Trade Deadline Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Southern_Canuck »

RoyalDude wrote:Damn, are you ever late to the party SC. I've been campaigning for Gillis to reel this kid in for a while, looked great at WJC's last year and is having a great year in the AHL
I'd like to pry loose both Ashton and Connolly somehow, but that is a serious pipe dream. Why didn't we draft this kid instead of that shrimp Shroeder I don't know, another bad Gillis move there. Ashton went a couple spots after Schroeder.
Hey, if it's a great party, I don't care if I'm late!

I don't see any way the Yzerman trades Carter Ashton AND Brett Connolly, and even though Connolly shows great hands and speed, it's a player like Ashton that the Canucks are missing.

Although, in a "win now" mentality, Shane Doan would be the best trade deadline acquisition.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
I brought this up in the Tampa GDT.... I see RD is clinging onto it like grim death which aint far off for him if he continues to smoke crack and roll with trannies.
it can get quite hairy down there.
:look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Southern_Canuck wrote: in a "win now" mentality, Shane Doan would be the best trade deadline acquisition.
Booth - Malhotra - Doan would be the best line in all of Christendom! :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:RD is clinging onto it like grim death which aint far off for him if he continues to smoke crack and roll with trannies.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Strangelove wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote: in a "win now" mentality, Shane Doan would be the best trade deadline acquisition.
Booth - Malhotra - Doan would be the best line in all of Christendom! :D
I think Malhotra family, mixed marriage but his father is Islamic, a primary academic family.. Now Hamhuis he can play a cymbal in the band
cheers
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

The business about Lou has gotten in my nose as well. I have the Center Ice package and have spent some time watching other teams. ALL of the goalies let in soft ones. There is no exception. I would say with the exception of Thomas but we never did anything to put him off his game like Tampa did. We stayed to the outside mostly with Burr being the only one to show up consistently in the so called 'dirty areas' and the refs had Tuna's back with him. I believe at this point that Lou can win it for us. Despite the awful media the Canucks have, he is a world class goalie, and if we traded him now we would look very stupid indeed. Has anyone considered how much positive impact Lou is having on Ginger? Take Lou away and who knows? No. We go with him and hope MG plugs any holes but most of all hope we stay reasonably healthy because if we do we have a good shot. As for the Bruins, I do not think they will get out of the East this year. The Rangers are a very good team that is well coached and deep.

OK. Maybe I get killed on this idea but WTF? IF there was a way to get the cap bit to work, how about Kes and Ballard for Weber? Maybe it is me but I think we need more of what Weber can bring than Kes can bring. There is a lot to like about Kes but there is a motivation issue as well. Not only does he look like a preening nancy boy in his nude photo, but he also looks selfish on the ice. Now Trotz has a reason to worship Kes. If he will take Ballard and his cap hit off our hands he can have him as far as I am concerned. Seems damn near perfect. Match made in heaven for any Jesus people out there.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

damonberryman wrote:The business about Lou has gotten in my nose as well. I have the Center Ice package and have spent some time watching other teams. ALL of the goalies let in soft ones. There is no exception. I would say with the exception of Thomas but we never did anything to put him off his game like Tampa did. We stayed to the outside mostly with Burr being the only one to show up consistently in the so called 'dirty areas' and the refs had Tuna's back with him. I believe at this point that Lou can win it for us. Despite the awful media the Canucks have, he is a world class goalie, and if we traded him now we would look very stupid indeed. Has anyone considered how much positive impact Lou is having on Ginger? Take Lou away and who knows? No. We go with him and hope MG plugs any holes but most of all hope we stay reasonably healthy because if we do we have a good shot. As for the Bruins, I do not think they will get out of the East this year. The Rangers are a very good team that is well coached and deep.

OK. Maybe I get killed on this idea but WTF? IF there was a way to get the cap bit to work, how about Kes and Ballard for Weber? Maybe it is me but I think we need more of what Weber can bring than Kes can bring. There is a lot to like about Kes but there is a motivation issue as well. Not only does he look like a preening nancy boy in his nude photo, but he also looks selfish on the ice. Now Trotz has a reason to worship Kes. If he will take Ballard and his cap hit off our hands he can have him as far as I am concerned. Seems damn near perfect. Match made in heaven for any Jesus people out there.
It was only few months ago when Kesler single handedly destroyed the Predators with Weber in the lineup. I am not sure Weber brings more than Kesler. I would rather have both than just one.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

damonberryman wrote:The business about Lou has gotten in my nose as well. I have the Center Ice package and have spent some time watching other teams. ALL of the goalies let in soft ones. There is no exception. I would say with the exception of Thomas but we never did anything to put him off his game like Tampa did. We stayed to the outside mostly with Burr being the only one to show up consistently in the so called 'dirty areas' and the refs had Tuna's back with him. I believe at this point that Lou can win it for us. Despite the awful media the Canucks have, he is a world class goalie, and if we traded him now we would look very stupid indeed. Has anyone considered how much positive impact Lou is having on Ginger? Take Lou away and who knows? No. We go with him and hope MG plugs any holes but most of all hope we stay reasonably healthy because if we do we have a good shot. As for the Bruins, I do not think they will get out of the East this year. The Rangers are a very good team that is well coached and deep.

Wow, that is asking for trouble. Kesler straight up though would be more than enough. But I wouldn't do it. Kesler is far too important to this team and what we would lose is not something we could replace internally.

Nashville wants young offensive players on good cap hits. Especially if they want to keep Suter. We have those types of players we could trade if we wanted to, along with dumping Ballard for the cap hit. But I'd keep kesler, he is a vital part of the core IMO.
The only HW the Canucks need
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Hockey Widow wrote: Nashville wants young offensive players on good cap hits. Especially if they want to keep Suter. We have those types of players we could trade if we wanted to, along with dumping Ballard for the cap hit. But I'd keep kesler, he is a vital part of the core IMO.
From what you can gather, do you think it's even reasonably possible that the Canucks can get Weber with a rich futures package and the likes of Raymond and/or Ballard in some sort of combination?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

coco_canuck wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Nashville wants young offensive players on good cap hits. Especially if they want to keep Suter. We have those types of players we could trade if we wanted to, along with dumping Ballard for the cap hit. But I'd keep kesler, he is a vital part of the core IMO.
From what you can gather, do you think it's even reasonably possible that the Canucks can get Weber with a rich futures package and the likes of Raymond and/or Ballard in some sort of combination?

Not with players like Getzlaf and Perry and Ryan on the potential trade block.

It depends upon what the preds want really and if they think they can keep Suter. If I am the preds I do one of two things. I try to re-sign Suter ASAP. If I can't then I do nothing until July 1st and see what happens. If Suter walks then the Preds will resign Weber for at least one more year. They can't afford to have them both gone IMO. So a big question for them is Suter.

If they can re-sign Suter and Weber won't extend they still have one more year with him if they want but at least now they have both their goalie and Suter under contract so they can deal Weber from a position of strength. They will get more for him if he is an unsigned RFA I think as the taking team can negotiate a long term deal.

So if I'm Nashville I do nothing with Weber until I know what Suter is doing. As far as a trade package I do think we have the young assets and picks required to get a deal done if that is what the Preds want. We could trade a combination of Tanev, Sauve, Raymond, Hodgson, Hansen, Jensen, Schoerder and any combination of picks, again depending upon what the Preds want. What we don't have is the big name player like a Getzlaf or Perry to trade. At least I would hope we don't.

Ballard I see separately as a different deal to unload the cap hit if we were to land a Weber. Knowing MG to date I can't see him making a big move like this though. I can see him waiting to see what Weber does this summer, that is does he only sign for one year wanting to be UFA the following and if yes then I do what I can to clear cap space for that day and hope to be in the running. I'm not just sure if he is the type of GM to empty the cupboard to land one player.

But so much depends upon the direction the Preds want to take. If they want to continue to spend at the floor then they may be more interested in a package of prospects and picks than in a Getzlaf or Perry type. If thats the case then we know they covet offence and I think we have enough to get that done if we throw in a Tanev into the mix to add defensive depth for them. I also think 1-2 1st would go a long way.

Would I do it? Yes, for Weber. I would give them Tanev, Raymond and one of Schoerder/Jensen and 2, 1sts for Weber. But I would make it conditional somehow on us extending him past one year. So maybe Tanev, Raymond. Schoerder plus a 1st and something conditional if we sign him 4-5 years.

As to what I am hearing? There are no serious talks regarding any blockbuster trades or big name players coming here. All MG is interested in doing is tweaking. He is sticking to his guns that the off season is the time for big deals and he has already made his "big" deal this season.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Schneids + Ballard to the centre of the universe for Schenn + Monster.

Raymond for Ruutu.

2nd for Moen.

Get er done Gillis! :hmmm:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Strangelove wrote:Schneids + Ballard to the centre of the universe for Schenn + Monster.

Raymond for Ruutu.

2nd for Moen.

Get er done Gillis! :hmmm:
How many years do we genuinely have a shot at ? 2-3 maybe
cheers
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote:Schneids + Ballard to the centre of the universe for Schenn + Monster.
What the fuck is it with the centre on the universe and handicapped parking?

Jason "I've always wanted to fight cancer" Blake is gone so they get

Phil "Busting his nut" Kessel

Johan "The heartless Monster" Gustavson

Let them keep their cripples.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Hockey Widow wrote: As to what I am hearing? There are no serious talks regarding any blockbuster trades or big name players coming here. All MG is interested in doing is tweaking. He is sticking to his guns that the off season is the time for big deals and he has already made his "big" deal this season.
The Preds are only 3 points back of the Canucks with a game in hand. Right now they are comfortably in a playoffs spot and playing great hockey.

Baring a major trend downward I completely agree with your time line.

I think there is basically zero chance that Weber or Sutter are traded this season. The Preds will likely keep both players until they re-sign or walk.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: As to what I am hearing? There are no serious talks regarding any blockbuster trades or big name players coming here. All MG is interested in doing is tweaking. He is sticking to his guns that the off season is the time for big deals and he has already made his "big" deal this season.
The Preds are only 3 points back of the Canucks with a game in hand. Right now they are comfortably in a playoffs spot and playing great hockey.

Baring a major trend downward I completely agree with your time line.

I think there is basically zero chance that Weber or Sutter are traded this season. The Preds will likely keep both players until they re-sign or walk.
Or trade Sutter's rights just a week before the free agency begins.