Trade Deadline Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by UWSaint »

If you are a realist, Montreal is done for the season. In the Cammalleri trade, they got a little bit worse but freed up a lot of money ($2.67 million per season). A little bit worse than what they were (bad) means there is no reason to believe this team can make the playoffs, even in the weaker east.

But I am not sure that Montral management is comprised of realists, given the Kaberle deal. Instead, it looks like an organization like the Flames -- not quite comfortable with the idea that this group is never going to win a Cup, to say nothing of the remoteness of the playoffs.... This might be another *dramatic move to shake us out of our funk* move. The "funk", though, is death.

Point is, realistically, Moen should be on the table. But for the whole conference thing, by all rights he should go to Toronto for a second round pick and a marginal prospect....

The other decent player that should be made available is Andrei Kostitsyn. He's not a a guy the Canucks should target, but I think there would be a number of playoff teams that could use another top 6 guy for an injury replacement or because they have scoring issues. Nashville and Minnesota come to mind if they remain in the hunt, and there isn't really a team in the east (outside of Philly and Boston) that couldn't use a bit more punch and might take the risk of his inconsistent and sometimes inattentive play. He's the kind of player the Canucks would have been after in the Naslund era as the Sedin's winger or the Bertuzzi suspension replacement.
Hono_rary Canadian
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Gleason is 6ft 1 , 214. Carry on Pacific Blue.
Wikipedia and TSN have him at 6'0 Blobby. Stop padding those numbers will ya.

Let me see, wikipedia and TSN are the most accurate website on earth. With your logic, is it safe to assume that NHLPA's site is inaccurate then?? :?:

http://www.nhlpa.com/Players/25042/
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

UWSaint wrote: Point is, realistically, Moen should be on the table. But for the whole conference thing, by all rights he should go to Toronto for a second round pick and a marginal prospect....
If I were MG, I would get on the phone with Montreal and offer a 3rd round pick and a marginal prospect for Moen. He can definitely bring some needed cup experiences as well as toughness to the bottom 6.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

I don't see MG trading away any of our D. If anything he might move a forward and a low pick for more D as his preoccupation since he arrived has been to load up on Dmen. A lot of you lament the injuries and say that they are the reason our guys lost last year. I agree, but there might have been less injuries if there had been someone to reckon with for the blatant fouls and attempts to injure. I think AV hit the nail on the head when he said Marchand will get his one day. I'm hoping it's a Canuck that gives it to him. Moen would look good but his 1.5 price tag may be too high. Gleason is way out of contention by his 3.5 salary and the Hockey News lists him at 6 feet, not 6' 1" but hey who knows as they are all listed differently where ever you look.

Personally I like the idea of going after Tim Jackman. His listed salary of 550K fits the wage bracket and while he's not a true enforcer he still carries a reputation of getting it done and he can play regular minutes. The other guy I am really impressed with is Deryk Engelland. With proper minute management he can play without hurting this team and he is as tough as they come. He earns 660k and that too would fit nicely with the salary cap, unfortunately I don't see the Penguins trading him anytime soon..
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

If I had the choice I'd go for Moen and Hal Gill out of Montreal. Moen has been discussed and he's a great fit.

Gill is a pylon but he's huge and can move up to the 4th/5th spot if the inevitable injuries happen. He's also a UFA this off-season and shouldn't be overly expensive to pick up. He is just insurance, after all, you don't want to overpay for a 5th/6th guy who is only there to cover if one of the top 4 get injured.

Not sure how this works with the cap but in total these guys make $3.75 million combined. Works out to about $1 million at the deadline, so they'd probably need to send down a guy or two.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Canuck-One wrote:I don't see MG trading away any of our D. If anything he might move a forward and a low pick for more D as his preoccupation since he arrived has been to load up on Dmen. A lot of you lament the injuries and say that they are the reason our guys lost last year. I agree, but there might have been less injuries if there had been someone to reckon with for the blatant fouls and attempts to injure. I think AV hit the nail on the head when he said Marchand will get his one day. I'm hoping it's a Canuck that gives it to him. Moen would look good but his 1.5 price tag may be too high. Gleason is way out of contention by his 3.5 salary and the Hockey News lists him at 6 feet, not 6' 1" but hey who knows as they are all listed differently where ever you look.

Personally I like the idea of going after Tim Jackman. His listed salary of 550K fits the wage bracket and while he's not a true enforcer he still carries a reputation of getting it done and he can play regular minutes. The other guy I am really impressed with is Deryk Engelland. With proper minute management he can play without hurting this team and he is as tough as they come. He earns 660k and that too would fit nicely with the salary cap, unfortunately I don't see the Penguins trading him anytime soon..
Forget about Jackman, the Flames are trying hard to make the playoffs.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Jovocop wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Gleason is 6ft 1 , 214. Carry on Pacific Blue.

Let me see, wikipedia and TSN are the most accurate website on earth. With your logic, is it safe to assume that NHLPA's site is inaccurate then?? :?:

Who cares if he's 6'0 or 6'1, what does that have to do with anything...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Gleason is 6ft 1 , 214. Carry on Pacific Blue.

1" means a lot to some guys.... 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Potatoe1 wrote:Who cares if he's 6'0 or 6'1, what does that have to do with anything...
Exactly, how tall was Bure when he took out Churla?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Diehard1 wrote: If I had the choice I'd go for Moen and Hal Gill out of Montreal. Moen has been discussed and he's a great fit.

Gill is a pylon but he's huge and can move up to the 4th/5th spot if the inevitable injuries happen. He's also a UFA this off-season and shouldn't be overly expensive to pick up. He is just insurance, after all, you don't want to overpay for a 5th/6th guy who is only there to cover if one of the top 4 get injured.

Not sure how this works with the cap but in total these guys make $3.75 million combined. Works out to about $1 million at the deadline, so they'd probably need to send down a guy or two.
Yeah I mentioned this the other day, found it floating around the net. We'd have to send at least one contract the other way (Alberts ? Oreo?) and a coupla second round picks?? They are both UFAs in the summer. Both are on the #1 PK unit. It would be AWESOME to get them both. Manny-Lappy-Moen!

They only problem is Gill plays the left side pretty exclusively I think.

So Gillis would prolly have a Ballard deal in place first?

Anyway: MOEN!! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

It is irrelevant but just to satisfy RD... :lol:
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Jovocop wrote:Forget about Jackman, the Flames are trying hard to make the playoffs.
:lol:
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Topper wrote:Ballard and Cody for Marchand and Ference
I don't think any half-witted fan here is that desperate to be rid of the one they call "healthy scratch".
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Topper wrote:TRADE ALERT!!!

Keith Ballard is a healthy scratch tonight (Sulzer, Alberts, Rome all playing)

omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg....
Ballard and Cody for Marchand and Ference
Garth Snow, is that you???
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

was that a Farhan trade rumor?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.