Canucks get Zack Kassian

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks get Zack Kassian

Post by tantalum »

Arachnid wrote: Our time is now (especially in light of the Bruins and Preds moves) not in 5 years time...and besides, we can get Nash for Schnieds July 1st 8-)
I think the time is now and in the future. I'm not sure how to evaluate the Hodgson for Pahlsson swap in the lineup for the team this year. I don't think it's a bad swap for the purposes of this year.

It really is a deal that we wait and see what happens. I think Gillis did good in getting Gragnani in the deal. IN the limited amount I've watched BUffalo I've liked the kid.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

dhabums wrote:
mathonwy wrote: Why are we trading for Kassian right now and not in the summer?
Maybe because the scouting staff has been watching him play rather than reading NHL.com stats pages?

==

Anyone wanting the real breakdown of this trade should go to Calpuke.
I don't like it.

Earlier in the season, Buffalo took over being the softest team in the league moniker when Miller got run by Lucic.

So, at the trade deadline... they get rid of Gaustad and they get rid of Kassian.

I don't know. Something just feels wrong.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Remember when the kiddies cried after Linden was traded for Bertuzzi and McCabe?
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

mathonwy wrote:
dhabums wrote:
mathonwy wrote: I don't know. Something just feels wrong.
Look at it this way; yo ujust dumped your sweet, trustworthy girlfriend that was marriage material for a nasty, do anything slut that will be fun for awhile.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

tantalum wrote:
Arachnid wrote: Our time is now (especially in light of the Bruins and Preds moves) not in 5 years time...and besides, we can get Nash for Schnieds July 1st 8-)
I think the time is now and in the future. I'm not sure how to evaluate the Hodgson for Pahlsson swap in the lineup for the team this year. I don't think it's a bad swap for the purposes of this year.

It really is a deal that we wait and see what happens. I think Gillis did good in getting Gragnani in the deal. IN the limited amount I've watched BUffalo I've liked the kid.
That's the thing Tant, I get my Free Over The Air HDTV feed from across the water in Buffalo, I've seen what this guy can do, at worst he is our 4th, at best he is another Edler...is that so bad to give up CoHo for that? It might even let us move on from the Luc Bourdon pain.... 'nuff said 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Well...we know buffalo didn't just get tougher..gritwise I mean
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Old Stick
AHL Prospect

Post by Old Stick »

Arachnid wrote:
Old Stick wrote:This is great for Cody. He'll get way more ice time in Buffalo and probably won't have to deal with a coach that doesn't have much respect for him.

But we don't get much in the way of a return that helps right now. If Kassian isn't ready for Buffalo he sure as fuck isn't ready for the Canucks. And a bottom 6 D? Really?

Gillis gave Cody a chance to play somewhere he'll be valued and took a shit in Vigneault's hat while he was at it.
How so? He just gave him a top 6 and maybe a top 4 D man FrancoFuckingPhone Gragnani is the wild card...he develops in the next few years with Tanev and Edler and we won't miss Sammy when he says adieu....
As I said - no help right now...the last 5 games the Sabres have barely used FrancoFuckingPhone Gragnani and sat him out once. He's on pace for 1 goal and 15 assists - woohoo. The 2014 playoffs will be his time. If his promise pans out.

Kassian's recent story is pretty similar except he goes back and forth more than FrancoFuckingPhone Gragnani. If he sticks around for a 46 game season he's on pace for 5 goals and 6 assists. Woofuckinhoo. Again maybe 2014.

Meantime Hodgson's production goes to Buffalo, where, under the lens of the estern media, he probably will win he Calder unless the Nuge suddenly gets well and goes on a tear. Mind you, Cody will get more ice time in Buffalo - maybe a lot more - and then we'll see how fast he makes this trade look really, really dumb.

ps...go here and find either of these guys on the Buffalo roster. http://sabres.nhl.com/club/roster.htm
Last edited by Old Stick on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Arachnid wrote:Again, it's not about Kassian/Hodgson straight up....if it were, we lost already...no argument....Gragnani is and will be a good young NHL defence man...do you know how hard that is to say? Then say this...no more Rome'n in the the wrong corner...no more Albert'a bound'n to the penalty box.....
I have to admit I know nothing of Marc-Andre Gragnani other than he has decent size and decent numbers on a shitty team.

I really like Cody, but I guarantee you AV would play Pahlsson more than Hodgson in big games.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

herb wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Again, it's not about Kassian/Hodgson straight up....if it were, we lost already...no argument....Gragnani is and will be a good young NHL defence man...do you know how hard that is to say? Then say this...no more Rome'n in the the wrong corner...no more Albert'a bound'n to the penalty box.....
I have to admit I know nothing of Marc-Andre Gragnani other than he has decent size and decent numbers on a shitty team.
Gragnani was a team leading +10 for the Sabres (next best was +3) averaging just over 16 mins/game.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Old Stick wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
Old Stick wrote:This is great for Cody. He'll get way more ice time in Buffalo and probably won't have to deal with a coach that doesn't have much respect for him.

But we don't get much in the way of a return that helps right now. If Kassian isn't ready for Buffalo he sure as fuck isn't ready for the Canucks. And a bottom 6 D? Really?

Gillis gave Cody a chance to play somewhere he'll be valued and took a shit in Vigneault's hat while he was at it.
How so? He just gave him a top 6 and maybe a top 4 D man FrancoFuckingPhone Gragnani is the wild card...he develops in the next few years with Tanev and Edler and we won't miss Sammy when he says adieu....
As I said - no help right now...the last 5 games the Sabres have barely used FrancoFuckingPhone Gragnani and sat him out once. He's on pace for 1 goal and 15 assists - woohoo. The 2014 playoffs will be his time. If his promise pans out.

Kassian's recent story is pretty similar except he goes back and forth more than FrancoFuckingPhone Gragnani. If he sticks around for a 46 game season he's on pace for 5 goals and 6 assists. Woofuckinhoo. Again maybe 2014.

Meantime Hodgson's production goes to Buffalo, where, under the lens of the estern media, he probably will win he Calder unless the Nuge suddenly gets well and goes on a tear. Mind you, Cody will get more ice time in Buffalo - maybe a lot more - and then we'll see how fast he makes this trade look really, really dumb.
You live in the Future, su....su...su...son 8-)
Old Stick
AHL Prospect

Post by Old Stick »

Arachnid wrote:
Old Stick wrote:and then we'll see how fast he makes this trade look really, really dumb.
You live in the Future, su....su...su...son 8-)
[/quote]

I don't even know what you might be trying to say.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

herb wrote:

I really like Cody, but I guarantee you AV would play Pahlsson more than Hodgson in big games.
Bingo, CoHo would mean diddly squat in this years run... Cory is our ace in the hole, he will bring a big return in the Summer so that Auld Fartz can get a hard-on for some futuristic offensive dynamo...we get in his return... 8-)
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

While I am disappointed to see Hodgson go, Kassian definitely increases our assh**e quotient significantly!

We will be much tougher to play against.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

I hate to see Hodgson go, but Kassian is exactly the type of player that the Canucks don't have - so we'll see how he does...

Will an "immature" Kassian fit in with the mostly mature Canucks?

On January 21, 2010, Kassian was handed a 20-game suspension by the OHL for his hit to the head of Barrie Colts forward Matt Kennedy.[2] Also in the 2011 IIHF world juniors, Kassian was handed a 2-game suspension for his hit to the head on Czech defenceman Petr Senkerik.

In May 2010, Kassian was charged with assault after an altercation outside of a downtown Windsor, Ontario bar. In October 2010, Kassian reached an agreement that saw the assault charge laid against him in May dropped. As part of the deal, Kassian, 19, must perform 25 hours of community service. He will also make a $500 donation to charity and pay for the dental work of the other person involved in the incident. Kassian was arrested shortly after the completion of the Memorial Cup after an altercation at a Windsor bar. If convicted of the charge, Kassian could have run into difficulty crossing the Canada-U.S. border as he looks to continue his hockey career.

On April 23, 2011, Kassian was suspended 4 games for an intent to injure match penalty he received at the end of a playoff game vs the Owen Sound Attack on April 23, 2011.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Oh, and I have watched a few Buffalo games this season, and Gragnani looked very promising for his offensive upside.

Didn't watch too carefully on how he performed in his own end, but he made some great passes and created chances in the offensive zone.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!