Canucks get Zack Kassian

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks get Zack Kassian

Post by tantalum »

I think what people are most confused over is that this deadline deal was very much a hockey trade. We're not used to assessing this type of trade on this day. We're usually arguing over whether a second round pick is too much to give up for old player X.

It's a hcoeky deal with something in it for both teams. If Gillis and company have made the right assessments they actually have a good chance to WIN this deal out right. I see a lot of "Kassian sucks" over the various boards. Far from it. He is a hell of a promising prospect. If he can translate his early AHL promise (by early I mean this past October for goodness sakes not several years ago) you could be looking at 20 goal scoring power forward next season.

Do not be surprised to see Kassian planting his ample frame in front of the net on the second unit PP.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

tantalum wrote:

Do not be surprised to see Kassian planting his ample frame in front of the net on the second unit PP.
I wouldnt be shocked to see him get a chance on the first unit. If Kesler is still on the first then who is the 2nd unit center ?
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

tantalum wrote: People shouldn't sell Kassian short....
Agreed -- Kassian has great upside, but I think there is more volatility in Kassian. I don't mean suspensions or assault charges; I mean risk that the downside is a marginal NHL player as opposed to a second line center (Hodgson's downside unless injury makes it worse).
tantalum wrote:DO the canucks lose something on the third line? Perhaps they lose some offense, though as much as I like Cody to me it looked like he was beginning to a wall. COuld he step it up down the stretch and in the playoffs? Perhaps but also a possibility he struggles a lot. No idea really, but I don't think he was going to be the saviour of the team in the playoffs.
My feeling is that Cody Hodgson is the kind of player that scores huge goals at the right time and that he will earn a reputation for being a clutch player. There is some of that in his hostory, but a lot of it is just a feeling because our sample size is pretty small.
Hono_rary Canadian
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

black ace wrote:If I was to guess Gillis probably called about Gaustad and Buffalo asked for Hodgson. Gillis said no way. Buffalo then said what would it take and Gillis went after a big tough prospect about the same age.

If Hodgson was ever going to be traded Kassian is exactly the type of guy I would want back. Lets hope he becomes a 2nd line winger though. Hodgson will be a good 2nd line center probably right away.
A few clips of the new kid, Zach Kassian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1qudbtB-MA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFMkLx8Vus4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfuU_bay0kE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC1ZLG0rfP0
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Honestly, I'd rather have a proven asset in our line up this playoffs then an unproven asset.

Coho is a proven asset, he's scored some timely goals for us and is going to develop into a very solid top 6 centerman in years to come. Incredibly hard to knock around, controls the puck very well and has very good on ice vision. Sad to see him go.

From a fans point of view that has seen almost no Sabres game, this is a massive gamble. I sure hope Kassian is ready to play for our team as expectations are absolutely through the roof.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Hank wrote: My only immediate concern is that the 2nd power play drops big time with Raymond or Burrows trying to run the show.
Gragnani's one immediate useful skill may be on the PP.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Strangelove wrote:BOLD MOVE INDEED

Topper will be happy!!

Black Ace you beat me by 2 minutes because I waited to see who we gave up!

love Hodgson, LOVE Kassian.

Nice to see Gillis adding the physicality this season some of us were calling for.

KASSIAN, Booth, Bitz, Weise!

Didn't get our beast defenseman, but oh well....
Doc does Kassian fit the description of 'asshole'?

Gotta be close right?
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

This looks like a deadline discussion that morphed into a hockey trade.

We need D depth now (especially on the right) & Buffalo had this to spare. However, Gragnani has had trouble switching from left to right side.

Kassian is for the future.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

I think what makes me a bit skeptical (and i'm sure there are others who might think this) is that we have brought in guys that were young former first rounders before that were billed as a future top 6 power forward. Oddly enough, both Taylor Pyatt and Steve Bernier came here via Buffalo. Third time is the charm?

On the other hand, i completely understand why this was done. We had a center who wasnt going to see anything above the 3rd line for years outside of injuries. We get a guy who certainly has the size and snarl to keep the opposition honest, assuming he can reach his potential of a top 6 F. Sulzer was purely a depth Dman and is only a factor when significant injuries come up while MAG looks like a top 6 already on this club with top 4 potential.

Its basically a 2 for 1 deal. We get the size that will (hopefully) not hurt us on the top lines and a promising young Dman for a good young center.

I like to follow our prospects as they climb the depth chart so i'm sad to see Hodgson go. You really can't get too attached to anyone so if it helps the team, then i guess its what we had to do. If it backfires, we can always fire Gillis. :)
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

best case scenario:

we win the cup with luongo. in the offseason, we trade Lu to Buffalo for Coho, a first and a pick, then we resign ginger.

perfect :)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Madcombinepilot wrote:best case scenario:

we win the cup with luongo. in the offseason, we trade Lu to Buffalo for Coho, a first and a pick, then we resign ginger.

perfect :)
Miller/Luongo!!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

nah. with Schnieds, we wont need miller :)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

UWSaint wrote: Agreed -- Kassian has great upside, but I think there is more volatility in Kassian. I don't mean suspensions or assault charges; I mean risk that the downside is a marginal NHL player as opposed to a second line center (Hodgson's downside unless injury makes it worse).
I'm not sure I actually buy that. Hodgson is a smart smart player but he may always have some trouble with his size and speed. But he has also had a serious injury and a concussion. I think it'll be interesting to see how he does in Buffalo where he is going to likely see some tougher minutes. That said I really liked Hodgson and think he will be a very good player.

I'm not sure Kassian is a hit or miss prospect. I see a lot of "he sometimes doesn't try/work ethic is bad" from Sabre fans right now. Things is a first year pro does not go into the AHL score at 40ish goal and PPG pace out of the gate and force the parent club to get him into game in the NHL by being lazy. He is certainly raw but he is a hell of a prospect having a GREAT first pro season.
My feeling is that Cody Hodgson is the kind of player that scores huge goals at the right time and that he will earn a reputation for being a clutch player. There is some of that in his hostory, but a lot of it is just a feeling because our sample size is pretty small.
I don't disagree. But to score those big goals you have to be on the ice and I just don't see him getting that type of icetime in the big games right now. The more I think about ti the more I think that the deal does not hurt the canucks this year at all. Going forward if KAssian can become that power winger in the top 6 and Gragnani can be that #4 it is very hard for Gillis to "lose" the deal. And while many will evaluate that and say "but all the ifs on the canucks side" they ignore that there are some big ifs on the Sabre side as well.

As I said it's a hockey deal.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

tantalum wrote: I'm not sure Kassian is a hit or miss prospect. I see a lot of "he sometimes doesn't try/work ethic is bad" from Sabre fans right now. Things is a first year pro does not go into the AHL score at 40ish goal and PPG pace out of the gate and force the parent club to get him into game in the NHL by being lazy. He is certainly raw but he is a hell of a prospect having a GREAT first pro season.
Doesn't try / work ethic is a description of most of the Sabres team this season. I don't know much about Kassian, but playing for a crap team with no direction in your first year is far removed from the situation Cody has started in.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Madcombinepilot wrote:nah. with Schnieds, we wont need miller :)
I meant as BUF duo.