Canucks get Zack Kassian

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

old calamari
CC Veteran

Re: Canucks get Zack Kassian

Post by old calamari »

as long as kassian causes loose bowel syndrom in all the rats like bolland and doughty out here in the west in the playoffs he does more than hodgson would have done. when the reffs put away their whistles we all know what happend last year. be no more bitch slappin the twins . shit just look what happened so far this year when bitz is on the ice in the games that he has played. kassian is something the canucks have missed since bert left. he will develop twice as fast here as he would have in buffalo.
nyintensity
CC Veteran

Post by nyintensity »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Everything I have heard suggests he is poor defensively and soft, but then again I heard the same criticisms of Christian Ehrhoff too.
Funny...that's pretty much all we've seen from Christian Ehrhoff this year.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

For those who say Kassian can't skate - you're wrong. He's not David Booth but he's decent and has a good top speed. He's also very young and will get better.

I watched him play a number of times in the O and he's as mean as they come - which is probably needed on this team. He's also huge and has good hands. These guys don't grow on trees.

He'll be a 30 point guy right off the bat, and has a chance to become something much better. He should make this team tougher to play against this playoffs, especially once you consider Pahlsson will be in the lineup as well. Gillis has built this team for the playoffs, not for the regular season.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
nyintensity wrote: That's what good GM's do. If they don't do that, OMGTHEYSUCK!!!! ;)
I think potentially it's a win win for both teams. The Sabres get a skilled high end centre who would have trouble playing on the top two lines for the next 4 or 5 years. Vancouver hopefully gets a tough, mean forward who is big and can chip in 15 - 20 goals in the near future.

Gragnani is a wild card here . Everything I have heard suggests he is poor defensively and soft, but then again I heard the same criticisms of Christian Ehrhoff too.
Gragnani is Buffalo's Mason Raymond - every little problem becomes magnified. He's happy to be out of there and I can see why. I think he's got very good potential and he's got some really good coaches and mentors to learn to play D here in Van. hopefully he can tighten up his D ecause he's very good offensively and below average defensively.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Because we should have gotten Clowe or Lucic along with a 1st rounder back for Hodgson and Alberts. Gillis isn't supposed to make decent/good deals that might benefit both teams, he's supposed to rape every team in every deal.
Right I forgot.

Gillis got good value for Hodgson. LIkely as much value as he was ever going to get. Another year on the third line and second unit PP getting 40 points wasn't going to increase that value the more I think about it.

It will be interesting to see what happens here.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vpete wrote:
Strangelove wrote:BOLD MOVE INDEED

Topper will be happy!!

Black Ace you beat me by 2 minutes because I waited to see who we gave up!

love Hodgson, LOVE Kassian.

Nice to see Gillis adding the physicality this season some of us were calling for.

KASSIAN, Booth, Bitz, Weise!

Didn't get our beast defenseman, but oh well....
Doc does Kassian fit the description of 'asshole'?

Gotta be close right?
THE ASSHOLIEST!! :D

The guy just exudes assholishness....

LOL @ Lancer's rant... ewww someone has a "lance" for Cody! ;)

As for the end result of deadline day....

Call me old-fashioned, but I like the idea of shutdown centres on 3rd & 4th lines going into the playoffs.

My name is Strangelove and I approve these trades.

Just wish Gillis could've acquired that #4 RS asshole D of course....
____
Try to focus on someday.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

nyintensity wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Everything I have heard suggests he is poor defensively and soft, but then again I heard the same criticisms of Christian Ehrhoff too.
Funny...that's pretty much all we've seen from Christian Ehrhoff this year.
I honestly don't watch the sabres that much but if the forwards do not participate in the transition game and backcheck that well Ehrhoff will suffer. He's a very nice piece on a puck moving team.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:HAs Kyle Beach stood toe to toe with tough kids like Matt Martin and TKO'd a tough dude like Tom Sestito ??? Nope , Beach gets his ass wiped by almost everyone.
Matt Martin... would that be the same Matt Martin that has won all of two of the 11 NHL fights he's been in this season? Guess Kassian just proved he can do what other mediocre 4th line goons can do. Really valuable come playoff time. About as valuable as Beach getting his ass handed to him in the A.
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Did Kyle Beach even get a sniff on a WJC team ? Again not even close.

Yeah, he got to the WJCs - where he tallied 2 goals in 5 games before getting suspended with a BS hit. See how long the suspension gets if he tries that in the NHL.
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Has Beach won a Memorial Cup ? Not to my knowledge.

Check the Memorial Cup stats. I see a lot of Hall, Nemisz, Loktionov, Ellis, Cundari, Cam Fowler and Eric Wellwood amongst the top scorers from Windsor, but no Kassian. Seems he was more a passenger than a driver of that bus.
Blob Mckenzie wrote:It seems you have lovers nuts for Cody and I like him myself but he wasn't going to get the opportunity here and nor should he have...... unless you are suggesting Henrik or Kesler should be dealt????

I got a soft-spot for the silent 'G' - but not quite the Greco-Roman kind to which you allude. Frankly I would have hoped his career could mirror that of the Twins - start on the 3rd line and work your way up. That said, if that scenario was not in the plans, the least Gillis could have done is gone after something better than a Beach clone with healthier shoulders. How will 7 points in 27 games and a minus-1 make any appreciable impact on the Canucks' chances in this year's playoffs? Will this kid scare anyone in the playoffs outside of his coaching staff? Conversely, how much would 20 goals and a decent option at centre on the 2nd unit PP contribute to a long run this Spring? If you're going to trade off Hodgson, why not wait until the draft?
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Lots of sour grapes here for a guy who is 21 and was rated very highly by a LOT of NHL scouts/GM's etc.
No doubt Libor Polasek, Shawn Antoski and Jim Sandlak were quite highly-regarded by scouts and GMs who get wet at the site of any hockey player over 6'3" and tipping over 200 lbs. Look how well they turned out.
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Because we should have gotten Clowe or Lucic along with a 1st rounder back for Hodgson and Alberts. Gillis isn't supposed to make decent/good deals that might benefit both teams, he's supposed to rape every team in every deal.
I don't care if Gillis rapes another GM at the deadline as long as he doesn't get raped himself. IMO, he got raped because he got seduced by a knuckle-dragger who managed to score some goals in junior, beat up some teens on the ice and throw dangerous hits to the head. I would have thought Gillis would know better.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Diehard1 wrote: Gragnani is Buffalo's Mason Raymond - every little problem becomes magnified. He's happy to be out of there and I can see why. I think he's got very good potential and he's got some really good coaches and mentors to learn to play D here in Van. hopefully he can tighten up his D ecause he's very good offensively and below average defensively.
Like most young offensive d-men, Gragnani tends to give up costly turnovers.

He might turn out to be just lovely, but frankly I'd rather not have to deal with his growing pains in the P/Os. :look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Strangelove wrote:LOL @ Lancer's rant... ewww someone has a "lance" for Cody!
I don't so much love Hodgson so much as I hate Kassian. Gillis essentially used the 10th spot of the 2009 draft on a knuckle-dragging douche who will struggle to have a meaningful NHL career.

I would love for the Canucks to make something out of Kassian, after which I will be standing by the water fountain for them to turn it into a wine spigot.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Potatoe1 wrote: If he can be a 20 goal 40 point guy with his size and toughness, he's a huge asset and perhaps even more valuable then the 60+ point guy Cody Hodgson will most likely turn into.
Why Potski it does my heart good to hear you talk that way! ;)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Lancer wrote:
Strangelove wrote:LOL @ Lancer's rant... ewww someone has a "lance" for Cody!
I don't so much love Hodgson so much as I hate Kassian. Gillis essentially used the 10th spot of the 2009 draft on a knuckle-dragging douche who will struggle to have a meaningful NHL career.

I would love for the Canucks to make something out of Kassian, after which I will be standing by the water fountain for them to turn it into a wine spigot.
Well time will tell one supposes.

I just finished reading miles of postings by hundreds of Sabre fans

... and I'd say 95% of em figure Kassian is a can't-miss NHL powerforward in the making.

But hey opinions are like *assholes*. ;)

Speaking of that: You ARE in love with Cody. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

The more I think about the move the more I like this for now and the future.

We were all pretty much in agreement that we needed to get tougher. So instead of trading for some veteran whose top end talent makes him a gritty bottom six forward Gillis trades his young emerging centre for a tough as nails kid that has a huge upside and at only 21 years old makes the forward group much tougher and bigger.

Is it risky, yes a bit. However we picked up a shutdown guy and still 5 centers in the lineup tomorrow night. Come playoff time I'm not confident Hodgson would have produced as he has thus far in the regular season, he would be an unknown and he doesn't add physicality when he isn't producing offensively.

Right now Kassian is a bottom six, tough, physical player. Just what we need for a playoff run this year.

In the future, if he develops as some anticipate, he'll be a potential top 6 power forward that every team in the league would kill for. The Marchand's of the world will not be punching the Sedin's or taking our players out at the knees with guys like Kassian in our lineup.

Pahlsson adds what we lose as far as a third line centre goes, and Lappy can potentially move up and help absorb what we lose in Cody.

It sucks losing a prospect like Hodgson but I'm optimistic about Kassian and really like what he can potentially bring to the team. I'll be excited to watch from now until the playoff to see what this new blood can do!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Wow, I went away for the afternoon and come back to this. Holly sh%t batman!!

So this is what I have been told. No. Cody did not ask for a trade. His discontent stems from last years playoffs when he was a healthy scratch for game 7 even though AV dressed several players who were nursing injuries. But that type of compete was to be expected and no one was really upset with him being upset as he kept it in the dressing room.

Fast forward, he is having good year but every mistake is magnified. His ice time gets reduced, he is asked to play wing and not too successfully. Every time he gets adjusted with line mates a change happens. The poor me syndrome gets a little louder. But still no real distraction just a few vets telling him he has to earn his stripes, Stamkos he ain't.

Fast forward, and the team is looking for balance in the lines. As a last resort they try Cody as the "second" line centre between Booth and Raymond. He doesn't produce to the point that the Canucks feel they need to allow them to drop Kesler to the third line role. Maholtra can no longer fill that role and they prefer Lappy on the 4th line. So a decision needs to be made. Are they comfortable in having Cody as their third line centre going into the playoffs and if not will they have sufficient secondary scoring from the second line to allow them to keep Kesler on the third line? AV is also not pleased with the development of his defensive game nor with his ability to keep up with his line mates.

Back up to some history. AV felt from the time he meet Cody that he was a prima donna and was not impressed with his foot speed. This we know. We also know his heart was questioned with the mis-diagnosis of his injury and the relationship has never seemed to heal. Fast forward again, Cody knows he isn't going to be top six and he knows he isn't bring to the bottom six what the Canucks want and need. He is now a little of an outsider and feeling under utilized. No angry words no demands to be traded but palatable unhappiness. MG likes Cody and supports him for as long as he can.

Fast forward to today. He can't get the deal done he wants and Cody is the one piece most teams ask for. The decision is made that it is in the best interests of both parties to move on. MG wants to allow Cody an opportunity to get top six minutes and realizes that if he is going to trade him he needs more than a player like Ott coming back.

The bottom line is that Cody was not happy with his role on the Canucks and the Canucks were not happy with his inability to be moved throughout the line up as need be. He is and always will be a potential 2nd line centre.

Canucks grab Palhsson and the writing is on the wall. It was one of the first things I thought about when that trade was announced. Where will Cody play? He hasn't been a good winger for us and he isn't 4th line material.

The combined trades today were made for winning now but with an eye to the future. Who has more versatility today and can be used in the bottom 9, at centre or on wing? And I think, just my take on some of the words I am hearing, is that the lack of versatility and speed was Cody's undoing on the Canucks in the end.

The trade caught a few people off guard but from what I hear mom and dad are thrilled he will be in Buffalo as it is the next best thing to being a Leaf. I think though that the writing has been on the wall since last season. It has been discussed on these message boards. Where does he fit?

I don't know too much about what we got in return and I wish Cody well.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Sad to see CoHo go but Zack Kassian is exactly what this team needs for it's identity. We were soarly lacking in that big, tough, can scrap and can play type of winger and to get those types of players you either have to draft them or pay a pretty high price for them in a trade. He's younger than CoHo and I think in the long run he will end up being more valuable to this team. We had depth at centre, Kesler and Hank ain't going anywhere soon, plus I honestly believe that CoHo wanted out but that we may never know.

Also, I honestly think that Gillis has a handshake deal with a team out there regarding Schneider but wants to keep him for the playoff run and won't officially do the deal until the draft. I've heard this from a few people and I believe that what we will be getting back for Schneider is a known top young centre. Would not be surprised to see a Brayden Schenn come this way for Schneider. The Flyers are done with Bryz, frustrated with their struggles with finding a good young goalie and have depth at centre. That being said, I think Ryan Johansen of the BJ's could be in the mix as well, or Connolly and extras from Tampa. Either way, the hole that the loss of Cody created down the middle in our youth department I think will be quickly corrected via trade with Schneider and I think the player will be better. I still question Hodgsons lack of leg strength.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau