Tanev recalled

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Tanev recalled

Post by ESQ » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:25 pm

Mondi wrote:Boy oh', boy a 2-2-1 stretch and we've got fans looking to trade Kesler, media claiming the team is tuning out Vigneault and other media practically putting Salo up for the Norris. A five game "slump" is no cause for concern. These are the ebbs and flows of an 82 game season. .
When you have a team whose slump consists of a stretch of .500 hockey, you're doing alright.

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:43 pm

When you have a team whose slump consists of a stretch of .500 hockey, you're doing alright.
but that would mean that fans and media would have to manage expectations... do you really think that will happen??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:10 pm

Tanev has been brought up for two reasons. One, to assess their strengths moving forward, or more so their weaknesses. Second to show case him. I'm not saying he is on the trading block but I am saying his name comes up in trade talk and I think the Canucks want to see what the team plays like with him in the line up and at the same time show case him a little more before any deals are done.
The only HW the Canucks need

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Tanev has been brought up for two reasons. One, to assess their strengths moving forward, or more so their weaknesses. Second to show case him. I'm not saying he is on the trading block but I am saying his name comes up in trade talk and I think the Canucks want to see what the team plays like with him in the line up and at the same time show case him a little more before any deals are done.
That's very interesting HW. I can't say I'd be shocked to see Tanev dealt, he's exactly the kind of young, upcoming and cheap player that teams covet.

I would assume it would be a part of a bigger deal, as the Canucks are right up against the cap (according to capgeek), I'm not sure how much we could take back. Like any trade involving Schneider, any roster player coming back for Tanev (plus a first, draft pick, unicorn etc) would have to match his salary. Tanev at 900K isn't going to get us an impact player.

I'd think Ballard or Raymond would be heading out also. In Ballard's case the salary would enable us to afford a mid-level guy, but do you really want to move those two D-men with Salo hurt? Seems like one step forward, two or even three back.

Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:22 pm

I could see how bringing up Tanev now would serve multiple purposes. This is also the time of the year when the team needs to look at their depth on D, including any potential call-ups they may be forced to make later in the season. If they can manage to have Tanev up for a while (2-3 weeks?), and, perhaps, bring up Sauve at some point, they would certainly see how these young guys are progressing, in case they may be needed later. At the same time, it's always good to show-case your assets when trade season is around the corner! :)

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:10 pm

We all know that Ballard and Tanev made a very strong paring last year. This move allows AV to play to Ballard's strengths and have him play his strong side. If that improves the D and their ability in moving the puck it is a good thing for the roster. Listening to AV tonight he sounded resigned to the fact that the D chemistry is missing something and bringing in Tanev, because he plays the right side, gives the team more options. So perhaps it is as simple as that. Of course if he has him playing with Edler that blows my theory.
The only HW the Canucks need

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:23 am

I don't think it's to showcase Tanev unless Gillis thinks he has a deal in place for Weber or similar calibre D-man and the other team wants to get a good look at Tanev. Gillis likes the kid way too much to move him for anything less than a franchise type guy right now. And I still don't think Weber will be moved at all before the draft. Suter also won't be moved if Poile can get a top 6 forward and convince Suter they are going to be serious about making a run. Suter wants to stay if there is that guarantee. And if there is that guarantee the western conference should look out. The Preds with another $15 mil to spend with a smart GM behind them will make them extremely good. For Weber and even Suter I move Tanev. I'm not sure given the 3 or 4 young D-men playing well for the Preds right now if getting a D-man in return is a huge priority in any deal.

I think this call up is the call up we knew was going to happen at some point. They've tried giving Rome and Sulzer, and to a lesser degree Ballard and Alberts, a larger role with the Salo injury and no one has stepped up. They are bringing in Tanev to see if he can step into the top 6 and provide a steady game on the right side. If he performs well alongside Edler I think he'll be with the canucks for good. They will get him a regular third pairing shift and likely some PP and PK time going forward when Salo is back. If they are doing that he is better off than in Chicago. To me it also means that they will likely move Ballard though Ballard will first be asked if he desires such a move (Gillis promised not to move him this year so I think he'll get Ballard's blessing before doing so). With Tanev on the right side they will look for a physical D-man to play on the third pairing and for PK purposes...preferably someone they have more confidence in playing both sides. I think alberts and Sulzer remain the 7/8 guys though I don't think Gillis would be adverse to adding another similar 7/8 guy so he has good 7/8/9 depth, and a 5/6 that they are comfortable giving more icetime to when injuries hit.

No matter which way you look at things, having 9 D-men on the roster is not going to last long.

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:10 am

Hockey Widow wrote:We all know that Ballard and Tanev made a very strong paring last year. This move allows AV to play to Ballard's strengths and have him play his strong side. If that improves the D and their ability in moving the puck it is a good thing for the roster.
Sounds like Tanev will play with Edler while Ballard will continue to be used on the right with Rome getting the more favorable left side spot.

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:25 am

Orcasfan wrote:I could see how bringing up Tanev now would serve multiple purposes. This is also the time of the year when the team needs to look at their depth on D, including any potential call-ups they may be forced to make later in the season. If they can manage to have Tanev up for a while (2-3 weeks?), and, perhaps, bring up Sauve at some point, they would certainly see how these young guys are progressing, in case they may be needed later. At the same time, it's always good to show-case your assets when trade season is around the corner! :)

I'm not getting any positive vibes about Sauve. The times I've seen him playing here he's the very opposite to Tanev, no structure, chicken with his head cut of. But he has put up I believe 60PIM's half way through the season so maybe he can play a different role. I have to think Polasak will make it before Sauve and hopefully Connauton before him.

Yet to arrive in minors is McNally, Harvard. Price, Colgate and Corrado all seem to have a better upside.
cheers

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:46 am

Potatoe1 wrote: Sounds like Tanev will play with Edler while Ballard will continue to be used on the right with Rome getting the more favorable left side spot.
Yep pretty clear at this point that unless he's playing the right side AV just doesn't want Ballard. We can debate the merits of the decision all we want but the fact is AV has made his decision.

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:02 pm

Among the most talented players I have ever seen are some Russians who seem to not quite reach their percieved potential after alarming the NHL with a great season. I do not have enough toes and fingers to count them all. They can all skate like the wind and seem to score at will when the mood strikes them. Bearing this in mind I remember something else my old Daddy told me (or would have if he talked to me or was not in prison) and that is 'son, you get what you pay for'. Reading some of these posts it seems clear we have many fans who are caught up in potential and not what is being shown on the ice. IF we want a menacing stud with a cannon on the blue line we are going to have to give something up that has value.

I do not know if we would have won if we were not injured so badly last year. Maybe. Probably, maybe. Who gives a fuck? IT was last year. So was Kesler's last good shift with one or two small exceptions. He has tremendous value percieved AT THIS POINT IN TIME. As near as I can tell it is going down like an Italian cruise ship. Weber will take us over the hump. If Kes comes back to his potential it might take us over the hump. If I am honest with myself I saw my team beat the Bruins this year in Boston but I am glad the game did not have another period or two. After the game our players looked stunned, and why not? They have no answer for that kind of bullshit the Bruins bring. BTW. Check out Marchand/Stewart on the daily show. I am tired of waiting and I think we need someone like Weber to win. We will not get that person without giving up a lot. This has nothing to do with win or loss streaks and eveerything to do with winning. I would prefer to be proved wrong.

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:40 pm

What do people think about Hal Gill? He's in the last year of his deal, $2.25 million, and an absolute giant.

Now, I acknowledge he was surprised by Rypien and may have got the worst of that one, but he seems to be the crease-clearing defenseman we haven't had. True, he is slow, but I think one slow, plodding dman on a team isn't that bad, and he balances the defensive corps a little better with his physical attributes. Oh, and he has a ton of playoff experience including a Cup.

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:19 pm

damonberryman wrote: So was Kesler's last good shift with one or two small exceptions. He has tremendous value percieved AT THIS POINT IN TIME. As near as I can tell it is going down like an Italian cruise ship. Weber will take us over the hump. If Kes comes back to his potential it might take us over the hump.

Are you saying that Kesler may not get back to his form from last year?

I find that notion to be ridiculous.

Every single NHL player goes through slumps, Keslers poor start was predictable given his injury and his recent slide is also fairly normal.

As for Weber, love to have him, but if we can get to game 7 of a cup final with out him we can also win the dam cup with out him.

I would "not" trade Ryan Keslers and his long term 5 mill contract for Weber and his soon to expire contract.

Personally I though Ryan Suter was the better defenseman in the Preds Series last year.

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:24 pm

Potatoe1 wrote: As for Weber, love to have him, but if we can get to game 7 of a cup final with out him we can also win the dam cup with out him.
Yeah, I think I agree. I'm having a tough time figuring out when his price will be lowest. This deadline will be damn high if he's available, which I doubt. Then he's an RFA that can't be protected from offer sheets. I'd love to take a run at him either before the FA period starts, but the price will be high for the negotiating rights. If he does get an offer sheet, you can bet it will be multi-year, huge money, and if he signs an offer sheet then he's either long-term with the Preds or long-term with his new team, and probably the highest paid Dman in the league.

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:29 pm

ESQ wrote:What do people think about Hal Gill? He's in the last year of his deal, $2.25 million, and an absolute giant.

Now, I acknowledge he was surprised by Rypien and may have got the worst of that one, but he seems to be the crease-clearing defenseman we haven't had. True, he is slow, but I think one slow, plodding dman on a team isn't that bad, and he balances the defensive corps a little better with his physical attributes. Oh, and he has a ton of playoff experience including a Cup.
To tell you the truth if I had to choose I'd prefer a big (6'5"/240 ) forward with some speed who can really hit hard on the fore check, make the opposition D move it quicker and more prone to mistakes. IMO. Gill can certainly be a good PK in front of the net which is good, no one wants the opposition to feel comfortable in front of our net including the likes of Lucic or other big forwards. Alberts can do so much but on road games that's easy to over come, so yes Gill ( or similar) would help. Would be even better if he was RH :D
cheers