Do we trade Schneider after the season?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Do we trade Schneider after the season?

Post by Zamboni Driver »

All of the pundits seem to be sure that Schneider has to go by July.

What if Luongo has another swoon in the playoffs?

Is there any way that we can keep Schneider for next year?
If the cap goes up by 2 or 3 million, I'd much prefer to keep CS for a couple million more rather than spend it anywhere else.

There are cases where a top $$$ goalie gets injured (Ryan Miller, DePietro) or just has a crap year.
I like the idea of having CS as well as Lu, even if it eats up some more cap.
If you promised CS half the games, I wonder if he'd sign on for a couple more years?
(again, this would be if Lu chokes in the playoffs this year)
Mark2
AHL Prospect

Re: Do we trade Schneider after the season?

Post by Mark2 »

There is certainly nothing wrong with having two starting-caliber goalies. The only problem is thinking down the road a little bit. Burrows and Edler are both free agents after next season and will probably command significant raises. So keeping Schneider might involve moving people like Ballard and letting guys like Raymond and Malhotra go when they become free agents.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I'd think logic tells us that Lack needs another season in the AHL so IMO he'll try and keep Schneider....now if Luongo/or his wife wants to return to Florida with TB. Then maybe MG might pull the trade. I don't believe many realized how good Schneider would become when they signed Luongo long term.

I guess the big payment is over with Luongo and he's now a reasonable priced quality keeper.

What will the Cap be after the new CBA ? I'm guessing that will be the key
cheers
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Zamboni Driver wrote:All of the pundits seem to be sure that Schneider has to go by July.

What if Luongo has another swoon in the playoffs?

Is there any way that we can keep Schneider for next year?
If the cap goes up by 2 or 3 million, I'd much prefer to keep CS for a couple million more rather than spend it anywhere else.

There are cases where a top $$$ goalie gets injured (Ryan Miller, DePietro) or just has a crap year.
I like the idea of having CS as well as Lu, even if it eats up some more cap.
If you promised CS half the games, I wonder if he'd sign on for a couple more years?
(again, this would be if Lu chokes in the playoffs this year)
I do not think the cap is going up by 2-3M.

We trade Schneider if the return is right. Hell, we trade ANYONE if the return is right.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So many variables. First he is RFA and I imagine if he isn't re-signed the Canucks will elect to go to arbitration to prevent an offer sheet.

It depends upon how Luongo does in the playoffs.
It depends upon how the team does in the playoffs.
It depends upon whether Cory wants out or wants to sign on for a couple of years and enjoy the ride.
It depends upon the confidence or lack thereof that the Canucks have in Luongo.
It depends upon whether Luongo wants to stay.

The short answer is there is nothing preventing us from hanging onto Cory next year. We either sign him or take him to arbitration and accept the arbitrators decision. Done and done.

It's the bigger picture stuff that has to sort itself out between now and July 1st. No question we can in all likelihood get a king's ransom for him after the playoffs. But I think MG is smart enough, and he proved it by not trading him now, to wait and see what unfolds.
The only HW the Canucks need
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Fred wrote:I'd think logic tells us that Lack needs another season in the AHL so IMO he'll try and keep Schneider....now if Luongo/or his wife wants to return to Florida with TB. Then maybe MG might pull the trade. I don't believe many realized how good Schneider would become when they signed Luongo long term.

I guess the big payment is over with Luongo and he's now a reasonable priced quality keeper.
What will the Cap be after the new CBA ? I'm guessing that will be the key
Interesting idea. Considering how many goalies have now signed in the $6 - $7 mil range, Luongo's cap & dollar are looking a lot more reasonable.
Also the teams that have gone on the cheap this season, (Toronto's Reimer -$1.8 mil, Washington's Volkun -$1.5 mil) have gotten inconsistant goalkeeping for their bargain $$$.
Investing $5.3 mil in Luongo now looks a lot more attractive to other teams too. :mrgreen:
Mark2 wrote:There is certainly nothing wrong with having two starting-caliber goalies. The only problem is thinking down the road a little bit. Burrows and Edler are both free agents after next season and will probably command significant raises. So keeping Schneider might involve moving people like Ballard and letting guys like Raymond and Malhotra go when they become free agents.
As long as Schneider's deal doesn't have an NTC (or if it kicks in year 2), perhaps trade him after next season, bring up Eddie and bump Edler & Burrows salaries.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I'd have no problem re-signing Schneider for 2-3 years if he'll take it - lots of goalies out there with about as much proven at this level as CS have signed for at or below the $2.5m mark that makes his contract easy to afford.

I think if he wants a one year deal or if you have to go to arbitration (or if someone makes an offer you just aren't going to get at any other time) then you look at trading him. His value as a pending unrestricted free agent will go into the toilet and the Canucks almost certainly won't be able to re-sign him with open competition from other teams.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

..personally, if I am Cory Schneider, I'm looking to move on (assuming Luongo is going to stay here) and take on a #1 role elsewhere.

The Canucks have some control due to his free agency status but if you don't strive to be the #1 QB you probably aren't worthy of being one.
DeLevering since 1999.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:So many variables. First he is RFA and I imagine if he isn't re-signed the Canucks will elect to go to arbitration to prevent an offer sheet.

It depends upon how Luongo does in the playoffs.
It depends upon how the team does in the playoffs.
It depends upon whether Cory wants out or wants to sign on for a couple of years and enjoy the ride.
It depends upon the confidence or lack thereof that the Canucks have in Luongo.
It depends upon whether Luongo wants to stay.

The short answer is there is nothing preventing us from hanging onto Cory next year. We either sign him or take him to arbitration and accept the arbitrators decision. Done and done.

It's the bigger picture stuff that has to sort itself out between now and July 1st. No question we can in all likelihood get a king's ransom for him after the playoffs. But I think MG is smart enough, and he proved it by not trading him now, to wait and see what unfolds.
Here Hear HW!

It depends....too early to speculate. I think the plan is to trade him for a scoring winger or a big shutdown D but that could change....

Take Care..... 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

donlever wrote:..personally, if I am Cory Schneider, I'm looking to move on (assuming Luongo is going to stay here) and take on a #1 role elsewhere.

The Canucks have some control due to his free agency status but if you don't strive to be the #1 QB you probably aren't worthy of being one.
Yeah. I guess this whole thing depends on whether the Canucks are interested in making room for Schneider eventually.

If so then I think you can neutralize this aspect of negotiations by letting him know that he will be a #1 before the end of the deal, one way or another.

If not then it's high time to find a mutually agreeable arrangement with Cory starting games for a team we play once or twice a year at most.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

dbr wrote:
If so then I think you can neutralize this aspect of negotiations by letting him know that he will be a #1 before the end of the deal, one way or another.
I think if you are going to do this you have to just do it.

Having the impending goalie change hang over the heads of Luo and Schneids for any period of time can't be a healthy scenario.
DeLevering since 1999.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

True enough. I was thinking you'd be hedging your bets in that you could still just deal Schneider if a Luongo trade wasn't happening for whatever reason - but that's just one of two outcomes and I suppose it would be pretty unlike our GM to let one player know that another was likely to be moved.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

..indeed.

I see no way to assuage Luongos potential concern over this occuring.

;)
DeLevering since 1999.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

I think Lack needs another season easily in the AHL. So if we trade Schneider, which I think is the likeliest scenario by far, it would be nice to get a decent back up in return.

I wouldn't even consider anything Tampa could offer up. Sanford has been pretty solid this season and has some history here. Another guy that used to be a back up here and I believe will be a UFA is Raycroft. I'm sure at this stage he'd come here to back up Lou.

The devils could also be a team very interested in CS. and Johan Hedberg will be a UFA.

btw- I'm not specifically trying to pick ex-Canucks... it just turned out that way.

..... oh, and Alex Auld will also be a UFA. :mrgreen:
2011..... the one that got away.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

donlever wrote:..indeed.

I see no way to assuage Luongos potential concern over this occuring.

;)
We need some hot puck girls to be responsible for the assuaging.