Farhan's $0.02: Dustin Byfuglien and the Vancouver Canucks

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Hey guys,

I was wondering what you thought about the idea of Dustin Byfuglien playing for the Vancouver Canucks?

-Unlike Nashville, the Jets will probably not make the playoffs and would be more open to the idea of trading star players for promising prospects/youth (for those of us dreaming about the idea of landing Shea Weber).

The Canucks 2 biggest needs at current are arguably:

1) Quality depth on defense (i.e. another top 4 calibre guy)
2) Toughness

Byfuglien brings both of those qualities. Hell - if the Canucks needed more muscle up front against a given team, you could always throw Byfuglien up front.

The reason why I thought of Byfuglien today was because I thought it would be pretty hilarious if the once hated big Buff came to Vancouver, helped us beat Boston in a Stanley Cup rematch, and became a hero in this city, lol. Imagine what a guy like Byfuglien would do to a guy like Thomas if Thomas played a foot outside the crease? :-). Hell - WE would have a guy that would legitmately be tougher and meaner than Chara, Lucic, Thornton, and any other goon from the big bad B's. :-)

With an aging and mediocre Chris Mason in net, the Jets could use a young and promising goalie like Schneider. Obviously - the Canucks would have to sweeten the pot a bit more if they wanted to land Byfuglien, but they have the capability of doing so.....and again.....unlike Weber, I don't think the Canucks would have to sell the entire farm.

Byfuglien has a 5.2 million cap hit......which I don't think is too bad.

Farhan's conclusion: If the Canucks get Byfuglien and Parros at the deadline, I think this team will be ok moving forward. Byfuglien helping the Canucks win the cup might be the most ridiculous storyline of all-time given the history between the two parties, but hey.....I'd be down.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Farhan's $0.02: Dustin Byfuglien and the Vancouver Canu

Post by CFP! »

Well, Gillis should have a first crack at anyone on that roster due to the ties.

That said, no trade gets made nowadays w/o considering the cap unless your able to add at the deadline like the Wings and Hawks. Fucking douches.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Farhan Lalji wrote:Farhan's $0.02: Dustin Byfuglien and the Vancouver Canucks
With an aging and mediocre Chris Mason in net, the Jets could use a young and promising goalie
A young and promising goalie like Ondrej Pavelec?

Yes, Big Buf would be a nice addition, but I don't see how he fits under the current cap.
Blaster86
CC Veteran

Post by Blaster86 »

BladesofSteel wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:Farhan's $0.02:

Yes, Big Buf would be a nice addition, but I don't see how he fits under the current cap.

I don't see how that fat fuck fits anything.
ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck »

BladesofSteel wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:Farhan's $0.02: Dustin Byfuglien and the Vancouver Canucks
With an aging and mediocre Chris Mason in net, the Jets could use a young and promising goalie
A young and promising goalie like Ondrej Pavelec?

Schneider + Ballard for Byfuglien and a 2 round draft pick ?? not sure i would do it though, Buf was great a couple of seasons ago but ....
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

As a player Byfuglien would tear it up on the canucks with protected third pairing minutes and ample PP time. But, $5.2 mil playing protected minutes is likely not a luxury the canucks can afford.

As a top 4 guy I'm not sure how he does. He's hit and miss when it comes to the defensive part of the game. THe rest of his game, however, likely translates very well to the canucks.
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Hes the face of the franchise in Winnipeg. Hes going nowhere
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Hes the face of the franchise in Winnipeg. Hes going nowhere
like Gretz was in Edmonton?
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

tantalum wrote:As a player Byfuglien would tear it up on the canucks with protected third pairing minutes and ample PP time. But, $5.2 mil playing protected minutes is likely not a luxury the canucks can afford.

As a top 4 guy I'm not sure how he does. He's hit and miss when it comes to the defensive part of the game. THe rest of his game, however, likely translates very well to the canucks.
I wonder what kind of attitude and work ethic he brings. I know he's had some weight issues in the past, but if he's a strong team player, than in theory, at the age of 26 his best years are ahead of him. Another comparison of a large d-man who only seems to get better with age is Chara. If Buf is a coach-able player willing to improve his game than really the sky is the limit for the big man.

Its an interesting discussion, yet I don't know if I'd be willing to move the teams best young asset for him. And I hardly think the Jets are too keen on moving their top scoring d-man.

Bogosian is a smarter 'Moneypuck' target IMO.
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

If the Canucks get Byfuglien and Parros at the deadline...
That would instantly solve any toughness issues wouldn't it?

Imagine if we played Chicago again? :) :) :)
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

griz wrote:
If the Canucks get Byfuglien and Parros at the deadline...
That would instantly solve any toughness issues wouldn't it?

Imagine if we played Chicago again? :) :) :)
No doubt, Buttugly can supersize the Canucks. Unfortunately, he can't play defense. He is physical in a way but would never protect his teammates. The most important thing is that, if Buttugly plays defense for the Canucks, he will once again put his ugly butt right in front of Luongo's face. I am not sure that is a good idea...
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Jovocop wrote: No doubt, Buttugly can supersize the Canucks. Unfortunately, he can't play defense. He is physical in a way but would never protect his teammates. The most important thing is that, if Buttugly plays defense for the Canucks, he will once again put his ugly butt right in front of Luongo's face. I am not sure that is a good idea...
True story.

I think Fugly is a great depth player. He was great for the Hawks when they won it all, but it says a lot about him (imo) that they dealt him away so soon after winning.

He's not worth $5.2. If the Canucks thought such a one-dimensional player was worth so much money they would have kept Ehrhoff (who is better than Fugly in every way save for size)...
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

If Fugly came to Vancouver I don't think he'd be playing defense.

At least I hope he wouldn't be a part of our defense corp.

Then he's a $5.2M winger.

Would he fit with Kesler on the second line? Might be a better option on the first PP than having Kesler stand in front of the net?

But still at his salary, he'd be the third highest paid player on the team. And he's not a good enough two-way player for the team.

I say no!

Edit: If we're looking a adding a $5.2M winger I sure as hell like what Perry can bring far more than fatty.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Blaster86 wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:Farhan's $0.02:

I don't see how that fat fuck fits anything.

My goodness Blaster. You sound just like a drunken buffoon I used to know before he passed, God bless him. What ever happened to manners?
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso »

If he became a Canuck, we'd be trading Ballard (cap room) and likely Schneids or Coho, and Buffy would be moved back to forward. His D skills just are not where they need to be for the Canucks. If I am the Jets, regardless of Buff's hockey ability, he fills the stands, so they would need a name guy in return. Ballard woudn't be it. Schneids and Coho are probably more valueable in the long run too/
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!