Canucks get Zack Kassian

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks get Zack Kassian

Post by 2Fingers »

My post is not CH against Kassian, they are 2 different players and both make the Nucks a better team. This is about the Nucks lack of scoring and that CH on a third line that seemed to be doing some scoring when it was needed.

Wait - did RD just agree with me??? :shock:
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Cody Hodgson was never going to fix whatever is ailing the Sedins.

The Sedins are two of the best players in the league, if they're slumping there's not much an 11-minute rookie can do about it.

Of course the Sedins aren't the only ones struggling, and unless Cody was setting up goals on all three top lines, making Kesler pass the puck, plus fixing Edler's current malaise, he wasn't going to fix the problems this team is facing right now.

This little stretch really just shows us that the Sedins are the straw that stirs the drink on the Canucks. If they dissappear for a game or two, the team is deep enough to win. If they disappear for 7-8 games, we're in trouble. Given that Vigneault hasn't changed their line, even though that worked with the brief Bitz experiment, I'm lead to believe that there is something physically wrong with them and hopefully the couple days off will help.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Who gives a crap about the stretch drive at this point. The boys have locked up first or 2nd in the conference and basically have admitted to not giving a flying fuck about the last 15 games. The only result that I care about from the next 15 games is any potential injuries that may come from them. Do you recall last season when they stunk out the joint in the last few games last season? It's going to be even worse than last season now that they've been to the finals. They WILL turn it on for game 1 of the playoffs I guarantee it, game 1 from the Chicago series was lights out for the boys, one of the best games I've seen them play.

I can't believe Dave Hodge on TSN today asking if they should let even more teams into the playoffs. If they do that they may as well flush the regular season down the toilet because it won't matter one bit.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Benjo wrote:...
I can't believe Dave Hodge on TSN today asking if they should let even more teams into the playoffs. If they do that they may as well flush the regular season down the toilet because it won't matter one bit.
The playoffs are already too long. They interfere with outdoor fun.

BBQ season started Mar 02/03 in the S. interior, the first boats are on the water, & there’s still a month of regular season hockey to go.

The longer the playoffs run, the more they look like a cynical money grab.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

clem wrote:
Benjo wrote:...
The playoffs are already too long. They interfere with outdoor fun.

BBQ season started Mar 02/03 in the S. interior, the first boats are on the water, & there’s still a month of regular season hockey to go.

The longer the playoffs run, the more they look like a cynical money grab.
Shorten the pre-season and regular season...buncha money grubbing capitalists! :evil:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Benjo wrote:Who gives a crap about the stretch drive at this point. The boys have locked up first or 2nd in the conference and basically have admitted to not giving a flying fuck about the last 15 games.
I am actually extremely concerned about seeding this year. Detroit and St. Louis are both very different teams on the road then at home. Also, the path to the Western Conference Final will likely be easier for the #1 seed - if #6 (Chicago) upsets #3 (crappy Pacific leader) and #5 upsets #4, you're facing the 8th seed then Chicago, as opposed to the 7th seed and either St. Louis, Detroit, or Nashville.

If there are no upsets, you'd be better off as 2nd seed (play 7th seed, then 3rd seed), but there's sure to be at least 1 upset.

That being said, this is the worst stretch of play for the Canucks, all teams go through them and they'll eventually come out of it. St. Louis is still on a hot streak and only a few points ahead of the Canucks, if the streaks reverse the Canucks could very well catch up.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Cody's team won and they are closer to the playoffs but he was -1 and no points...not that there's anything wrong with that... 8-)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Look, nobody should be surprised he's not producing. The kid has gone from a supporting and sheltered role on a contending team to being force-fed minutes on a team that's not nearly the same caliber. He's struggling, he's also still learning. He'll figure it out eventually, I just hope the Sabres don't push him too hard, too fast.

Frankly, I'm not wishing bad for the kid. We made a hockey trade and rather than wish poorly on Hodgson we should wish well on Kassian. No reason to get a hate on for the kid going the other way, he did play well and score some big goals for us.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Arachnid wrote:Cody's team won and they are closer to the playoffs but he was -1 and no points...not that there's anything wrong with that... 8-)
Also only Tropp had less icetime. Now it will be interesting to see how he'll respond.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Look, nobody should be surprised he's not producing. The kid has gone from a supporting and sheltered role on a contending team to being force-fed minutes on a team that's not nearly the same caliber. He's struggling, he's also still learning. He'll figure it out eventually, I just hope the Sabres don't push him too hard, too fast.

Frankly, I'm not wishing bad for the kid. We made a hockey trade and rather than wish poorly on Hodgson we should wish well on Kassian. No reason to get a hate on for the kid going the other way, he did play well and score some big goals for us.
I wished him well before Dude got in bed with his dad :evil:
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Look, nobody should be surprised he's not producing. The kid has gone from a supporting and sheltered role on a contending team to being force-fed minutes on a team that's not nearly the same caliber. He's struggling, he's also still learning. He'll figure it out eventually, I just hope the Sabres don't push him too hard, too fast.

The more simple minded fan base is surprised he's not producing.

I read Hodgson's score tied Fenwick rate since joining Buffalo is 33%. This is the advance stat that is touted as the most accurate measure of the effectiveness of a player. Fenwick is total shots directed at the opponents net (not including blocked shots) vs the same amount of shots at your own net. Scored tied is important as at that point, both teams are neither taking a more offensive or defensive posture due to someone having the lead.

That means, when Hodgson has been on the ice for Buffalo and the score is tied, there are twice as many shots going at his own net than towards the opponents net. It is a very small sample, but growing every game. 33% is brutal.

Kassian's has been 50%.

The 3rd line's (with Pahlsson) score tied fenwick has also improved since the trade.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Wow, just Wow!

GMMG had to move CoHo for reasons most of us still don’t know. Because Gillis felt he had to move CoHo he targeted the type of player he wanted and he felt the team needed both for this playoff run and the future. Rumor has it Burke offered Schenn for CoHo but was turned down.

Gillis wanted a young Kassian type of player. He felt we needed the extra size. He wanted it now, for this year’s post season run. Our future is now, remember? Kassian has the proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence.

So jump ahead to R1 G3!

Kassian plays 3:55! Are you shitting me? Three minutes and fifty-five seconds!!!

I hate the way AV manages his young player’s ice time. I think the only reason Gillis had to move CoHo was because of AV's horrible management of the asset. We get Kassian and, the beat rolls on. Same old same old from AV. Less than four minutes for a player that was brought in to play a physical roll is a joke. Fuckin PP is 0 for 13… put Kassian in front of the net and fire away. Do you expect Kassian to do anything with 4 mins a game? Of course he's squeezing the stick. One mistake and he's riding the pine!

Fuckin trade CoHo for a D that doesn’t dress and a young forward that plays less than four minutes a game! Get the kid some fucking experience you dolt!

Fire AV Now!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

ODB wrote:Wow, just Wow!
Fire AV Now!
I completely agree with your frustration of AV's use of his younger players. That is one area I thing GMMG and AV aren't on the same page. We hear all kinds of stuff from management about "developing from within" and "building from the draft" but with a veteran-laden team I'm just not seeing any results. I am a firm believer that the coach should dress the best players available whenever possible but I also believe in giving young players a shot.

I would LOVE to throw Kassian in front of the net on the PP and let Kesler and Hank try to set up some plays. The PP is failing right now and at 4 minutes a game Kassian would be fresh for the PP every time. Quick needs some traffic and Kassian should be hard to move. I would love to see him battle with Scuderi, Green, or Mitchell.

Long term ... Kassian needs to , and will come back in better shape next year. He is too slow right now and if he can get his fitness level up he should hopefully have a much larger role next year. Im sure Gillis has a plan for him in the offseason.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

ODB wrote:Wow, just Wow!

GMMG had to move CoHo for reasons most of us still don’t know. Because Gillis felt he had to move CoHo he targeted the type of player he wanted and he felt the team needed both for this playoff run and the future. Rumor has it Burke offered Schenn for CoHo but was turned down.

Gillis wanted a young Kassian type of player. He felt we needed the extra size. He wanted it now, for this year’s post season run. Our future is now, remember? Kassian has the proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence.

So jump ahead to R1 G3!

Kassian plays 3:55! Are you shitting me? Three minutes and fifty-five seconds!!!

I hate the way AV manages his young player’s ice time. I think the only reason Gillis had to move CoHo was because of AV's horrible management of the asset. We get Kassian and, the beat rolls on. Same old same old from AV. Less than four minutes for a player that was brought in to play a physical roll is a joke. Fuckin PP is 0 for 13… put Kassian in front of the net and fire away. Do you expect Kassian to do anything with 4 mins a game? Of course he's squeezing the stick. One mistake and he's riding the pine!

Fuckin trade CoHo for a D that doesn’t dress and a young forward that plays less than four minutes a game! Get the kid some fucking experience you dolt!

Fire AV Now!
OD did you miss that huge give away Kassian coughed up in his own end early in the third? There is no way Kassian gets another shift from any coach. While I didnt like the way AV handled Ballard last year (or this year,) I have to agree with him in his use of both Kassian and Co Ho. They are rookies and will cost you in tight games
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ukcanuck wrote: They are rookies and will cost you in tight games
Tell that to the Philadelphia Flyers.

I look forward to a new approach from behind the bench next season. Obviously the old one has worn off. The team has regressed, and it's time to change it up. We're full of talent, and should have even more next season when the goaltending situation is sorted out.