Zamboni Driver wrote:All of the pundits seem to be sure that Schneider has to go by July.
What if Luongo has another swoon in the playoffs?
Is there any way that we can keep Schneider for next year?
If the cap goes up by 2 or 3 million, I'd much prefer to keep CS for a couple million more rather than spend it anywhere else.
There are cases where a top $$$ goalie gets injured (Ryan Miller, DePietro) or just has a crap year.
I like the idea of having CS as well as Lu, even if it eats up some more cap.
If you promised CS half the games, I wonder if he'd sign on for a couple more years?
(again, this would be if Lu chokes in the playoffs this year)
Fred wrote:I'd think logic tells us that Lack needs another season in the AHL so IMO he'll try and keep Schneider....now if Luongo/or his wife wants to return to Florida with TB. Then maybe MG might pull the trade. I don't believe many realized how good Schneider would become when they signed Luongo long term.
I guess the big payment is over with Luongo and he's now a reasonable priced quality keeper.
What will the Cap be after the new CBA ? I'm guessing that will be the key
Mark2 wrote:There is certainly nothing wrong with having two starting-caliber goalies. The only problem is thinking down the road a little bit. Burrows and Edler are both free agents after next season and will probably command significant raises. So keeping Schneider might involve moving people like Ballard and letting guys like Raymond and Malhotra go when they become free agents.
Hockey Widow wrote:So many variables. First he is RFA and I imagine if he isn't re-signed the Canucks will elect to go to arbitration to prevent an offer sheet.
It depends upon how Luongo does in the playoffs.
It depends upon how the team does in the playoffs.
It depends upon whether Cory wants out or wants to sign on for a couple of years and enjoy the ride.
It depends upon the confidence or lack thereof that the Canucks have in Luongo.
It depends upon whether Luongo wants to stay.
The short answer is there is nothing preventing us from hanging onto Cory next year. We either sign him or take him to arbitration and accept the arbitrators decision. Done and done.
It's the bigger picture stuff that has to sort itself out between now and July 1st. No question we can in all likelihood get a king's ransom for him after the playoffs. But I think MG is smart enough, and he proved it by not trading him now, to wait and see what unfolds.
donlever wrote:..personally, if I am Cory Schneider, I'm looking to move on (assuming Luongo is going to stay here) and take on a #1 role elsewhere.
The Canucks have some control due to his free agency status but if you don't strive to be the #1 QB you probably aren't worthy of being one.
If so then I think you can neutralize this aspect of negotiations by letting him know that he will be a #1 before the end of the deal, one way or another.
Users browsing this forum: Dr. Tobias Funke, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests