BRIAN BURKE'S TORONTO MAPLE leaves

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: BRIAN BURKE'S TORONTO MAPLE leaves

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
You're barking a bit big for someone who has never played organized sports.
Pratt probably thinks finding the caps locks button is a sport...
yeah, what's up with ALL CAPS? :?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:
yeah, what's up with ALL CAPS? :?
SCHTIC... :crazy:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

mathonwy wrote:It's fun to see how one of the most visible hockey teams in the league has been run into the ground and what BB is doing to try to lead it to prominence again.
BB is basically giving a lesson on how not to "re-build", which I agree is fairly entertaining. By the end of Burke's tenure, even JFJr will have a better legacy, and that's a shock.
While I take great pleasure at seeing the Laughs fail (based on the fact that if you're a REAL Canuck fan, then you MUST hate the Laughs), I think it would be pretty cool to have lots of powerful Canadian teams in the hunt and subsequently take hockey madness in Canada to the next level.

We're pretty damn passionate about our hockey as it is, imagine if all Canadian teams were legitimate playoff teams? That would absolutely insane (in a good way) :)
When was the last time they came close, was it 2004? I seem to recall the Canucks beat the Oilers in one of the last few games to keep them from making it all 6 Canadian teams in the playoffs. Ah, karma :lol:

I really believe the Jets are on the rise, they're a well-built, properly put together hockey team. The Oilers I'm not so sure, they way they look today they need their top-level forwards to take a MASSIVE leap forward to become a playoff team. The Habs - well, its the East, anything can happen. They at least have a great goalie, and with a good coach and just a couple pieces they could be back near the top.

...and then there's the leaves. Could they make the playoffs next year? I'd say doubtful, as I expect Kessel and Lupul to come back to earth. The year after? They'd better, because after that Kessel is a UFA. If they don't and Kessel walks, then where are they?
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

With Lupul going down, Kessel has completely stopped scoring and subsequently, the Laughs have been shut in back-to-backs which has effectively finished their season.

I think there's a 2.something percent chance of them making the playoffs right now.

Yeah, Burkie REALLY fucked the dog on the Kessel trade. That trade is going to haunt the team for the next decade.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Brilliant thank you made my day
cheers
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

The laughs are almost there. They just don't have the right mix. The real guys.

Like Burkie says, ”Hockey is a man's game. The team with the most real men wins.”

It's simple. ;)
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

nothing makes me happier than watching the fucking leaves lose over and over...Toronto...the centre of the urinal...
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

From Spector Hockey
has anyone seen Brian Burke and Barack Obama in the same room together?

I mean, Christ, look at those similarities. The timing is uncanny – Burke and Obama landed their current jobs within 25 days of one another. Neither of them would have been hired if not for the idiot that came before them and both had to start their gig by digging themselves out of a hole halfway down to the Earth’s molten core. Obama‘s regime has been tarnished by the lack of a clear and consistent message: Ditto Burke (remember Pugnacity, Testosterone, Truculence and Belligerence?). Both appear to repel elite NHL goaltenders. Neither can seem to get control of the centre.

There are some differences of course. Obama kills the enemies of America with extreme prejudice (and without due process), while Kerry Fraser and Jim Hughson are still walking around without a scratch. Burke is progressive on gay rights, was born in the USA, and only has one crazy old white guy who regularly attacks him on television. Regardless, the similarities seem to be endless. We’ve started a list:
•Their first names both start with the letter B.
•They both have Irish-sounding surnames.
•Both received law degrees from Harvard.
•They both came to power in November, 2008 due in large part to the disastrous administrations that directly preceded them.
•Both promised hope and change and have greatly under-delivered. (On the other hand, many critics seem to have completely forgotten what things looked like in November 2008).
•Both terrify rooms full of rich white people (tea party meetings, leaves dressing room).
•Obama killed Osama Bin Laden, eliminating a long-lasting menace to the American people. Burke traded Toskala.
•Neither has governed the United States of America as a progressive leftist.
•Only chance either has of winning in the near future is if the opposition lies down and lets them win (Lucky for Obama: The Republicans appear to be doing this by nominating Romney or Santorum. Burke will have a harder time convincing 29 teams to stop trying. Except Columbus).
•Burke does his work in stealth: Jason Blake trade. Obama too: drones, secret-rendition, warrantless surveillance, etc.
•Obama has wasted an unfathomable amount of money by escalating the unwinnable war in Afghanistan. Burke signed Mike Komisarek.
•While Obama retained the services of several key members of the previous Administration (Ben Bernanke, Robert Gates), his decision to not keep Bush speechwriter David Frum means he has no one from Ontario on his team either.
•Both could beat Kevin Lowe in a barn fight.

Put any others you can think of in the comments. Once we have a complete list...we can figure out what it means.

cheers
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

mathonwy wrote: ......................Yeah, Burkie REALLY fucked the dog on the Kessel trade. That trade is going to haunt the team for the next decade.
He must twitch when he see's where Tyler Seguins at & realises he could've had him .
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

I'm afraid the leaves rate a resounding "meh" in my books. I see Burke replaced by mid-next season at the latest. As for the rest of the team. Who knows. I feel sorry for Reimer. Had a great start, got a concussion... then the whole team seemed to get a concussion. In a better, development based organization like our, Reimer would have been great.

Now he looks like a short-timer worrying about walking point. :crazy:

Just like the Oilers. Big changes there in the off season.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Lol I just got the reference :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still one of my favourite radio moments.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Ever get the feeling that Burke was damn lucky GIguere was already in Anaheim?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

tantalum wrote:Ever get the feeling that Burke was damn lucky GIguere was already in Anaheim?
And Getzlaf, and Perry, and Robbie N .....
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
tantalum wrote:Ever get the feeling that Burke was damn lucky GIguere was already in Anaheim?
And Getzlaf, and Perry, and Robbie N .....
Well of course but the guy is absolutely hopeless at evaluating goaltenders.