I Get so Giddy from the word 'Shut Down'

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: I Get so Giddy from the word 'Shut Down'

Post by dhabums »

Something or other about the division we are in. Am I doing this right? I Confess, I get Stage Fright when I wade into these old CC thingies. Number Seventeen looked good last night.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

You feel like a stranger on a train? Need rope & a lifeboat..don't worry you have to return from darkness or be an imposter
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: while the rest of the bums of that trade are pure bums, Grabner and Balltard that is.
Surely you don't mean "Gatling Gun" Grabner? My stars! :wow:
That's right Dave, RD has been known to change his mind on players. For example he once stated:
RoyalDude on Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:44 pm wrote: I love this trade, I see Booth as maybe doing what Patrick Sharp did for Chicago when the Flyers gave up on him and being that guy for us. The guy has a real nose for the net and may excel in a hotbed hockey environment, playing on good hockey team. He's got speed and plays on the edge should by all accounts be a 30 goal guy,. I think him and his buddy Kesler may turn out to be quite the scarey combo out there.
Butt hay that's RD's prerogative amirite? :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Lets cut to the chase Doc, Shut Down hockey sells tickets, no if ands or buts. When I see Pahlsson dipsy doodling out there getting all surgical on the opposing team shuttin down the ice with his relentless forchecking and then seeing the glee in AV's eyes from it, I get pretty jacked about it.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Dude at this point I just want a Cup.

And IN THE PLAYOFFS....

call me old-fashioned but I'm all in favour of the 3rd & 4th lines focussing on shutdown.

Course you then need your top 2 lines to focus on scoring, which is what The Plan apparently is.

You know as well as I that the AMEX line is going to do some scoring in the playoffs.

But hey, offense schmoffense IN THE PLAYOFFS wot y'wanna do is just WIN BABY. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote:Dude at this point I just want a Cup.

And IN THE PLAYOFFS....

call me old-fashioned but I'm all in favour of the 3rd & 4th lines focussing on shutdown.

Course you then need your top 2 lines to focus on scoring, which is what The Plan apparently is.

You know as well as I that the AMEX line is going to do some scoring in the playoffs.

But hey, offense schmoffense IN THE PLAYOFFS wot y'wanna do is just WIN BABY. :mex:
Exactly. When the team has played a very skilled and exciting brand of hockey, they get criticised for being too soft. When GMMG adds the pieces of the puzzle to get tougher and being able to shutdown the opponents' skill guys, that's no good either... Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

I like what I see. It looks like Gillis is building a team that can play whatever brand of hockey they need to. They still have skill, but now also added toughness and better shutdown. I think they can have a pretty good run with this roster! 8-)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Per wrote:They still have skill, but now also added toughness and better shutdown.
The overall skill set of the Canucks is slightly overrated and little lesser than it was prior to the trade deadline, but I do look forward to us playing an exciting brand of SHUT DOWN hockey. I can't wait to see how the new Shut Down mentality of this team will play out against highly skilled teams like the Red Wings. We best be hoping that the Sedins, our only truly skilled line, get their game back in order.

Regarding toughness. Kassian is slated for 4th line duty on this team. Was Weise or Bitz not good enough to handle those 5-6 minutes a game required in 4th line toughness?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

RoyalDude wrote: Regarding toughness. Kassian is slated for 4th line duty on this team. Was Weise or Bitz not good enough to handle those 5-6 minutes a game required in 4th line toughness?
No.

And they most definitely cannot be moved up the lineup if required.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Strangelove wrote:Dude at this point I just want a Cup.

And IN THE PLAYOFFS....

If you SHUT 'EM DOWN.

You SHUT THEM UP.

Amirite, Doc?
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Arachnid wrote:Murder!

You guys are killing me, BikerDude, Donnie, Herb, Dank, Rats all of youse...can you guys just go on March Break or something' and come back when the playoffs start...jeesh and you think the team is in the doldrums for lack of a challenge... 8-)
Ken Hitchcock Presents:

"The 39 Steps to SHUTDOWN a thread" by the Old CC Gang.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Don't you mean....by the newer corner gang? Sheesh hank, cuts some bros a little slack...
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Sorry Rats, didn't mean to SHUTDOWN the new corner gang.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

It's all good hankaroo...wasn't sure if you were joining in on the festivities...or whining... :?:

I just realized it was in fact hank that started the waywardnessness of this thread....well done sir.. :mrgreen:
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Yeah Rats, I love these old skool CC pun-fest, thread demolitions!
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Umm, sarcasm or real? If I had to guess ....
Sarcreal..