Trade Deadline Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 28162
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Who couldn't get excited about Tyler Myers or Vic Hedman? Those 2 would be my fantasy picks from your list Strangler
Yeah well the thing is some of those guys would be expensive indeed.

Others not so much.

Prolly Gillis goes the cheaper route, but hey we can dream right?

It'll be interesting to see what GMMG does here.

*strangles some random person* ;)
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3779
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:
Jovocop wrote: Bernier, 26 y.o. $0.525m, has 76g 83a -3 in 386gp (0.41 ppg)
.
Bernier has size, scoring ability (only if he can regain his confidence) and is familiar with the AV's system.
Holy shit, is Jovocop huffing scotch guard out of ziplock baggy? I nearly spat out my dinner reading this. It's such a bad job at armchair GM'ing I can't even laugh about it. Bernier? Please tell me you are kidding.
I am sorry RD. I forgot that you hate players that had some ties with the Panthers. Is it true that Bernier has scored more goals and assists than Moen and/or Weise?? Is that true that Bernier has a cheaper contract than Moen or Weise?? Moen might be a better fighter than Bernier or Weise but he is no Lucic. Moen is an upgrade on Weise because he can kill penalties. The Canucks are full of capable penalty killers, Kesler, Burrows, Malhotra, Higgins, Hansen, Lapierre, and Raymond. Also, you can bet that it would cost MG a lot to acquire Moen. On the other hand, if Bernier can regain his "scoring touch" and get a few goals, would it be a bad idea?? For his contract and pending UFA status, there is basically a no risk move.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8363
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Jovocop wrote:On the other hand, if Bernier can regain his "scoring touch" and get a few goals, would it be a bad idea?? For his contract and pending UFA status, there is basically a no risk move.
The only problem I have with this is that he was given plenty of opportunities to score here. He didn't. What makes you think he'll be able to chip in playing 7-8 minutes/night? My bet would be on him being invisible and having a hard time getting into games. His final season here he played 14 mins/night, with 2+ minutes of PP time. He had 22 points, on pace for a 30 point season. I have my doubts Bernier would be any more effective than Weise. I don't think he's got the speed to get in on the forecheck, he's not nasty enough when he does and frankly we've been down that road before.

Travis Moen is a true bottom-6 grinder. He's EXACTLY what the Canucks lack, and he knows his role and plays it well. Unfortunately he's injured right now, but depending on the severity it might lower his price at the deadline.

I think Gillis would like nastier versions of Weise and Alberts. Guys that can play gritty minutes and step in when the physicality starts to take a toll in the playoffs. Nobody we bring in is going to back-up a major injury to Sedin/Kesler/Hamhuis/Bieksa etc., it's going to be a depth move and I hope it's for a couple real pricks (to play against, at least).
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1548
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: Lower left-hand corner

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by BladesofSteel »

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Robidas
Ballard Salo

Hmmmm.
User avatar
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by dhabums »

Jovocop wrote:I forgot that you hate players that had some ties with the Panthers.
I was sworn to secrecy on this, but fuck it. The reason the Canucks have dealt with the Panthers recently and relieved them of some bigger contracts was to make it affordable for the Panthers to take Luongo's salary if we or he decides to be traded.

You didn't hear it from me.
User avatar
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP
Posts: 13120
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Strangelove wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Who couldn't get excited about Tyler Myers or Vic Hedman? Those 2 would be my fantasy picks from your list Strangler
Yeah well the thing is some of those guys would be expensive indeed.

Others not so much.

Prolly Gillis goes the cheaper route, but hey we can dream right?

It'll be interesting to see what GMMG does here.

*strangles some random person* ;)
I agree. There's likely less than a 1% chance he makes a huge move at the deadline. I would expect more of a Adrian Aucoin type of addition.
We are a top team after all and why would he shake it all up after coming so close with essentially the exact same roster. The dreaming we do on here is more of a sport than anything.
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
Knucklehead
CC Veteran
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:39 am

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Knucklehead »

Strangelove wrote:Plan C:


To random NHL team - Ballard
To Vancouver - 4th round pick 2011



You can't be serious about this!

Ballard is worth a hell of a lot more than a 4th round pick, both to the nucks and most teams.

Did you see what free agent D men were garnering last summer?

He is still a quality defenceman.
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3779
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Jovocop »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Jovocop wrote:On the other hand, if Bernier can regain his "scoring touch" and get a few goals, would it be a bad idea?? For his contract and pending UFA status, there is basically a no risk move.
The only problem I have with this is that he was given plenty of opportunities to score here. He didn't. What makes you think he'll be able to chip in playing 7-8 minutes/night? My bet would be on him being invisible and having a hard time getting into games. His final season here he played 14 mins/night, with 2+ minutes of PP time. He had 22 points, on pace for a 30 point season. I have my doubts Bernier would be any more effective than Weise. I don't think he's got the speed to get in on the forecheck, he's not nasty enough when he does and frankly we've been down that road before.

Travis Moen is a true bottom-6 grinder. He's EXACTLY what the Canucks lack, and he knows his role and plays it well. Unfortunately he's injured right now, but depending on the severity it might lower his price at the deadline.

I think Gillis would like nastier versions of Weise and Alberts. Guys that can play gritty minutes and step in when the physicality starts to take a toll in the playoffs. Nobody we bring in is going to back-up a major injury to Sedin/Kesler/Hamhuis/Bieksa etc., it's going to be a depth move and I hope it's for a couple real pricks (to play against, at least).
The whole point is that the Canucks will be able to roll four lines. A line of Malhotra/Lapierre/Bernier should be able to take 10+ minutes per night and score a few goals. In the event of any injuries to the top nine, Bernier can slot in without looking lost.

Like I said, Moen brings more grit but would require a lot more to acquire. As a matter of fact, there might be a bidding war for his service this deadline. On the other hand, Bernier might cost next to nothing.
dbr
CC Legend
Posts: 3059
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by dbr »

BladesofSteel wrote:Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Robidas
Ballard Salo

Hmmmm.
It looks enticing but I have a feeling Tom Gaglardi isn't going to be too keen on his GM shipping an established vet on a cheap deal to the Canucks.
Jovocop wrote:Like I said, Moen brings more grit but would require a lot more to acquire. As a matter of fact, there might be a bidding war for his service this deadline. On the other hand, Bernier might cost next to nothing.
I don't think Bernier will cost next to nothing. Putting aside the fact that he played his way off a terrible Florida Panthers team and that he could not get a one-way contract this fall (and in fact had to sign an AHL deal and earn a two-way deal from the Devils), New Jersey is not a rebuilding team - despite the fact that they are in tough to re-sign him they are going to keep Zach Parise and take a run at the playoffs this year. Why would they trade what they think might be an NHL player without either getting an NHL player back or at the very least getting more than he is worth?

Meanwhile, Moen will almost certainly cost more but the margin will not be so large; at any rate for slightly more than what it would probably take for the Devils to dump a player they just signed the Canucks should be able to get a player who at the very least has stuck in the league.

We're not talking about a pound of flesh here, last year Gillis got a significantly better player in Chris Higgins for a third round pick and he got to dump a pretty bad contract (Evan Oberg) in the bargain.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1612
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Potatoe1 »

Subban - not a beast
Robidas - not a beast
Weber - Baest
Schenn -Beast
Byfuglien - Beast
Bogosian - Beast
Gleason - NTC
Klesla - Not a beast
Sarich (that's right) - Bad player
Kubina - Not a beast
Souray (you heard me) - Beast
Aucoin - not a beast


Pitkanen - Not a beast
Seabrook - LOL
Alzner - Not a beast
Michalek - Not a beast and NTC
Seidenberg - LOL
Burns - LOL
Hedman - LOL
Myers - LOL
Matt Greene - LA wount trade to us
Volchenkov - NTC
Girardi - Not a chance and not a beast
Polak - STL wont trade to us
Sbisa - not a beast


Most of these guys are not "Beasts" as described by you (Physical defensive player with some toughness), or have basically no chance of being traded to us due to their team being a potential first round match up or the player simply being a key piece in their teams future.

In other words the pickings are incredibly slim, which was sort my point all along.
Souray (you heard me) - Beast
- BTW this was the suggestion I found most intriguing.

If Souray could pick up our system and play the right side, I think he could be a good fit on our 3rd pairing.

Lots of toughness and still a good power play guy.

It's a risky move so I wouldn't pay a high price, but he's available I hope Gillis sniffs around.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 320
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Vpete »

dhabums wrote:
Jovocop wrote:I forgot that you hate players that had some ties with the Panthers.
I was sworn to secrecy on this, but fuck it. The reason the Canucks have dealt with the Panthers recently and relieved them of some bigger contracts was to make it affordable for the Panthers to take Luongo's salary if we or he decides to be traded.

You didn't hear it from me.
Okay hockeywidow :)
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 11177
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by rats19 »

Cannot be:.........for there is only one Hockeywidow... :D
Getting old is not for the young...
Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Fred »

It looks enticing but I have a feeling Tom Gaglardi isn't going to be too keen on his GM shipping an established vet on a cheap deal to the Canucks.
I can't see Gallardi making a trade with the Aqualini's period !
cheers
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3779
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Jovocop »

Fred wrote:
It looks enticing but I have a feeling Tom Gaglardi isn't going to be too keen on his GM shipping an established vet on a cheap deal to the Canucks.
I can't see Gallardi making a trade with the Aqualini's period !
Unless it is an overpayment from Aqualini.
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 16138
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Hockey Widow »

rats19 wrote:Cannot be:.........for there is only one Hockeywidow... :D
Aloha

I know nothing
The only HW the Canucks need
Post Reply