Canucks get Zack Kassian

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks get Zack Kassian

Post by tantalum »

Good on the Sedins for taking the kid under their wing. What did they see? I can't help but wonder that what they saw was simply a desire to be a big part of a TEAM but some confusion on what it takes to become that guy...from fitness to when to control emotions and when to let go to how to use his skills most effectively etc. Looks like they helped get him fit and along the way probably taught him how to think the game a little like them. Nothing against Burrows, but something tells me they like Kassian on their line a bit more moving forward. Burrows tends to add fuel to the fire for the after whistle and on ice stuff but doesn't really take all the attention away from the twins. Kassian on the other hand seems to draw every guy towards him at the end of every play and while he only has a handful of fights under his belt in one of them he knocked a guy out of the lineup indefinitely.

And then there are those crazy eyes...Link Gaetz with top 6 skill.

edit: Nah Link was/is completely crazy. Perhaps he will be like a Chris Simon circa 99/00. Hopefully better on offense though.
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

As physical as he is and as game as he is, Kassian is still pretty raw. For example, his fight against Clowe - I love that he was game for it (but he looked more than a bit, I wouldn't quite say nervous but perhaps "concerned" after dropping the gloves, the little check sleeves/lid routine) but I really hope he learned something about the technical side of fighting on skates (Clowe ragdolling him at just the right times to ruin Kas' balance/timing) from a veteran.

Yeah, he was unfortunate to lose his lid early, but the "MMA training" Gillis got him to do over the summer might not translate as well as expected to an ice hockey fight in terms of balance and grappling and holds.

But yeah, the Sedins have shown themselves to be consummate professionals; Kassian is a totally lucky duck to have these two guys take him under their wing.

I wonder what it'd take to get Cloutier back into the Canuck's system as a "specialty" trainer or an assistant (non goalie) coach?
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

porp wrote: I wonder what it'd take to get Cloutier back into the Canuck's system as a "specialty" trainer or an assistant (non goalie) coach?
Well, ummm meet your most recently hired goalie consultant!
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I just noticed for Kassasian, how come he didn't have to pay for the rookie dinner (only shroeder and tanev) on the road trip and he gets no pie in the face @ the skills competition? Are the Canuck players scared he might go ape shit and beat the crap out of all of them? :lol:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I just noticed for Kassasian, how come he didn't have to pay for the rookie dinner (only shroeder and tanev) on the road trip and he gets no pie in the face @ the skills competition? Are the Canuck players scared he might go ape shit and beat the crap out of all of them? :lol:

He's not a rookie? But then Tanev isn't either is he. Hmmm, good question.
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I just noticed for Kassasian, how come he didn't have to pay for the rookie dinner (only shroeder and tanev) on the road trip and he gets no pie in the face @ the skills competition? Are the Canuck players scared he might go ape shit and beat the crap out of all of them? :lol:

He's not a rookie? But then Tanev isn't either is he. Hmmm, good question.
maybe he paid his dues in Buffalo?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

With Booth coming back, any money on Kassian getting sent down to Chicago for a conditioning stint if his minutes start dwindling do to lackluster play?

No way fellow 2009 draft pick Jordan Schroeder gets sent down. Not with the way he is playing and the lack of depth in natural center-men.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:With Booth coming back, any money on Kassian getting sent down to Chicago for a conditioning stint if his minutes start dwindling do to lackluster play?
Ridiculous notion.

Yes he has had a couple bad games. If you really think it's a good idea to bury him in Chicago for two bad games I'm not sure what to say here.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:With Booth coming back, any money on Kassian getting sent down to Chicago for a conditioning stint if his minutes start dwindling do to lackluster play?
Ridiculous notion.

Yes he has had a couple bad games. If you really think it's a good idea to bury him in Chicago for two bad games I'm not sure what to say here.
So replace skill with Don Cherry approved, lunch bucket, blue collar, stone hand Muckers? A team full of 3rd line talent to go along with the Sedins, Kesler and Burrows? Don't we have troubles scoring?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Kassian doesn't have stone hands. He has soft hands. He is still tied for the team lead in goals despite the fact the coach bounces him around the lineup like an Indian rubber ball.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Ridiculous notion.

So replace skill with Don Cherry approved, lunch bucket, blue collar, stone hand Muckers? A team full of 3rd line talent to go along with the Sedins, Kesler and Burrows? Don't we have troubles scoring?
Are you drunk?

Seriously Dude, what are you even saying??

Are you saying Kassian is a "stone hand Mucker"?

And if so, who are you suggesting we replace him with?

I know English is not your first language, but BUDDY you're digressing continuously....
____
Try to focus on someday.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Kassian doesn't have stone hands. He has soft hands. He is still tied for the team lead in goals despite the fact the coach bounces him around the lineup like an Indian rubber ball.
Which disturbs me and is a testament to how bad offensively this team is. It's no wonder we have trouble scoring in the playoffs, and will have trouble scoring in the playoffs again (of course, maybe we could always add another defensive 3C like Blob suggested in the other thread...more defensive centers will help us scoring).

Kassian in a bottom 6 role right now doesn't bother me at all. There's room for both Booth and Kassian on this team.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

you are preaching to the choir about how this team needs a goal scorer. I really hope Gillis does more than tweak this group up front at or before the deadline. As it is I don't see them beating the Hawks or Blues in the 2nd or third rounds. San Jose also has a shitload of weapons though they are a little weak on the ass end.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:you are preaching to the choir about how this team needs a goal scorer. I really hope Gillis does more than tweak this group up front at or before the deadline. As it is I don't see them beating the Hawks or Blues in the 2nd or third rounds. San Jose also has a shitload of weapons though they are a little weak on the ass end.
The Blues don't scare me, though the fact I'd be forced to watch at least 4 games against that team scares me - Hitch's teams are some of the least entertaining I've ever seen. I just don't see them as a big threat yet.

The Hawks rely so heavily on 5 guys (Kane, Toews, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook) that even one of them hobbled will really hurt them. All those Guys play huge minutes and thy really don't have the depth that some of the other contenders do, Van amongst them. Really good top end, middle isn't so great. They are actually the team I would live to play, hopefully in the conference finals, as they are great games to watch. Sharks need a leadership change, they don't scare me at all.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=656579

sounds like the guys all like each other....good stuff
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….