BRIAN BURKE'S TORONTO MAPLE Leaves

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: BRIAN BURKE'S TORONTO MAPLE Leaves

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:51 am

mathonwy wrote: Ron Wilson wasn't BB's crony. He was hired by Cliff Fletcher. Burke just extended him when the Laughs were still in the playoff race.
Not to say that Wilson did not deserve the job, but he was hired by the interm Fletcher just months before Burke took over as GM...I'm sure Brian had a hand in the decision as it was well known that he would be taking over as the Leaves GM in the near future.

Burke and Wilson were college roommates, teammates, and co-captains on the Providence College Friars hockey team in Rhode Island in the 1970s...their freindship goes back a long way. Burke is also the Godfather of Ron Wilson's daughter. Crony is a fitting term.
mathonwy wrote: All in all, Burke's done a pretty good job with the Laughs.
Maybe if you're a Canucks fan ;)

Leaves seasons since the lockout...

Prior to BB:
05-06: 90 points
06-07: 91 points
07-08: 83 points

With BB:
08-09: 81 points
09-10: 74 points
10-11: 85 points
11-12: on pace to finish with 85 points

I don't care who the team/GM/coach is...this does not look like a pretty good job to me.

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:52 am

DavidPratt_ wrote:
Arachnid wrote:I feel sorry Double Penetration :(
YOU FEEL SORRY FOR YOUR DOUBLE PENETRATION? DID IT HURT?

DP
*looks at his signature* :eh:

What kinda ring do you wear?!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:55 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
I don't care who the team/GM/coach is...this does not look like a pretty good job to me.

...there are some Leaf fans who seem to think that the cupboards were completely bare when Burke took over and at the very least he has managed to litter the system with some youth that has the potential to become credble NHL'ers.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!

Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:57 am

I have no opinion on this subject.

(but secretly i'd like to see the Leaves make the playoffs. Not to see them humiliated, but because I have a great deal of empathy for their faithful)
2011..... the one that got away.

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:03 am

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:I have no opinion on this subject.
:shock:

donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:06 am

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
(but secretly i'd like to see the Leaves make the playoffs. Not to see them humiliated, but because I have a great deal of empathy for their faithful)
Blasphemy!

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:10 am

donlever wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:

...there are some Leaf fans who seem to think that the cupboards were completely bare when Burke took over and at the very least he has managed to litter the system with some youth that has the potential to become credble NHL'ers.

The Kessel deal is a killer, but other then that he has made some other nice moves.

There is a good amount of talent on that team now, with the right coach and a good goalie, they would be quite competitive.

Burke needs to stop searching the bargain bin for goalies though.

He should be aggressive in the Schneider sweepstakes next summer, but my guess is that he wont be willing to pay even close to what it will take to make a deal happen.

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:19 am

don lever wrote:(I would secretly like to see the Leaves make the playoffs. To see them humiliated, because I have a great deal of disdain for their faithful)
Double :wave: :wave:

edit: better Donniebrook?! 8-)
Last edited by Arachnid on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:21 am

..hey, hey now, none of that allowed..

Leaves SUCK (and all that rot)...

sheesh spidey fix that up will ya...

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:39 am

mathonwy wrote:1 : a trick that deludes : hoax <feared that the deal was a sham>
The hoax is, Burke was brought in to improve the team, and after 4 years of spending almost to the cap, he hasn't improved his club at all in any respect.

More tricks that delude from Burke when he became GM:
"I like the pressure that's put on the team," said Burke. "The pressure that's on the players and the coach and the general manager to me is a positive thing."
"We require as a team proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence," he said. "That's how our teams play."
And the real problem with the team:
"If we didn't know the group could win hockey games, then it would be, 'OK, we've got real problems and we've got to tear this thing down to the foundation and rebuild it.' But we know this team can win hockey games, and yet, we're not doing it."
That quote is from 2 years ago. The group could not win hockey games then, and they cannot win hockey games now. And thanks to Burke's Kessel trade, the group also can't lose properly.

A chart of Burke's improvement since joining the club:

2007-08 2011-12
GAA 3.08 (27th) 3.03 (27th)
SV% 89.3 (29th) 90.1 (24th)
GFA 2.74 (11th) 2.98 (6th)
PP 17.8% (15th) 20.6% (4th)
PK 78.0% (30th) 74.4% (30th)
Points 83 (12th in east) 89 (projected, 9th) (from Jan 9th, so points projection has gone down)

Going back to your dictionary definition, Burke has deluded Toronto and MLSE into believing that he is going to turn the Leaves into a Cup winner. He can't even turn them into a good team.

Tell me this: if you're the new GM of the Leaves who can see the clear need for a total rebuild, who would you rather have: Kessel and Phaneuf or Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton plus $10 million in cap space? And oh yeah, by the time the Leaves are even close to being good Kessel is going to need a new contract and a massive raise to stay in Toronto.

I'll give him full props for the Phaneuf trade, as he did absolutely rob the Flames. I don't think he was the kind of player that the Leaves needed at the time, and the salary isn't great for a team that is already near the cap, but it was a solid trade.

Other than that, can you name a single good thing Burke has done in Toronto?
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:(but secretly i'd like to see the Leaves make the playoffs. Not to see them humiliated, but because I have a great deal of empathy for their faithful)
I'm with you there, and I have far more empathy from the Canucks experience with Burke. Even one round of playoff hockey in Toronto would bring in enough revenue to boost the cap significantly. Sadly Burke's not the man to lead them there.

donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:53 am

ESQ wrote:
Other than that, can you name a single good thing Burke has done in Toronto?
A little harsh methinks.

Hey I'm no Leaf fan nor am I a Burke guy (anymore)...but...

...I'll give you two off the top of my head.

Jake Gardiner, Lupul and a 4th for Beauchamin.

Aulie for Carter Ashton.

coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:00 am

donlever wrote: ...I'll give you two off the top of my head.

Aulie for Carter Ashton.
Fuck the Leaves and all...and I hope they continue to cocktease their fans with decent starts only to flounder when it matters the most...but there's another good move to add to that: Kaberle for Colborne, a 1st and a 2nd.

donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:04 am

..yeah.

I mean clearly he's not setting the world on fire with quick turnarounds but the system was left in shambles by JF and he has set them up much more nicely with young talent and picks (other than the Kessel debacle of course) and a barn not completely devoid of talent....

Story is not over yet.

dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:09 am

coco_canuck wrote:
donlever wrote: ...I'll give you two off the top of my head.

Aulie for Carter Ashton.
Fuck the Leaves and all...and I hope they continue to cocktease their fans with decent starts only to flounder when it matters the most...but there's another good move to add to that: Kaberle for Colborne, a 1st and a 2nd.
Agreed that all three of those deals were solid, but I always saw the Kaberle trade as Chiarelli's reach around for the Kessel deal. Burkie only gets partial credit there, in my books.

donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:13 am

You jest?