The Official CC What / Who we need - 11/12

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

The Official CC What / Who we need - 11/12

Post by Cornuck »

Ok, there's a lot - a LOT - of threads that are turning into who we need, who we should trade for, what kind of player we need, what can we get for Ballard type threads.

I figure that we can continue on in one thread, and the others that are specifically started for trades, etc. It might clear up the board a little... worth a shot. :?

I've always felt that even if everyone agreed on what we needed and who fit that spot, Gillis would still come out of left field and surprise us all. But with HW's latest comments about Ballard, it seems that he'll be gone by the deadline and some new blood moved in for the playoffs.
2021 - Playoff Bound
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: The Official CC What / Who we need - 11/12

Post by rats19 »

Like ballard -mtrl
Gill - van
Getting old is not for the young...
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

But with HW's latest comments about Ballard, it seems that he'll be gone by the deadline and some new blood moved in for the playoffs.
I guess I missed that post ??
cheers
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I'm not so sure Ballard will go... if Gillis is trying to move him, it will be in a trade or series of trades to make the team better. He won't do it for a lesser return.

Word on the street is that Ballard has been sent back to Vancouver for injury evaluation. That might be a cover for "get away from the team while we trade you", but I doubt it. If he actually is injured, his value descends into potentially "untradable" territory. On the other hand, if the injury is serious, it could be the "break" (sorry) the Canucks need to bring in an impact player on LTI relief.

AS for what the Canucks need. They need size and grit. That's pretty much known league-wide. I'm sure Gillis will seek a guy that can play. There's no way we go for a thug to replace Weise, just for the sake of his fighting ability.

Moen fits my demand perfectly. But I could also see Gillis going after a guy like Chad LaRose. Not a big player, but a fairly tenacious forechecker that can play more meaningful minutes.

A guy like Pavol Kubina could also ease the threat (certainty) of injuries on the back end. Right hander, UFA at the seasons end. He's definitely lost a step or six, but I think he could be an asset for the squad. He's a 3.85M cap hit, so the Ballard thing would have to go down before this guy comes on board.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake here but I honestly dont think we need to do anything.

We're near first place in the entire league despite playing probably the most road games .Our PP and Pk is near or at the top. We have arguably the best goaltending tandem in the league and lately we've added some toughness to look after our elite players.

I say we keep guys like Ballard for defensive depth and go for the cup. Believe me this is the year its going to happen.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

okcanuck wrote:Maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake here but I honestly dont think we need to do anything.

We're near first place in the entire league despite playing probably the most road games .Our PP and Pk is near or at the top. We have arguably the best goaltending tandem in the league and lately we've added some toughness to look after our elite players.

I say we keep guys like Ballard for defensive depth and go for the cup. Believe me this is the year its going to happen.
I might be more inclined to believe you had I not watched most of the last dozen games or so. The Canucks may be winning, but they aren't exactly tearing up the league.

They might be coming out of their slumber, hopefully in time for the playoff drive. But I think Gillis needs to be on the look out for players that can help this team on the run. IMO you can't have enough fourth line or defensive grit (no waivers or cap in the playoffs).

The other thing to consider is that Detroit, Chicago, San Jose etc. will all be looking to add players. I'm not advocating making moves just for the sake of keeping up with the Jones', but we have to remember we're not the only team looking to get better.
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

rats19 wrote:Like ballard -mtrl
Gill - van
+1
Unfortunately he's worth a hell of alot more than KB4.
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

I dont see us adding much.

Our two best targets for other teams dont make sense to move right now (Cody and Cory) and they could be a huge part of this teams depth going forward. We all know Gillis holds close to his chest but if there is any more than a depth fourth liner/third pair d-man I'll be shocked.

If Bitz can continue to open space for the Twins, not finish - but open up space it creates a player Steve Bernier was supposed to be. Which also forces Burr down with Kes and one of Booth/Raymond/Higgins. And trickle down affect having basically four scoring lines with a "fourth liner" with the twins.

So much for Cody on the 1st!

With Reinprecht waiting in the wings, and Tanev ready to give us depth after the deadline; I dont think there is a doubt both of these guys are up with us unless Chicago is going to go deep in the playoffs.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I don't think we need to do much either. The one caveat to that is if Nashville offers us one of Suter or Weber. And that is not going to happen. But if they were letting it be known that one or both of them could be had at the deadline then I'd like to see MG all over it, within reason that is. No rentals.

Suter has said he will not negotiate any contracts until July 1. So Nashville stands to lose him for nothing or for a low end pick if they trade his rights after the season. With Weber they will qualify him for a measly 7.5 million and I think he accepts. He will be pred next year. But if they lose Suter for next to nothing after having lost Hamhuis for next to nothing and if Weber says he wants to go to his July 1 to be an UFA next year then Nashville will have to make some serious consideration to trading Weber sooner rather than later.So if one of them became available this trade deadline I'd hope MG was in the mix somehow.

Other than that happening I don't think we need any major changes. You keep Cory and try to re-sign him for 1-2 years. I would like some more grit for the 4th line and I like the Moen idea. I would like an Aucoin or Allen to be brought in, or Hal Gil, or all three and get rid of Sulzer, Rome and Alberts. :D
The only HW the Canucks need
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

I wad reading a thread on HF regarding a rumor involving Moen going back to the SJS as a rental again. The SJ posters were not impressed at the notion of Moen returning. Anyone know why? Is he just being over hyped as trade bait or did SJ miscast him in a role beyond his ability?
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I like Moen....but the one that played for the Ducks. You'd never know he actually plays for the Mtl Canadiens. The question is can he be inspired again
cheers
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

I have watched the last dozen games and I thought Ballard was stepping it up. If he is healthy and continues to improve or play like he has lately and we bring up Tanev then I think D is settled. Sure I want Weber but I also want a younger Lidstrom, which we may have in Edler if he continues to improve. He is coming into that age range for D. Does anyone know how much the roster expands come playoff. I think it is three but am basically guessing. Cannouton is starting to play well and so is Schroeder.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

damonberryman wrote:I have watched the last dozen games and I thought Ballard was stepping it up. If he is healthy and continues to improve or play like he has lately and we bring up Tanev then I think D is settled. Sure I want Weber but I also want a younger Lidstrom, which we may have in Edler if he continues to improve. He is coming into that age range for D. Does anyone know how much the roster expands come playoff. I think it is three but am basically guessing. Cannouton is starting to play well and so is Schroeder.

Yeah and once the roster expands which i thought was the start of the play-offs Reinprecht is here. As MG stated he's the sort of guy that every teams is looking for at the start of the play-offs. They can't bring him in now for fear of loosing him on waivers. He's starting to put up points in Chicago. I'm wondering if he'll play alongside Hodgson. It's a while since I watched him but I recall him as a high energy good speed type of player
cheers
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Fred wrote:They can't bring him in now for fear of loosing him on waivers.
As well as majorly handcuffing the cap for any possible additions come deadline, if he were to be claimed @ 1/2 his salary.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

CFP! wrote:
Fred wrote:They can't bring him in now for fear of loosing him on waivers.
As well as majorly handcuffing the cap for any possible additions come deadline, if he were to be claimed @ 1/2 his salary.
can you remember his style of play, I know he's not big but he's hard nosed and a player looking for a team next season
cheers