Canucks get Zack Kassian

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks get Zack Kassian

Post by ESQ »

Larry Goodenough wrote: 3. What's up with the "no comment" when Gillis was asked if Hodgson asked for trade. Hodgson did sound very surprised. By why no just say 'No' when asked? There seems to be something there.
I heard something interesting from a caller today on the radio, apparently Hodgson was asked about the deadline on some Ontario radio station, and after saying all the right things he finished with "I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens." Had he not asked for a trade, he probably would have considered himself untouchable, as most of us probably did. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but combined with Gillis' no comment I'm thinking where there's smoke there's fire.
Larry Goodenough wrote:The difference is instead of playing behind top six forwards here, he could be playing with top six forwards there (no offense to Hansen and Higgins). Some skilled linemates plus increased responsibility and icetime can't hurt at all.
This is true, but if Hodgson does step into the top 6, all of a sudden he's facing top lines and defensive pairs, not 3rd lines and 3rd pairs. As Larry pointed out, in games this season where he was in a more demanding role he didn't look as good.
Southern_Canuck wrote:So, does anyone think that Gillis would have drafted Kyle Beach instead of Hodgson in a 2008 redraft?

Considering Beach's serious shoulder injury this season, and that Kassian is a year younger, clearly Kassian >> Beach at this point, anyway
All day I had it in my head that Hodgson and Kassian were the same age but I'm mistaken. Comparing their first pro years, Kassian had almost as many points as Hodgson in 22 fewer games playing in the AHL.

I still doubt he drafts Beach though, Beach always had health issues and I kind of thought his interest was a red herring to try to get someone above him to go after him.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

So HW the world wants to know...did the Hodgson camp ask for a trade? The Gillis comment was somewhat cryptic but leads one to believe there was a trade request. ON the other hand Hodgson seemed somewhat shocked that I wonder that if a request was made it was made with an eye towards being moved in the summer. Or Gillis is a crafty MFer that said that to give him an out from potential criticism.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Larry Goodenough wrote: 3. What's up with the "no comment" when Gillis was asked if Hodgson asked for trade. Hodgson did sound very surprised. By why no just say 'No' when asked? There seems to be something there.
Hmmmm. Makes me wonder if it's more something between MG and Rich Winter, perhaps?
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

I was talking to a guy here in Kelowna and he said Coho had words with Canucks coaching staff. He said he has a inside connecction but didn't want to say anymore?
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Nuckertuzzi wrote: The difference is instead of playing behind top six forwards here, he could be playing with top six forwards there (no offense to Hansen and Higgins). Some skilled linemates plus increased responsibility and icetime can't hurt at all.
He can say hello to better defencemen and checking lines, too.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

UWSaint wrote:
tantalum wrote: People shouldn't sell Kassian short....
Agreed -- Kassian has great upside, but I think there is more volatility in Kassian.

Basically how I feel about the deal.

If Kassian can become a top6 caliber forward with size and toughness then this is a big win for Gillis as that is a rare commodity in today's game.

His ability to produce the offence to play in that role however is very much up in the air.

Hodgson on the other hand looks like a lock to play in someones top6 and a probably top3. I don't think he is going to be any type of elite player but I think he will most likely fall in the marginal first liner of good second liner range.

The other part of this is that the Canucks want to win the dam cup pretty much this year.

Is the bottom6 better with Kassian and Phalsson in for Hodgson and Weise? In a playoff series I would have to think it is.

Tough move by Gillis, I guess we'll see.
nyintensity
CC Veteran

Post by nyintensity »

Hey guys, long time Sabres fan here...I'm curious as to what we're getting with Hodgson...I'm pretty sure we're going to stash Sulzer in the minors. Here's my opinion of Kassian:

He's a strong power forward (still young) that can do well along the boards and maintain possession of the puck. He is NOT an elite talent, and I don't think he's got the skill to ever become one. I don't think he's playoff ready, as I think he still gets gassed fairly easily and will definitely look like a rookie at times. He does give it his all, and if you guys needed someone with size, you got it.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

nyintensity wrote:
He's a strong power forward (still young) that can do well along the boards and maintain possession of the puck. He is NOT an elite talent, and I don't think he's got the skill to ever become one. .
I think most Saber fans are throwing Kassian under the bus, guys like Pierre McvGuirre are saying a different opinion. Coho has one more year of pro hockey, so he is more advanced at this time. Coho spend a full year in the AHL, he should be more advanced!
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
nyintensity
CC Veteran

Post by nyintensity »

Jovorock wrote:
nyintensity wrote:
He's a strong power forward (still young) that can do well along the boards and maintain possession of the puck. He is NOT an elite talent, and I don't think he's got the skill to ever become one. .
I think most Saber fans are throwing Kassian under the bus, guys like Pierre McvGuirre are saying a different opinion. Coho has one more year of pro hockey, so he is more advanced at this time. Coho spend a full year in the AHL, he should be more advanced!
You can't trust Pierre McGuire...he'd rather spend time staring at jock straps than talking hockey. :P

I don't want or mean to throw Kassian under the bus -I was very proud to have him. I actually own this shirt:
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

nyintensity wrote:Hey guys, long time Sabres fan here...I'm curious as to what we're getting with Hodgson...I'm pretty sure we're going to stash Sulzer in the minors. Here's my opinion of Kassian:
You are getting a kid with high end puck skills, visions, and intelligence, who is fantastic on the power play.

His defensive game isn't great at the moment and he isn't physical at all, but those things should improve over time. Most fans here would be shocked if he didn't develop into a very good second line center, but given his off ice dedication he could actually be better then that.
nyintensity
CC Veteran

Post by nyintensity »

Potatoe1 wrote:His defensive game isn't great at the moment and he isn't physical at all.
So he'll fit in here in Buffalo with the rest of the forwards perfectly :(

lol, I can always hold on hope. Hope that Tyler Myers continues to grow into a better shutdown defensive player, that Robyn Regehr can rub off on him a little, and maybe our forwards won't need to come back so much.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I think you have to give Gillis and team kudos for making an honest assessment of things. I think they decided they were going to have to protect Hodgson in the playoffs to a point that it would have been detrimental to the team. I think they saw him becoming a 5 minute with second unit time type of guy. A guy that could be exploited when line matching and intensity gets ramped up. They made the decision that if that was the case then Hodgson was not going to help the team as much as we may want to believe he would (and honestly he was starting to get eaten up a bit the last few weeks). Going forward we all know that he wasn't going to displace Kesler or Henrik from the top 6 and it is apparent that AV is not going to move Kesler to the wing (he's the only guy that hasn't played the wing this year among the bottom 9).

So they tried to balance the team and find other assets that can contribute now and in the future. We of course can argue about whether the right players were found but I do think it's hard to argue about the value. The value is pretty much bang on.

Make no mistake this move took balls and we all wanted a GM with balls if I recall. There is no standing pat with Gillis it seems.

I also think people have to look at what the team looks like compared to last year. Up front this team is better IMO. Blueline remains to be seen. I think it can be if Edler takes a step forward.
jkibler
AHL Prospect

Post by jkibler »

As a lifelong sabre fan here in wextern NY, i was shocked to see Kassian go.
I felt that we had 3 "untouchables" and that he was 1 of them. Give him time to develope and you will have a helluva player. The sabres just got a lot smaller and much more cowardly. I know nothing of Cody, but i am sure once he hits Buffalo he will turn into an average at best player as everyone does when they join the sabres. I am convinced tehy wont win a cup in my lifetime, but you just added a piece to your team that should help you win one at your end of the continent. Give him some time and you will see you won this trade. good luck, i just became a Canucks fan for the playoffs!
nyintensity
CC Veteran

Post by nyintensity »

jkibler wrote:As a lifelong sabre fan here in wextern NY, i was shocked to see Kassian go.
I felt that we had 3 "untouchables" and that he was 1 of them. Give him time to develope and you will have a helluva player. The sabres just got a lot smaller and much more cowardly. I know nothing of Cody, but i am sure once he hits Buffalo he will turn into an average at best player as everyone does when they join the sabres. I am convinced tehy wont win a cup in my lifetime, but you just added a piece to your team that should help you win one at your end of the continent. Give him some time and you will see you won this trade. good luck, i just became a Canucks fan for the playoffs!
jkibler, I'll agree with you - Lindy Ruff sure does find a way to turn a diamond into a turd.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Jovorock wrote:
nyintensity wrote:
I dont think saying "he doesn't have elite talent" is throwing him under the buss at all.

I'm, not sure people get how tough, physical, and down right mean Kassian is. This is not Steve Bernier, or Taylor Payatt, this is a kid who could probably carve himself a niche as an NHL heavyweight.

Guys like that who have "good" not "elite" skill are great assets to NHL teams. Does Milan Lucic have elite skill?

Not saying Kassian is as good as Lucic but that is in my mind the player he would be most similar too should he reach the upper end of his potential.

If he can be a 20 goal 40 point guy with his size and toughness, he's a huge asset and perhaps even more valuable then the 60+ point guy Cody Hodgson will most likely turn into.