Trade Deadline Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

cjc
CC Veteran

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by cjc »

Fred wrote:
cjc wrote:
Hank wrote:Wow. BMo is now a Blackhawk.

Flames trade him for D Brian Connelly.

Wasn't it the Blackhawks bench that was chirping him when he was injured in a game against them? He wasn't at all impressed. Now he has to be part of their dressing room.
Chance to get a SC

True. Morrison is a classy guy so I'm sure it will never be brought up. Wonder if any of his class can rub off on the rest of them.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Morrison is a classy guy so I'm sure it will never be brought up. Wonder if any of his class can rub off on the rest of them.
only when talking to cabbies.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

On Morrison being taunted...the guy who did the taunting is no longer with the Hawks.

On to things that may concern the elitre team looking for a D-man....Gleason has re-signed with the Canes. 4yrs/$16 mil. You have to imagine he isn't going anywhere.

http://spectorshockey.net/wordpress/201 ... n-gleason/
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

tantalum wrote:On Morrison being taunted...the guy who did the taunting is no longer with the Hawks.

On to things that may concern the elitre team looking for a D-man....Gleason has re-signed with the Canes. 4yrs/$16 mil. You have to imagine he isn't going anywhere.

http://spectorshockey.net/wordpress/201 ... n-gleason/
One more defenseman off the market. $4m cap hit for 15G 99A -10 514 PIM in 526GP. All of a sudden, Ballard's contract does not look as bad now. $4.2m for 36G 127A +/-0 513 PM in 505 GP.
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Jovocop wrote:
One more defenseman off the market. $4m cap hit for 15G 99A -10 514 PIM in 526GP. All of a sudden, Ballard's contract does not look as bad now. $4.2m for 36G 127A +/-0 513 PM in 505 GP.
Gleason plays 20 minutes a night, plays a hard hitting game , leads his team in pk minutes and is tough enough to fight the other teams heavyweight.

I have been on Ballard's side since he's been here and on certain teams he may be a better fit than Tim Gleason depending on what said team is looking for. But if I had to pay one guy 4 million per year I think I'd go with Gleason. Admittedly,I have only seen him play a dozen games or so, but I like the snarl he plays with and I like his play on the PK. Ballard is a wasted asset here..... an expensive luxury in a cap world if you will. His days are numbered. There's no way he starts the season here in October.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
Gleason plays 20 minutes a night, plays a hard hitting game , leads his team in pk minutes and is tough enough to fight the other teams heavyweight.

I have been on Ballard's side since he's been here and on certain teams he may be a better fit than Tim Gleason depending on what said team is looking for. But if I had to pay one guy 4 million per year I think I'd go with Gleason. Admittedly,I have only seen him play a dozen games or so, but I like the snarl he plays with and I like his play on the PK. Ballard is a wasted asset here..... an expensive luxury in a cap world if you will. His days are numbered. There's no way he starts the season here in October.
Offensively, Ballard is definitely better than Gleason. It is a bit unfortunate that Ballard only gets a bit more than 15 minutes a night (no pp or pk time) since his arrival here. However, I do not believe that Gleason will get 20 minutes a night here as well. I agree that Ballard should be traded because he is not getting a fair shot here.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Gleason signs a 4 year extension with Carolina which has a NTC for the first 2 years of the contract
cheers
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

If Ballard isn't going to be here after October why not get some value for him at the deadline? There are players on the team who are just as well suited to his role and don't get paid nearly as much - a guy like Rome for example was miles better than Ballard in the playoffs and actually has some solid playoff experience under his belt as a result.

If I'm Gillis I look to trade Ballard in the right deal - he'll never be more valuable than he is at the deadline and he's easily replaced.
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Fred wrote:Gleason signs a 4 year extension with Carolina which has a NTC for the first 2 years of the contract
A day late and a dollar short
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Diehard1 wrote:If Ballard isn't going to be here after October why not get some value for him at the deadline? There are players on the team who are just as well suited to his role and don't get paid nearly as much - a guy like Rome for example was miles better than Ballard in the playoffs and actually has some solid playoff experience under his belt as a result.

If I'm Gillis I look to trade Ballard in the right deal - he'll never be more valuable than he is at the deadline and he's easily replaced.
Are you serious? Just forget about how Ballard was misused, Rome was only "ok" in the last playoffs. Ballard is a top four on most teams except the contenders. Rome is nothing more than a 5th-6th defenseman, except for AV.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

I'm getting tired of hearing how Ballard is 'misused' all the time - fact is, he just hasn't been very good in the Canucks system. That doesn't mean he's not a top 4 guy elsewhere or he doesn't have value, he just isn't a good fit here though.

I was a Ballard supporter all last year even when he was really struggling, and I was a Ballard supporter at the beginning of this year. That said, he just hasn't shown that he should be given 20 minutes a night on this team, he's arguably the 6th best dman on the roster. For his salary in a cap world that isn't good enough.

As for Aaron Rome - he's as solid a 6th dman as there is in the league. The younger Canuck fans simply don't seem to realize what a bad dman looks like, they bitch and moan (not talking about you in particular Jovocop, just in general) about not having a perfect #6 dman or 12th forward because they've had good teams to watch for so long. I went to my first Canuck game in '85 (and I know lots have been around longer than me) so I've seen a lot of bad teams and this one has very few warts. Rome is just fine at his job, doesn't complain, is cheap and doesn't make a ton of mistakes for a #6 guy. I'm not sure what you mean by he's more than a 5-6 under AV's system - he's never been that except for when injuries hit.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Diehard1 wrote:I'm getting tired of hearing how Ballard is 'misused' all the time - fact is, he just hasn't been very good in the Canucks system. That doesn't mean he's not a top 4 guy elsewhere or he doesn't have value, he just isn't a good fit here though.

I was a Ballard supporter all last year even when he was really struggling, and I was a Ballard supporter at the beginning of this year. That said, he just hasn't shown that he should be given 20 minutes a night on this team, he's arguably the 6th best dman on the roster. For his salary in a cap world that isn't good enough.

As for Aaron Rome - he's as solid a 6th dman as there is in the league. The younger Canuck fans simply don't seem to realize what a bad dman looks like, they bitch and moan (not talking about you in particular Jovocop, just in general) about not having a perfect #6 dman or 12th forward because they've had good teams to watch for so long. I went to my first Canuck game in '85 (and I know lots have been around longer than me) so I've seen a lot of bad teams and this one has very few warts. Rome is just fine at his job, doesn't complain, is cheap and doesn't make a ton of mistakes for a #6 guy. I'm not sure what you mean by he's more than a 5-6 under AV's system - he's never been that except for when injuries hit.
AV constantly put Ballard on the right side which he is not very comfortable. To me, that is misused. Yes, you can argue that with a $4.2m contract, Ballard should be able to adapt. Unfortunately, he cannot. Like I said, Ballard should be traded not because he sucks but for the sake of the team and Ballard as a player.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Jovocop wrote: AV constantly put Ballard on the right side which he is not very comfortable. To me, that is misused. Yes, you can argue that with a $4.2m contract, Ballard should be able to adapt. Unfortunately, he cannot. Like I said, Ballard should be traded not because he sucks but for the sake of the team and Ballard as a player.
When the Canucks lost Hamuis in the SCF last year, he decided to Ballard out as one of the top pairing d-men after he'd been benched for the past "X" number of games. Ballard played his best hockey of the year paired with Tanev, yet he was put on the ice in the #2 spot with Salo stuck on at the #5 with Tanev.

Ballard was destined to fail playing that role, I call that misused.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Like I said, Ballard should be traded not because he sucks but for the sake of the team and Ballard as a player.

Bingo

Frankly at this stage I'd be willing to play him upfront on the wing. Just imagine how many D he could catch with a hip check coming around the back of the net with their heads down
cheers
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Jovocop wrote:
Are you serious? Just forget about how Ballard was misused, Rome was only "ok" in the last playoffs. Ballard is a top four on most teams except the contenders. Rome is nothing more than a 5th-6th defenseman, except for AV.
Ballard's had a tough time adjusting here, there's no question about it. At least he's been professional about it.

Right now, his value couldn't be much lower. I can't see a situation where Gillis trades him at the deadline. He'll be with us until the offseason, where we can work freely around the salary cap situation.

All I see Gillis unloading some draft choices and prospects for depth. Even a guy like Mason Raymond won't be traded just for the sake of trading him. The Canucks are strictly looking to add, not really alter the makeup of their top-9 F or top-4 D. Someone like Travis Moen can probably be had for a second rounder, and I would suspect Gillis would then put a guy like Volpatti or Ebbett on LTIR to clear his cap and roster spot. Ditto for a depth D-man like Bryan Allen, who might bump Alberts to the waiver-wire.

Anyone pining for a big move is going to be disapointed, imo.