

The Kings have to win 4 out of 6, but luckily they face Calgary, Edmonton and Minnesota on the road and host Edmonton once. But they also have a home-and-away with SJ left, so they can't afford to drop a single game against the non-playoff teams.

Phoenix has SJ, Columbus and Anaheim at home, and also visits St. Louis and Minnesota.

Dallas has a tough sched left, they visit Edmonton, Nashville, Vancouver and SJ, and also host St. Louis and SJ.

None of these teams have been overly convincing this season, so it may be useless to try a projection, but I see the standing ending up like this:

1. St. Louis
2. Vancouver
3. San Jose
4. Detroit
5. Nashville
6. Chicago
7. LA
8. Phoenix

The 7-8 spot can be easily interchanged, but I think SJ finishes strong to wrap up their division and as long as Chicago wins one more game they're all but guaranteed the 6th seed.

I think the Blues will be more susceptible to a 1st round upset because of their lack of playoff experience and goal scoring. They'll face a defensive team in a similar to mold to themselves. I still wouldn't bet on LA or Phx to beat the Blues...well maybe I might...but I wouldn't at all be surprised if they get bounced.

Either way, it looks like Van will face SJ, Det or Nashville in the 2nd round if they get past the opener, unless the Blues are upset in the opening round.

It looks to be a treacherous road to the Cup in the West this year.

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:22 am

coco_canuck wrote: The 7-8 spot can be easily interchanged, but I think SJ finishes strong to wrap up their division and as long as Chicago wins one more game they're all but guaranteed the 6th seed.

I think the Blues will be more susceptible to a 1st round upset because of their lack of playoff experience and goal scoring. They'll face a defensive team in a similar to mold to themselves. I still wouldn't bet on LA or Phx to beat the Blues...well maybe I might...but I wouldn't at all be surprised if they get bounced.

Either way, it looks like Van will face SJ, Det or Nashville in the 2nd round if they get past the opener, unless the Blues are upset in the opening round.

It looks to be a treacherous road to the Cup in the West this year.
Let's hope that LA goes on a tear and finishes 3rd, and LA & Chicago beat each other up in round 1.
The Sharks (or PHX) in round 1 would probably be best, but truthfully any team in the playoffs will be tough, there aren't crap teams that make it like there were in a 21 team NHL. ;)

I'm thinking that if Blues, 'Nucks, Hawks and either Wings or Preds make it to round 2, it looks like we will get the Hawks in round 2, or if the 3rd seed gets in for round 2 we'll get LA or the Sharks.

coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:29 am

Zamboni Driver wrote: The Sharks (or PHX) in round 1 would probably be best, but truthfully any team in the playoffs will be tough, there aren't crap teams that make it like there were in a 21 team NHL. ;)

I'm thinking that if Blues, 'Nucks, Hawks and either Wings or Preds make it to round 2, it looks like we will get the Hawks in round 2, or if the 3rd seed gets in for round 2 we'll get LA or the Sharks.
Yeah, the West has improved to the point where the 7-8 teams also pose a challenge. Truthfully though, Vancouver should still be able to beat LA, Phx or Dallas in 5-6 games at worst.

If the Blues finish first and win their opening round, and the Hawks upset the the 3rd seed team, the Blues would play the Hawks since they'd be the lowest seed left (6) and Van would get the winner of the Det/Nash match-up.

I'd like to avoid Nash or Det until the Conf finals because of the travel and how demanding a series against either of those two teams will be. I wouldn't so much mind playing the Hawks in rd 2 despite the travel because they're simply not as good or dangerous as Det or Nash.

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:11 am

coco_canuck wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote: I'm thinking that if Blues, 'Nucks, Hawks and either Wings or Preds make it to round 2, it looks like we will get the Hawks in round 2, or if the 3rd seed gets in for round 2 we'll get LA or the Sharks.
Yeah, the West has improved to the point where the 7-8 teams also pose a challenge. Truthfully though, Vancouver should still be able to beat LA, Phx or Dallas in 5-6 games at worst.

If the Blues finish first and win their opening round, and the Hawks upset the the 3rd seed team, the Blues would play the Hawks since they'd be the lowest seed left (6) and Van would get the winner of the Det/Nash match-up.

I'd like to avoid Nash or Det until the Conf finals because of the travel and how demanding a series against either of those two teams will be. I wouldn't so much mind playing the Hawks in rd 2 despite the travel because they're simply not as good or dangerous as Det or Nash.
:blush: oops! You're right, I don't know how I mixed that up. So hopefully the PAC winner will beat the Hawks, we get SJ/LA in round 2, and the Central teams can fight it out

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:11 pm

In the East the Maple Leafs have been officially eliminated from the playoff picture for the 7th straight year.

We all absolutely love Toronto's woes, but what is the problem there?

I think that Burke is the problem. He's a legit GM, but in this case he has dropped the ball and made some bad moves. Primarily in his player analysis.

Phaneuf is not a legitimate #1 guy on the blueline. He can't anchor a defense because he just doesn't have the smarts, he's a good #2 and probably an elite #3. He is not a first choice for the captaincy on any other team.

Reimer is no the real deal, and Burke is a fool to think so. He (Reimer) is the new JS Giguere, a big, blocking goalie with limited mobility and average agility. He has no glove hand and is easily beaten in the top half of the net. Gustavsson is more athletic, but lacks the mental focus to be a legitimate starter in the NHL.

Kessel and Lupul are both solid top 6 forwards, Kessel would be top 3 on most teams, but neither of them are the type to carry a team. Kessel has all but disappeared as the season has worn on, and he became truly invisible after Carlyle took the reigns. Lupul is a fringe top 6 forward, and most top 6 forwards will put up numbers when given first line minutes.

The Leaf's are pretty screwed.

wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:29 am

Agreed but I go you one better, I think Burke will offer sheet Ginger in the off-season.

Just my thoughts on the situation.

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:43 am

nah.. at the least, we'll qualify ginger.

3 to 4 years, 3.5 per year ism y guess. then we try and move Luongo during that window in his no move clause..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:15 am

Lol... most likely but Burke is a wanker. You know he'll try something :)

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:38 am

wafflecombine wrote:Agreed but I go you one better, I think Burke will offer sheet Ginger in the off-season.

I really doubt Gillis lets Cory Schneider get to July 1st without signing him. Unless Gillis just turned into a fucking idiot overnight. Anyone worried about Gillis not having CS locked up or one of the two goalies dealt by July 1st needs to relax.

As an asside Gillis looks like he is going to have a fucking jammer. His melon is bright red, he has massive bags under his eyes and his cheeks are chubby and almost purple. Dude's cholesterol and blood pressure must be off the fucking charts. Lay off the the wine and cheese my friend and mix in a salad and an apple. We need you to continue running this team for a few more years.
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:14 am

lol.. don't worry man. I'm plenty relaxed. I've said for a long time I really hope we sign Ginger to an extension. I think MG can pull it off however we need to be realistic. Cory looks fantastic in net, is putting up sweet numbers and really wants to be a #1. Short of some of the rumours we've heard here on the boards, that is going to be hard to accomodate here in Van.

MG will do what is best for the team.

Burke will do whats best for him.... and he is gotta be a bit desperate after the Leafs pitching another stinker season.

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:26 am

wafflecombine wrote: Burke will do whats best for him.... and he is gotta be a bit desperate after the Leafs pitching another stinker season.
Burke can do whatever the hell he wants, but there's no way Schneider gets to July 1st so teams can offer sheet him. The goaltending situation for the Vancouver Canucks will be rectified by then.

BB may get a chance to make a hockey trade for Schneider or perhaps Luongo but Gillis would be a pinhead to let Schneider get to July 1st unsigned.
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:13 pm

wafflecombine wrote:Agreed but I go you one better, I think Burke will offer sheet Ginger in the off-season.

I don't think so. Burke may be an opinionated blowhard, but he's generally true to his word about things that don't involve trade talks etc. Even then he still isn't the cagey type that drops smoke screens everywhere to hide his intentions the way Gillis does. Does anyone remember what Burke said when Kevin Lowe threw offer sheets at Penner and Vanek? Something about tossing a grenade.....

Burke isn't going to tender an offer to Schneider if the Canuck's are in negotiation with him.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:32 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but can the Canucks not take Cory to arbitration? Now I know its not ideal but it prevents an offer sheet. It buys time to resolve the issue if it hasn't been done by July 1st as Blob suggests.

So if a deal isn't done at the draft to trade one of the goalies or if Cory is not re-singed by July 1 why not select arbitration?
The only HW the Canucks need

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:41 pm

Tonight is a critical matchup between Phoenix and San Jose for the final playoff spot.

Both teams have 5 games remaining, with a win tonight Phoenix will be sitting in very good position to take a playoff spot from one of their division rivals. Of the Coyotes' remaining games, only 1 of them is against a team that they will have to play lights out for a win, and that is their 2nd to last game against St. Louis. The Coyotes could very well go 4 of 5 to end the year.

San Jose has a tougher schedule with 2 games against Dallas and 2 against LA. This is not entirely a bad thing though, if they can pull off some W's. Dallas is ahead of them by a single point while LA is tied with them for points. This sets the stage for a very interesting finish in the Pacific Division as there are now 4 teams fighting for not just a playoff spot, but also the Division title and home-ice advantage for the first round.

Dallas has the toughest schedule ahead of them, besides the 2 games against the Sharks, they play Vancouver, Nashville, and St. Louis to round out the season. The games against San Jose are going to be grueling, both teams know what is on the line and will come to play accordingly. If Dallas walks away from them with a split they will be on thin ice as far as the final standings are concerned because they will be up against top tier squads in their remaining 3 games.

LA has something of a potential cake-walk compared to San Jose and Dallas. Two games against the Oil, a meeting with the Wild, plus their 2 matchups with the Sharks. A split with San Jose and putting more effort in against the bottom feeders will give them 8 points, which all but guarantee them a spot on the dance card.

The bottomline though is that this in the NHL, and surprises and upsets are the name of the game. It's gonna be interesting, but maddening at the same time because we are likely going to have to wait right until the last game of the year to see who we are matched up against. :crazy:

wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:08 pm

Meds wrote:Tonight is a critical matchup between Phoenix and San Jose for the final playoff spot.

Both teams have 5 games remaining, with a win tonight Phoenix will be sitting in very good position to take a playoff spot from one of their division rivals. Of the Coyotes' remaining games, only 1 of them is against a team that they will have to play lights out for a win, and that is their 2nd to last game against St. Louis. The Coyotes could very well go 4 of 5 to end the year.

San Jose has a tougher schedule with 2 games against Dallas and 2 against LA. This is not entirely a bad thing though, if they can pull off some W's. Dallas is ahead of them by a single point while LA is tied with them for points. This sets the stage for a very interesting finish in the Pacific Division as there are now 4 teams fighting for not just a playoff spot, but also the Division title and home-ice advantage for the first round.

Dallas has the toughest schedule ahead of them, besides the 2 games against the Sharks, they play Vancouver, Nashville, and St. Louis to round out the season. The games against San Jose are going to be grueling, both teams know what is on the line and will come to play accordingly. If Dallas walks away from them with a split they will be on thin ice as far as the final standings are concerned because they will be up against top tier squads in their remaining 3 games.

LA has something of a potential cake-walk compared to San Jose and Dallas. Two games against the Oil, a meeting with the Wild, plus their 2 matchups with the Sharks. A split with San Jose and putting more effort in against the bottom feeders will give them 8 points, which all but guarantee them a spot on the dance card.

The bottomline though is that this in the NHL, and surprises and upsets are the name of the game. It's gonna be interesting, but maddening at the same time because we are likely going to have to wait right until the last game of the year to see who we are matched up against. :crazy:
Hrrm, based on what I'm reading, I'd guess that LA takes the Division, and Dallas is the ugly duckling. But with the way these teams have been playing, I'm not going to be surprised no matter what happens.