Do we trade Schneider after the season?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Do we trade Schneider after the season?

Postby coco_canuck » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:50 am

Meds wrote:No, I don't. I just mean that their names will be the subject of much debate and their leash will be very short next year if they completely disappear when the game is on the line.

...Regardless, this year the Sedin's need to prove that they can either break through the pressure and produce points against defensive systems that have prepped themselves specifically to shutdown the twins, or they need to show that they can evolve their game and play something other than "sit and wait on the wall" hockey.

Thanks for clearing it up, and that's a fair assumption. I agree that twins have something to prove when it comes to matching up against tough defensive teams.

Meds wrote:What I find odd is that he brought in a player that would have perfectly complimented Hodgson's skill set.....but he gave up Hodgson to do it. It does make me more curious as to how Schroeder, who is supposed to be a speedy playmaker, is developing with the Wolves.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but a couple weeks ago Mac-T raved about Schroeder's development, and Gillis was talking him up quite a bit when there was some talk he might get a call-up.

Reports out of Chicago suggest Schroeder has greatly improved his two-way game, has increased the consistency of his game-to-game effort level, and has started putting up points after a tough start.

With his speed and 2-way ability, Schroeder seems to be a better fit on the 3rd line moving forward than Hodgson. Schroeder was a highly ranked prospect in his draft year, but the knock on him was being a more assertive player with a more consistent effort level which scared a lot of teams off. His hockey sense, pure ability, speed, dynamic quickness and potential 2-way ability was never questioned.

He's still undersized and has a ways to go, but if his development goes according to plan, he may be a solid player for us.

Meds wrote:When the Sedin's are standing still on the PP, not moving their feet, waiting for something to "just happen", not going to the net, generating absolutely nothing, and in general just wasting PP time, the second unit needs to come out over the boards alot sooner than 1:15 into the man-advantage. Also, a coach who doesn't recognize when a guy like Rome needs to sit out for a while needs to be be picked up by the neck and given a good shaking. I was encouraged to hear that Raymond has at least been moved back to the 4th line.

AV certainly has his warts, and like everyone else, he makes he scratch my head from time to time.

But a coach is ultimately judged on how individual players perform, their focus/effort, and overall team performance in the regular season and the playoffs. AV consistently gets the best out his players and every main member of this team has either developed under AV or have come in and elevated their game and have had career years.

Yes there's no cup, but he gets the team to the 2nd round at the very least and they had quite the run last season, plus multiple Division titles, and a President's trophy.

I think those factors far outweigh any reservations I have with his coaching.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Southern_Canuck » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:53 am

I don't know if this is quite the right spot for this info, and maybe HW's inside scoop indicates that this belongs in a "Do we trade Luongo?" thread, but I looked up Tampa's 2012 draft selection situation:

1st: Own (currently around 10th overall)
1st: Detroit's around 27th - acquired in the Kyle Qunicey trade
2nd: Minnesota's around 36th - acquired in the Dominick Moore trade via San Jose
2nd: Own around 40th
possible 2nd: Florida's around 46th - acquired in the Kubina trade via Philadelphia (Florida's option of either a 2012 or 2013 2nd)
2nd: Philadelphia's around 56th - acquired in the Meszaros trade
3rd: Own around 71st
4th: Own around 101st
5th: Own around 131st
6th: Own around 161st

If Florida makes the playoffs, they'll likely choose to give up the 2012 2nd, so Tampa would have two 1sts and four 2nds!!!

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Arachnid » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:09 am

Southern_Canuck wrote:I don't know if this is quite the right spot for this info, and maybe HW's inside scoop indicates that this belongs in a "Do we trade Luongo?" thread, but I looked up Tampa's 2012 draft selection situation:

1st: Own (currently around 10th overall)
1st: Detroit's around 27th - acquired in the Kyle Qunicey trade
2nd: Minnesota's around 36th - acquired in the Dominick Moore trade via San Jose
2nd: Own around 40th
possible 2nd: Florida's around 46th - acquired in the Kubina trade via Philadelphia (Florida's option of either a 2012 or 2013 2nd)
2nd: Philadelphia's around 56th - acquired in the Meszaros trade
3rd: Own around 71st
4th: Own around 101st
5th: Own around 131st
6th: Own around 161st

If Florida makes the playoffs, they'll likely choose to give up the 2012 2nd, so Tampa would have two 1sts and four 2nds!!!

S_C

To answer the thread question before it's locked down or name changed it's a resounding HELL NO, don't get married either Cory! 8-)
Socks are dead puppets :(
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby Tciso » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:31 am

donlever wrote:..personally, if I am Cory Schneider, I'm looking to move on (assuming Luongo is going to stay here) and take on a #1 role elsewhere.

The Canucks have some control due to his free agency status but if you don't strive to be the #1 QB you probably aren't worthy of being one.

Chris Osgood with Detroit???

I guess the bigger question for players is if they want to be big fish in little ponds, making big $$, or want to play their role on a winning team? If he goes for 1 year, he's chasing $$ (which I totally understand).. If he goes for a 3 year deal, he wants to be a winner. Both are good options, and both have a lot of emotional input.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Reefer2 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:45 pm

I know that he only played 26 games but CS is 3rd in SV% and 5th in GAA, if this does not garner him a chance to take the #1 spot then I don't know what does.

The 26 games he played were not just controlled games, he had Boston and Chicago.

Luongo had a pretty good January and part of February but I think it is time to see what Junior can do now and rest Luongo. As a caller once said why do the Canucks have a 2 goalie system when you don't play #2 when #1 shits the bed? Well they didn't say "shits" so I added that part.
Reefer2
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Zamboni Driver » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:02 pm

ESQ wrote:I believe Canucks still have arbitration rights on Schneider, so he can't be offersheeted (offered a sheet?)

But I hate to say it Porp, but a 1st, 2nd and 3rd is a decent return for Schneider, especially coming from a "low cap" team with high picks.

I think if you took him to arbitration it'd be a 1 year deal, and then he's a UFA. (I think?) :?

porp wrote:Now what are the chances that a low-salary team with no assets to entice MG for Schneider goes and offers a not-so-ridiculous offer sheet on him? Offer $4.8M+ and the Canucks can't/shouldn't match (unless they can get rid of Luo's contract within 7 days) and it only costs the other team a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd - less than what Schneider should be able to trade for, which could consist of draft pick(s) and at least one good proven NHLer or a couple of decent prospects.

Giving him a $4 mil raise would still be worth it. Would you rather lose MayRay + Alberts or keep Schneids?
I'd still like to keep the backup, and then work on a trade. Or you could dump Ballard in the AHL.

Either way, having Cory as an insurance policy is a huge benefit.
Look at what happens to teams that don't have a #1 goalie for a significant amount of time (goalie funk, Injury or whatever reason)
Buffalo, Tampa, Washington have lacked solid goaltending at times this season and their seasons have gone in the crapper. (Caps are still on the bubble)
Having a "1b" goalie to plug in eliminates the worry if Lu goes into an extended slump.
Zamboni Driver
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Hoss » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:28 pm

There's something about Cory's (public) attitude that I much prefer to Lu's.

I know he hasn't had to shoulder the load and deal with the Marianas Trench-like pressure of being the starter for the Canucks, but still.....

He has proven he can play (albeit in small samples), and there's that instinctive feeling that it would be a mistake to trade him. I wonder if there's anything to this stuff.
Hoss
CC Rookie

Postby Arbour » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:03 am

Assuming the salary cap does not become a major issue, the Canucks would be foolish to let Schneider go. He seems to be the real deal and Luongo for whatever reason is starting to exhibit play which raises red flags about his longevity as a constant in the net. Whether it's wear and tear, personal issues or something else, Lou appears to be a bit off. While he is still a more than competent goal tender his play at times seems to have regressed from what it once was.

The issue then becomes how do you keep Schneider, who arguably has earned a chance to have a shot at becoming a starter. Perhaps any subsequent contract could be negotiated with the explicit understanding that the Canucks are about to become a two goalie team and should it become apparent that one individual warrants more starts so be it. It may also be a subtle way of instigating a unilateral waiver of a certain NTC sooner rather than later.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby wafflecombine » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:05 am

My preference is to keep Schneids around also. I'd love to see a contract extension with healthy raise taking him through to our first move window on Lou. If Lou blows apart... etc..etc...

As for bottom 6, that's not an terribly expensive mix to move some pieces. Defense... well Tanev is ready to crack the line as 5-6 next year. Pair him with Rome or Salo. That leaves Ballard, Alberts and MAG as a question mark.

Rome is cheaper than Salo but I think Salo's hockey smarts are good for any young players development.

We will see this summer. Maybe MG will surprise the hell out of us.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby donlever » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:06 am

Tanev and Salo are both right side defenders.

Unlikely they'd play together.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby clem » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:09 am

When healthy (& not tired from too much play) Salo is our best defenseman. On his game - he makes it look easy and inspires confidence in team mates. He deserves the odd game off (or less minutes in easier games).

Tanev can be useful in taking some of the load off Salo - so when the Canucks are in tough, Salo is ready to provide high level play. Meanwhile, Tanev improves with play.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby wafflecombine » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:49 am

clem wrote:When healthy (& not tired from too much play) Salo is our best defenseman. On his game - he makes it look easy and inspires confidence in team mates. He deserves the odd game off (or less minutes in easier games).

Tanev can be useful in taking some of the load off Salo - so when the Canucks are in tough, Salo is ready to provide high level play. Meanwhile, Tanev improves with play.

Agreed. My main point though is that Salo is a great mentor for Tanev. Lots can and is likely happenning during practices and what not but there is still soemthing to be said for in-game experience. Doesn't have to always happen but I still think there is developmental benefit in pairing Tanev & Salo short term.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby clem » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:05 am

Playing on the natural side impacts D effectiveness. Our deficiency in right side D is one reason why Tanev held so much promise for us.

I expect Tanev to play with Ballard, Edler, Hamhuis, MAG, Rome. Hope Tanev merits a return soon. His play slipped considerably last fall, possibly due to adjusting to his weight increase.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Fred » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:08 am

clem wrote:Playing on the natural side impacts D effectiveness.

Our deficiency in right side D is one reason why Tanev held so much promise for us.

I expect Tanev to play with Ballard, Edler, Hamhuis, MAG, Rome. Hope Tanev merits a return soon. His play slipped considerably last fall, possibly due to adjusting to his weight increase.

I'm hoping MG can sign a possible FA Justin Schultz** to play alongside Tanev and set us up for a long time to come

** See Wolf Howls post
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby coco_canuck » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:31 am

Fred wrote:I'm hoping MG can sign a possible FA Justin Schultz** to play alongside Tanev and set us up for a long time to come

** See Wolf Howls post

I want Schultz too, but he's also a Right handed shot, so it's unlikely he'll be paired with Tanev.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat