Trade Deadline Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: could be a combo of him getting shated by the coach and
'shafted' or 'shat on'?? :mrgreen:

Don't forget Ballard needs to play left side to be effective... on a team with Hamhuis & Edler... as a factor.
Totally agree with you.... although he looks better in his limited time on the right than last season, he is obviously not real comfortable over there (hello pro scouting) . He is redundant here at this point and a fresh start for all at this point would be best.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

I have to admit, Tantalum, you make a good case for Gleason as the 5th D. I could see that. And, who wouldn't want Ruutu? :) Ballard and Raymond for Gleason and Ruutu, I would not hesitate! :wink: Don't know if the Canes see it as an even swap, mind you. But what about that 4th line winger? As your priority 2a., would he be more important than getting someone like Ruutu? No? But, now that you've brought this up, I would be all over that Ballard/Raymond for Ruutu/Gleason trade! Please try to set her up, Tantalum!

You know, I think Nashville is on the way to losing both Suter and Weber. Weber signed last summer with the understanding that ownership was committed to spending more to build a winning team (at least that was the shpiel). That didn't happen! This year their spending is still under 50 mil (with a salary cap of 64+ mil). Where's the new commitment in that? :hmmm: If they make the playoffs (not sure at the moment), they won't go far, especially given how the contenders in the West are on so much of a par now. So, if Weber is set to go in the summer (likely), Poile may choose not to deal Suter at the deadline, given what he can expect to rake in for Weber. But, if the package is tempting enough, and the team is not really weakened by the exit of Suter (a reasonable D man included in the trade, perhaps) then, I think Suter will be dealt. A lot of "ifs", I know, but that's how the cookie gets crumbled!

P.S. Glad to hear that there are more "Ballard realists" here! Let's not mention how that's not the case over at CDC!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Orcasfan wrote:I have to admit, Tantalum, you make a good case for Gleason as the 5th D. I could see that. And, who wouldn't want Ruutu? :) Ballard and Raymond for Gleason and Ruutu, I would not hesitate! :wink: Don't know if the Canes see it as an even swap, mind you. But what about that 4th line winger? As your priority 2a., would he be more important than getting someone like Ruutu? No? But, now that you've brought this up, I would be all over that Ballard/Raymond for Ruutu/Gleason trade! Please try to set her up, Tantalum!

You know, I think Nashville is on the way to losing both Suter and Weber. Weber signed last summer with the understanding that ownership was committed to spending more to build a winning team (at least that was the shpiel). That didn't happen! This year their spending is still under 50 mil (with a salary cap of 64+ mil). Where's the new commitment in that? :hmmm: If they make the playoffs (not sure at the moment), they won't go far, especially given how the contenders in the West are on so much of a par now. So, if Weber is set to go in the summer (likely), Poile may choose not to deal Suter at the deadline, given what he can expect to rake in for Weber. But, if the package is tempting enough, and the team is not really weakened by the exit of Suter (a reasonable D man included in the trade, perhaps) then, I think Suter will be dealt. A lot of "ifs", I know, but that's how the cookie gets crumbled!

P.S. Glad to hear that there are more "Ballard realists" here! Let's not mention how that's not the case over at CDC!

Weber signed because he went to arbitration and the Preds accepted the outcome. He refused to sign a contract because he wanted to see a commitment from the Preds which they tired to show when they re-signed their goalie. But they still spend only to the limit to receive NHL handouts and have not done anything to address their lack of offensive production.

I am sure weber would have been just as happy if the Preds turned down the arbitration award and he became UFA.
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

ESQ wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:If we do trade Cory mid-season(and I don't think we will BTW) it'll likely be for Schenn or nothing.

I personally think he still has tremendous upside. I watched him in Kelowna partnered with Weber and he was a monster. I can't help but think the Laughs ruined him by rushing him into the line up out of necessity.
I did a double-take there, I had no idea he played with Weber, hard to believe only a couple years separates the two.
I don't think he did. Weber's last year with the Rockets was 2004-5 and Schenn's first was 05-06.. the year one Alex Edler manned the Rockets blueline.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

dbr wrote:
ESQ wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:If we do trade Cory mid-season(and I don't think we will BTW) it'll likely be for Schenn or nothing.

I personally think he still has tremendous upside. I watched him in Kelowna partnered with Weber and he was a monster. I can't help but think the Laughs ruined him by rushing him into the line up out of necessity.
I did a double-take there, I had no idea he played with Weber, hard to believe only a couple years separates the two.
I don't think he did. Weber's last year with the Rockets was 2004-5 and Schenn's first was 05-06.. the year one Alex Edler manned the Rockets blueline.
Actually he did, but just not on the ice, during the Memorial Cup run and Schenn credits Weber with being a huge influence in his career.
Ironically, Tyler Myers credits Schenn with the same sort of mentoring.
"The Kelowna Rockets arranged for Schenn to join the team during their Memorial Cup run at the end of the 2004–05 season. He roomed with Shea Weber as the team wanted him to learn about his future role.[4] Schenn debuted with the Rockets during the 2005–06 WHL season, and was the team's Rookie of the Year.[5] He served as an alternate captain for the team during the 2007–08 season.[2] Later in that same season, Schenn was named to the WHL's roster for the ADT Canada-Russia Challenge[2][5] and participated in the annual Canadian Hockey League Top Prospects Game, where he served as a team captain and scored a goal.[6] While playing in Kelowna, he was often paired with Buffalo Sabres defenceman Tyler Myers.[4] Schenn was named to the WHL's Second All-Star Team after the 2007–08 season.[7]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Schenn
If you need air...call it in
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Ahh thanks UDL. Figured I had to be missing something there.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

dbr wrote:Ahh thanks UDL. Figured I had to be missing something there.
I thought they had a year on ice but I'm wrong!!!
Kelowna in those days was junior hockey heaven and the parade of talented defencemen who came out of there was unbelievable. I was down on the Canucks for not picking Myers actually. you could see that he was going to be a top talent as a kid.
If you need air...call it in
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

I am not sure how accurate that is. I just saw it on twitter.
SportsnetHorn

@DougMaclean just mentioned the #Canucks may be close to acquiring enforcer and Princeton graduate George Parros from the #Ducks. #NHL
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

tantalum wrote:Malone could be that guy. Tuomo Ruutu is another one that comes to mind.
Malone has had consistent injury problems throughout his career. Also, he didn't shine in last year's playoffs when many Tampa players were padding their stats like crazy (Vinny, Teddy Purcell, Steve Downie all at PPG, Malone with 6 points in 18 games). Malone also has a NMC, and if I recall Tampa hired his dad to get him to sign there, so I don't see him moving.

Ruutu in my mind is an injury prone player as well, but I was surprised to see he's only missed 1 game the past 2 1/2 seasons.

But the real coup de grace would be Selanne - http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/01/15/se ... of-address. He's on a very cap-friendly contract, MG would have to relinquish picks/prospects, but what a piece to pick up for a run.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Rintoul is saying GM MG is close to acquiring Parros.

I personally don't understand such an acquisition but at the very least the "goon or bust" people would shut up.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

tantalum wrote:Rintoul is saying GM MG is close to acquiring Parros.

I personally don't understand such an acquisition but at the very least the "goon or bust" people would shut up.
I am guessing Parros would be the 13th forward and only be used against other physical teams.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I wonder if Rintoul has any source other than Doug McLean (who seems to have lost it over the last few years)..
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

MG always liked the smart guys so maybe this has legs...Parros i think is a Princeton Grad :D
cheers
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCETWSUv ... r_embedded

If this is the Parros that the Canucks are getting, I would love that. A big hit to Savard and fought Thornton. One shift and took out two players.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Jovocop wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCETWSUv ... r_embedded

If this is the Parros that the Canucks are getting, I would love that. A big hit to Savard and fought Thornton. One shift and took out two players.
Yeah I could handle some of that, man what a hit, shoulder to shoulder but the guys like 6'5"/240. Thornton you have to say answered the bell but Parros pretty well dragged him around
cheers