Canucks get Zack Kassian

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks get Zack Kassian

Post by tantalum »

Island Nucklehead wrote: We'll have to reserve judgement on this for a few years. If the Canucks win the cup in that time, it will be worth it, if not... it could hurt a lot watching Hodgson develop as a Sabre.
Well the last couple of games it's been hurting Sabre fans watching him develop. With him on a second line his skating issues are really coming to the forefront. He has a lot of work to do on that part of his game. Given he's not the size of the twins he arguably has more work to do in that aspect then they ever did.

Carlson might be targetted in a Schneider trade. I can certainly see it.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

tantalum wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: We'll have to reserve judgement on this for a few years. If the Canucks win the cup in that time, it will be worth it, if not... it could hurt a lot watching Hodgson develop as a Sabre.
Well the last couple of games it's been hurting Sabre fans watching him develop. With him on a second line his skating issues are really coming to the forefront. He has a lot of work to do on that part of his game. Given he's not the size of the twins he arguably has more work to do in that aspect then they ever did.

Carlson might be targetted in a Schneider trade. I can certainly see it.
Yeah, apparently he hasn't been performing well. But it's a couple games in. The Canucks were developing Hodgson the right way, sheltering his minutes, playing him sparingly, helping him succeed etc. The Sabres are going to throw this kid to the wolves. He's better than the Sedins were at this point in their development in terms of individual offensive skill. My thinking is that he'll figure it out sooner or later.

I think the biggest thing this trade shows is Gillis' balls. He's willing to move the Franchise's best prospects. Granted, Schneider is a different (and more proven) animal, but he's in a very similar position to Hodgson. He's stuck in a depth chart that's fairly filled at his position. I expect Gillis to move him after seeing what he did in the Hodgson deal.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Hodgson would have been great if he had come along in another couple of years time. He couldn't play wing or didn't want to but really lacked the speed to cover defensively ( the old adage for a centre was first out and first back ) If all the rumours are true his father requested move Kesler to the wing to make room for his son :eh:

I listened to Kelly Hrudey and he said basically the same he should have stayed shut his face...apprenticed under two of the best centres in the league and become a great player. Well he's given that up and wants instant gratification. Hrudey recalled the benefits he enjoyed working as a back up behind Billy Smith on and off the ice.

How Hodgson looked Schneider in the eye I don't know. Cory is the epitome of patience and frankly grateful for the training he's getting and had. I watched a clip of Bieska talking about the loyalty he feels for the Canucks for the opportunity and time and effort they gave him, as he said that's just the way i feel. You wonder if he was having a dig at Hodgson.

The Hodgson family just didn't get it, I can't find myself saying good luck Cody.
cheers
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hodgon's an elite prospect. Kid's done a lot in his junior career and he put up with a lot of garbage, just and unjust, in Vancouver.

I'm not privy to any of the back-door dealings that may (or apparently did) go on, but from this guy's perspective the kid bode his time and was given his first legit chances this year and did alright.

He wanted more icetime, and if we're honest we'll admit that most of the city was clamoring for it too. Frankly, I can't blame the kid. He was performing and he deserved the chance to play more. If his old man bitched and moaned, that's unfortunate, but it wouldn't be the first time. Frankly, I would've been happy had Gillis taken the high road and just said "No, he didn't" ask for a trade. Avoid the distraction, move on.

It's all moot now. He's gone. There's no point wishing poorly on him, just hoping that Kassian sticks to his work ethic and becomes a mean motherfucker that puts up the points. He is most certainly what the Canucks lack and exactly the kind of player I wanted. So I won't complain about the deal (save to say my Brampton Battalion signed Hodgson jersey will have to get framed regardless), but selfishly I hope it doesn't blow up in our face.

I do like what Gillis has done making our team more "traditional". Hodgson was great as a third wave when Sedin or Kesler slowed down, however taking either one out of our lineup means we're fucked anyways. SP has the ability to play a true third line role, and hopefully he can do it.

Ultimately, in the roles assigned regarding the makeup of this team: Kassian + Sami > Hodgson.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Fred wrote: If all the rumours are true his father requested move Kesler to the wing to make room for his son :eh:
I wouldn't put too much stock in that rumour - I STARTED IT!! :lol:

Wotever he's gone so I don't care, but I'll always be grateful to him for playing well enough to garner...

Zack Freakin Kassian!

Having said that I feel fairly confident in saying Hods eventually turns into a solid #2 centre.

If his back holds up.

Hmmm he's in Beantown tonight... :shock:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

You must have a direct line to Kelly Hrudey he made mention of parent involvement. In fact he went on about the parents always wanting the best for their kids etc and said there a time a place but not in the NHL. It's a job you don't see parents marching down to see the Foreman or Manager where ever they maybe employed and asking for their children be promoted....so why hockey. He's been in the league for one year and has gone through 2 agents.
cheers
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hodgson has three points in his last 18 games. He is Pahlsson lite.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

I think they were targeting Eric Gudbranson more so than Kulikov as he fits what there needs is more...only my opinion..
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Island Nucklehead wrote: He wanted more icetime, and if we're honest we'll admit that most of the city was clamoring for it too. Frankly, I can't blame the kid. He was performing and he deserved the chance to play more.
Problem was that he actually wasn't performing. He was slumping and getting outplayed by the opposition night in and night out. Now I'm not slamming the kid but he really wasn't deserving at that time (perhaps January he was). Just the truth. ANd really I can blame him if the request was made (and it seems like it was). He is a rookie the team was developing, not a veteran getting reduced icetime for no reason. Even if it was for one meeting he went the "me" route. It wasn't the time for that.

But he's gone. I wish him and the Sabres well.

^^^forgot about Gulbrandson
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Poor Cody was -1 and no points in B-town tonight in a loss :(

Not that' I'm keeping tabs on the trade :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
jkibler
AHL Prospect

Post by jkibler »

Arachnid wrote:Poor Cody was -1 and no points in B-town tonight in a loss :(

so how did Kassian do last night!!!!! lol
how much ice time? how many hits??

LOL
:lol:
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

jkibler wrote:

LOL

Kassian 2 points in 5 games and far bigger contributor than 0 point Hodgson has been in 6 games. Both are young. Both have a lot of learning to do. But it's not even a question right now who has played better overall since the trade.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

jkibler wrote:

LOL
We won, you lost, we are in the playoffs, you are not, you live in Buttalope, Zack does not... 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
jkibler
AHL Prospect

Post by jkibler »

tantalum wrote:
jkibler wrote:

LOL

Kassian 2 points in 5 games and far bigger contributor than 0 point Hodgson has been in 6 games. Both are young. Both have a lot of learning to do. But it's not even a question right now who has played better overall since the trade.

and it has NOTHING to do with the quality of the team??? you wanted Kassian for toughness, how many fights has he turned down now?? They questioned his heart in Rochester, and he is showing you all why
jkibler
AHL Prospect

Post by jkibler »

Arachnid wrote:
jkibler wrote:

LOL
We won, you lost, we are in the playoffs, you are not, you live in Buttalope, Zack does not... 8-)

WE live in the United States! you live in Canada!! enough said! :P