Trade Deadline Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Farhan Lalji »

I don't know guys.....

Given how inept the Canucks' defense has looked without Sami Salo, combined with how terrible our defense looked in the finals last year once Hamhuis went down.............I'm starting to think that we MAY infact, have to package BOTH Schneider and Hodgson for a franchise defenseman.

As inconsistent as Luongo looked last year during the playoffs, I will admit that Luongo was actually CONSISTENTLY good when the defense was healthy and/or playing well. Luongo's inconsistency only seemed to surface when our defense was unhealthy.

So with that in mind - I actually don't mind letting Schneider go (packaged with someone else) IF the Canucks can get a franchise defenseman in return. Shea Weber automatically comes to mind, but they don't need Schneids. Wonder what the Preds would take to give up Weber.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

okcanuck wrote:
I had the pleasure of watching Luke Schenn during his Rockets junior career.

When the leaves drafted him everyone in Kelowna assumed that he would be back with the Rockets, after all how many 18 year old defencmen make the NHL? The fact that he made it with the leaves that year (top 4 D) was more a reflection on the shitty team the leaves were and still are.

No the leaves had to keep him even though they were going nowhere. They should have sent him back for one more year of juniors. They instead kept him and have beaten his confidence into the ground. He has tons of talent and is still only 21. Given the right kind of coaching he can again develop into a top 4 d man on pretty much any team in the NHL IMO.
So, Schenn is a Scott Stevens on any other team in the NHL except the Maple leaves? So, the reason why he is getting scratched and stinks the joint out and isn't playing like a super star studded D-man is because of the uni he is wearing? So, if the Canucks trade Schneider or Hodgson for him we are getting a guaranted super star defenseman in return, no if ands or buts? Wow, shi-ite! I wonder why the leaves don't see this and everyone else outside of the leaves do? They must be iiiiiiidiots.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Madcombinepilot wrote:what about a Nick Foligno from the sens?

any coments on how he might fit with this team?

I am thinking in the context of what he might bring to the bottom 6..
I really like that kid but I doubt Ottawa is going to let go of him unless they get a lot back. He is young, tough, can score and is a bit of a leader from what I can see. I really like their team and getting the reluctant warrior from the Yotes upgraded them. I can see that kid being a stud at center. I sure wish we had gotten Turris but I guess they wanted too much. Runblad is also going to be a good one and if there is one thing the Sens have it is a surfeit of young D-men. Have you spent any time watching Karlsson? That kid is the next Lindstrom if such a thing exists. Also like Cowen a lot. If Anderson was not so streaky in net they might go farther than we expect. Give them a number one tender and who knows? Spezza, Alfie, Foligno, Milan...and the young D. Next to Canucks I like them most in Canada.

I cannot get the idea of Kes going for Weber out of my head. I know Kes is a good one but I figure it this way..If we have Kes and no big scary stud with a cannon on the blue line what are the odds of a Cup? Then...If we had Weber but no Kes, what are the odds? I got to say Weber gives us the best shot although I too would prefer to keep both. I have come to the temporary conclusion (ain't they all?) that we will win better with that scary stud and no Selke winner. Put another way, would you trade Weber straight up for Dats? Another Selke winner. It is just an idea but Kes has more value to Nashville then he likely does to most teams due to his outstanding series against them last year. Coho is going to be a second line center. He is younger than Kes and is not quite the prima donna kes is. Like this recent crap about AV and what he said regarding Kes. WTF is Kes's problem? He is not playing anywhere close to his potential. Everyone was thinking Dec as when he would be ready to move on. It will be Feb soon and I watch him skate into the zone, turn and unload his wrist shot from around the top of the corcle. Enough.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Does anyone know anything about Jeff Schultz? He has been a healthy scratch numerous times this season. With 27GP, he had 0g and 5a and +1. He is 6'6"and 230lbs. He has 2 more years left on his contract with a cap hit of $2.75m. Would the Capitals be an ideal trading partner? Ballard for Schultz? The Canucks can free up roughly about $1.5m.

The Hockey News analysis:
ASSETS: Has great size and reach. Is capable of playing a ton of minutes in all game situations. Usually keeps things simple in the defensive zone.

FLAWS: Plays too much of a passive game. Lacks ideal mobility for the blueline position at the highest level. Will never put up offensive numbers to match his size.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Gangly defensive defenseman.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

damonberryman wrote:[Put another way, would you trade Weber straight up for Dats? Another Selke winner.
Comparing Kes and Datsyuk because they've won Selkes is a little bit like comparing Ryan Miller and Martin Brodeur.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Jovocop wrote:Does anyone know anything about Jeff Schultz? He has been a healthy scratch numerous times this season. With 27GP, he had 0g and 5a and +1. He is 6'6"and 230lbs. He has 2 more years left on his contract with a cap hit of $2.75m. Would the Capitals be an ideal trading partner? Ballard for Schultz? The Canucks can free up roughly about $1.5m.

ASSETS: Has great size and reach. Is capable of playing a ton of minutes in all game situations. Usually keeps things simple in the defensive zone.

FLAWS: Plays too much of a passive game. Lacks ideal mobility for the blueline position at the highest level. Will never put up offensive numbers to match his size.

I know that many internetters claimed he was great defensively because he won the Bud Lite +/- award in 2010.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

dhabums wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Does anyone know anything about Jeff Schultz? He has been a healthy scratch numerous times this season. With 27GP, he had 0g and 5a and +1. He is 6'6"and 230lbs. He has 2 more years left on his contract with a cap hit of $2.75m. Would the Capitals be an ideal trading partner? Ballard for Schultz? The Canucks can free up roughly about $1.5m.

I know that many internetters claimed he was great defensively because he won the Bud Lite +/- award in 2010.
Yes, +50 in 09/10 season. Malik v2?
Last edited by Jovocop on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Big guy without a mean streak or any mobility who has one great +/- season to his credit? Might as well be describing Malik (although it remains to be seen I guess whether Schultz has the same shootout moves)..
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

dbr wrote:Big guy without a mean streak or any mobility who has one great +/- season to his credit? Might as well be
describing Malik (although it remains to be seen I guess whether Schultz has the same shootout moves)..
Malik had his best NHL seasons with the Canucks. A fair trade? A feisty midget for a friendly giant?
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I'm watching the leaves-Wild game tonight and I keep watching Clatterbuck running every thing in a blue shirt and it suddenly occurs to me :D :D We're setting about this all wrong...we don't want another D or a Power Forward what we need is a rat that draws a lot more penalties so our vaunted PP can get on the ice more often.

What do you think....more weasels and rats :D :D
cheers
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
okcanuck wrote:
I had the pleasure of watching Luke Schenn during his Rockets junior career.

When the leaves drafted him everyone in Kelowna assumed that he would be back with the Rockets, after all how many 18 year old defencmen make the NHL? The fact that he made it with the leaves that year (top 4 D) was more a reflection on the shitty team the leaves were and still are.

No the leaves had to keep him even though they were going nowhere. They should have sent him back for one more year of juniors. They instead kept him and have beaten his confidence into the ground. He has tons of talent and is still only 21. Given the right kind of coaching he can again develop into a top 4 d man on pretty much any team in the NHL IMO.
So, Schenn is a Scott Stevens on any other team in the NHL except the Maple leaves? So, the reason why he is getting scratched and stinks the joint out and isn't playing like a super star studded D-man is because of the uni he is wearing? So, if the Canucks trade Schneider or Hodgson for him we are getting a guaranted super star defenseman in return, no if ands or buts? Wow, shi-ite! I wonder why the leaves don't see this and everyone else outside of the leaves do? They must be iiiiiiidiots.

who said anything about Scott Stevens. Next time read the post . All I said was Luke can be developed into a top 4 D. Guaranteed superstar? Where do you see that on my post? IMO the leaves destroyed any confidence that an 18 year-old could possess. The leaves were going nowhere that year and it was ridiculous for Wilson to say at the time that he was one of their top defenceman.

No, Burke and Wilson blew it as far as Schenn is concerned, but his career can be resurected given better coaching and patience.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

okcanuck wrote:

who said anything about Scott Stevens. Next time read the post . All I said was Luke can be developed into a top 4 D. Guaranteed superstar? Where do you see that on my post? IMO the leaves destroyed any confidence that an 18 year-old could possess. The leaves were going nowhere that year and it was ridiculous for Wilson to say at the time that he was one of their top defenceman.

No, Burke and Wilson blew it as far as Schenn is concerned, but his career can be resurected given better coaching and patience.

It wasn't Burke. In fact Burke said when he got to TO that had he been the GM at the time he would not have kept Luke on the roster given his age and position he plays. Having said that he went on to say now that he is here we will work with him to improve.
The only HW the Canucks need
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

I stand corrected about Burke, but it was Wilson who said ``Why would we send him back he`s easily one of our best defenceman``
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Today's trade proposal:

Mason Raymond and Chris Tanev
for
Zach Bogosian and Chris Thorburn

Doesn't solve all the problems, but would certainly make the team more "balanced".
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BladesofSteel wrote:Today's trade proposal:

Mason Raymond and Chris Tanev
for
Zach Bogosian and Chris Thorburn

Doesn't solve all the problems, but would certainly make the team more "balanced".
Terrible trade. Bogosian is another high first round pick bust like Eric Johnson and WTF Thorburn? He isn't even a good fighter. And you give up two young highly skilled players for this.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau