Trade Deadline Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Fred »

RoyalDude wrote:
tantalum wrote:Hot stove idiots believe Gleason will end up in Philly. Ruutu in Boston.
The Philadelphia angle makes sense. especially with Pronger down. The Bruins are the benchmark team and for teams contending in the Eastern conference they will have to be built in such a way that makes them competitive to be able to stand up to the Boston Bullies.
Looking forward to the Boston v's Philly game I believe Monday
cheers

Shark Circle
AHL Prospect
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Shark Circle »

coco_canuck wrote:Just read a great article about Raymond.

I was going to post something about the sudden clamouring for trading Raymond (not just on this site), but this article does a really good job of it and I don't have much to add to it.

This is from a non-Vancouver perspective, but it's a well written and salient article that takes a very rational look at Raymond's value.

http://sharkcircle.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... n-raymond/
Hello everyone, editor of Shark Circle here. My website's stats directed me here. I noticed the discussion being had about the article, and thought I'd create an account. First off, thanks for posting the article, coco_canuck, Im always happy when more people have the option to read my stuff, and that you and others liked the article.

Anyway, I just thought make an account in light of the discussion, and if anyone has any questions about the article, feel free to ask me. I won't post unless I'm addressed as I (edit: it said "I don't think" here earlier when I meant it to just say "I think") think the author of a given article should leave people to discuss it without butting in, but if you want to ask about it or talk about, or if you disagree with something, or aren't sure what I mean by something, just let me know!

User avatar
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1742
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Tiger »

Welcome to CC chat Shark Circle and thanks for the great article on Raymond.. Always good to see a balanced and intelligent writeup from an "outside" writer..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice

User avatar
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP
Posts: 11767
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by The Brown Wizard »

I was wondering what the San Jose perspective was after Joe Thorton was cleaning Henrik Sedins teeth a few weeks back? Was he critisized or applauded for "getting under his skin"? What was the point?
It suprised most of us because it was a pretty pathetic act and most here never knew he was like that.
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2108
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by mathonwy »

Interesting trade proposition.

Mason Raymond for Matt Niskanen.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... ?t=1085845

Is Tanev the answer or is it Niskanen?

Ever since that Raymond article was posted, my view on Raymond has slightly changed.

We are a true puck possession team and Raymond contributes to that greatly. How much of a hit would we take to our puck possession if we give up Raymond and take on a solid #4 defenseman in Niskanen?

Niskanen is only 25, he shoots right, he's got high offensive upside and doesn't get injured much. Unfortunately, he's not the big bruiser that we all want.

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: Lower left-hand corner

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by BladesofSteel »

mathonwy wrote:Interesting trade proposition.
How much of a hit would we take to our puck possession if we give up Raymond and take on a solid #4 defenseman in Niskanen?
I don't think its a matter of many of us wanting to unload Raymond, but he is deemed the most expendable asset this club could deal off the roster without hurting the core, yet still managing an important return. Sure he helps this be a dangerous puck possession team, but would people rather see Higgins, Hansen, Booth or Burrows be dealt instead? You've got to give something to get something and Gillis would be foolish to deal any of the other wingers I've mentioned.

Fact is, this is a great puck possession team that lost one of its better transition players in the off season in Christian Ehrhoff. This club needs a top four d-man who can replace what Ehrhoff brought to the PP and 5on5. It's beyond clear that Ballard won't be stepping into that role, and remains to be seen if Tanev can. Its also imperative that somewhere in the top six get more physical, as only Edler can provide an intimidation factor - as inconsistent as he is with that.

Interesting that both Niskanen and Mason were teammates during the same two years they played in Minny prior to turning pro.

I don't do the deal straight up though, as I don't think it helps the team enough to justify losing Mason.

wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 371
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:47 pm

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by wienerdog »

BladesofSteel wrote:
mathonwy wrote:Interesting trade proposition.
How much of a hit would we take to our puck possession if we give up Raymond and take on a solid #4 defenseman in Niskanen?
I don't think its a matter of many of us wanting to unload Raymond, but he is deemed the most expendable asset this club could deal off the roster without hurting the core, yet still managing an important return. Sure he helps this be a dangerous puck possession team, but would people rather see Higgins, Hansen, Booth or Burrows be dealt instead? You've got to give something to get something and Gillis would be foolish to deal any of the other wingers I've mentioned.

Fact is, this is a great puck possession team that lost one of its better transition players in the off season in Christian Ehrhoff. This club needs a top four d-man who can replace what Ehrhoff brought to the PP and 5on5. It's beyond clear that Ballard won't be stepping into that role, and remains to be seen if Tanev can. Its also imperative that somewhere in the top six get more physical, as only Edler can provide an intimidation factor - as inconsistent as he is with that.

Interesting that both Niskanen and Mason were teammates during the same two years they played in Minny prior to turning pro.

I don't do the deal straight up though, as I don't think it helps the team enough to justify losing Mason.
Me neither, but some in that thread are refining the proposal by suggesting a deal along the lines of:

Raymond + Alberts/Sulzer/Rome for Niskanen + Adams/Asham

Now that's a deal I'd be very interested in, especially if MG thinks he might be able to pry Moen out of MTL.

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8362
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Island Nucklehead »

wienerdog wrote: Now that's a deal I'd be very interested in, especially if MG thinks he might be able to pry Moen out of MTL.
I woudln't count on MG screwing around with the team that much.

I firmly believe that he blew his wad with the Booth deal. Chemistry is huge and if you start messing with too many bodies in-out you can really screw yourself over.

I think we'll likely see some picks/depth guys moved. But it will probably be along the lines of Alberts/Weise etc. going on waivers and 2nd/3rd round picks going out the door for warm bodies. The exception (I think) would be Ballard, but he'll only get moved if we are taking on significant salary.

I think they like the 3rd line being able to score. If the fourth line and bottom pairing become tougher to play against they'll be happy, imo.

User avatar
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP
Posts: 11767
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Marek zidlicky was a healthy scratch apparently last game for the wild. He's no monster but I seem to remember him being a pretty capable puck mover. He's 35 years old and shoots right. He has another year on the books for 4 million. Straight up for Ballard?
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:22 pm

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by CFP! »

I think Gillis can really deal from strength with both Raymond and Schnieder playing to their potential - *IF* he can find a deal that betters the team. Cant see either of the above mentioned getting moved unless it is for a player under 26-27 that will have an immediate impact short and long term.

Niskanen could be a good addition, but IMO Tanev can provide some of that if Salo goes down again.

I fully expected Lappy and Higgins to be rentals last year. They weren't. So the Gleason/Zidlicky/so-called rental doesn't worry me. I'd expect Sauve/Schroeder/Rodin/Parent + picks to be moved if we are picking up depth. I'd be surprised if anyone is taken off the top 9, top 5 on D.

User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3930
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Madcombinepilot »

nope.

no Zid's for us.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:07 am

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by damonberryman »

Shark Circle wrote:
coco_canuck wrote:Just read a great article about Raymond.

I was going to post something about the sudden clamouring for trading Raymond (not just on this site), but this article does a really good job of it and I don't have much to add to it.

This is from a non-Vancouver perspective, but it's a well written and salient article that takes a very rational look at Raymond's value.

http://sharkcircle.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... n-raymond/
Hello everyone, editor of Shark Circle here. My website's stats directed me here. I noticed the discussion being had about the article, and thought I'd create an account. First off, thanks for posting the article, coco_canuck, Im always happy when more people have the option to read my stuff, and that you and others liked the article. Anyway, I just thought make an account in light of the discussion, and if anyone has any questions about the article, feel free to ask me. I won't post unless I'm addressed as I (edit: it said "I don't think" here earlier when I meant it to just say "I think") think the author of a given article should leave people to discuss it without butting in, but if you want to ask about it or talk about, or if you disagree with something, or aren't sure what I mean by something, just let me know!
I really enjoyed your writing on ManRay. You have a great perspective on the game.

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:07 am

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by damonberryman »

I have been following this thread with interest. There are a lot of good comments and some smart trade ideas on here. The only one that make me rolf is the idea of trading Hodgson for anyone short of Tavares. For him, yes. Kes has more speed and more fire than Cody but he will not have the career this kid will. When the Sedins are gone we are going to need someone to step up. This kid has done it at every stage of his hockey life. I know I sound like a broken record but if it between Kes and Cody I keep the kid and cash in the Kes chip while it still has the value it currently owns. Having said that I also got to say I prefer to keep both of them. When healthy our top three lines need no tuning. I look forward to seeing them get used to each other and start to roll. Our fourth line can use one guy who can win the odd fight as well as forecheck and backcheck. We need the help in the D and even that is not an emergency kind of deal. If we go into the playoffs healthy we got a really good shot.
I have never seen so many good teams at one time as currently exists. St. Louis and Detroit last night was a hell of a game and more and more I see why MG tried to get Backes. Dats last night showed he may be the best in the best in the world right now. He does it all and he does it over and over again. Cosistent is an insult for this guy. Kes could be like him in many ways if he develops more of the day in and day out shit. Right now I never know who is showing up when he starts a game. As far as trades go I would like to see us get a high draft choice for what we get with Schnieds and I think that will happen on draft day. I see no point in trading him before then but I understand there are some young D coming up this year in the draft who look good. I do not get to see WHL much but this Dumba kid sounds good with lots of heart. Also Reilly.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 26605
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Strangelove »

Plan B:

To Tampa: Schneids, Ballard

To Vancouver: Kubina, Downie, Garon



Dank - Hank - Bank
Boothie - Kessie - Downie
Higgs - Hods - MayRay
Manny - Lappy - Hansy
Weise

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Kubina
Rome - Salo
Alberts
Sulzer
(Tanev)

Lou
Garon


EH? EH?? EH??? :thumbs:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Fred »

Schneider is IMO a star in the making I sure as Hell would want more than Kubina, Downie, Garon

Kbina IMO is soft, Downie a upscale rat and Garron is done like the turkey
cheers

Post Reply