Trade Deadline Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Fred »

Who cares if he's 6'0 or 6'1, what does that have to do with anything...
I do and hears why

We all have to look and learn. Did any one notice when Marchand low bridged Salo ( a team favourite I'm sure ) what happened right after that. Two Canucks players rushed to Marchand but the Zedeno Chara arrived and every one backed off. You see when you play the Bruins they have the ultimate insurance policy no one is going to get worked over, so they play with that edge. If Chara wasn't there I'm thinking even Thorton would not be so aggressive. So you have to face facts unless you can challenge Chara forget a physical series against the Bruins...and I'm thinking more and more it looks like Boston barring an injury ( like Pitts devastated line up ) they'll be the team to come out the east. The other fact that must be faced up to the Sedins do not play as well in a physical series IMO.

Think of ways to eliminate Chara :D
cheers
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Fred wrote:
Who cares if he's 6'0 or 6'1, what does that have to do with anything...
I do and hears why

We all have to look and learn. Did any one notice when Marchand low bridged Salo ( a team favourite I'm sure ) what happened right after that. Two Canucks players rushed to Marchand but the Zedeno Chara arrived and every one backed off. You see when you play the Bruins they have the ultimate insurance policy no one is going to get worked over, so they play with that edge. If Chara wasn't there I'm thinking even Thorton would not be so aggressive. So you have to face facts unless you can challenge Chara forget a physical series against the Bruins...and I'm thinking more and more it looks like Boston barring an injury ( like Pitts devastated line up ) they'll be the team to come out the east. The other fact that must be faced up to the Sedins do not play as well in a physical series IMO.

Think of ways to eliminate Chara :D
So uhhh what does that have to do with Gleason being 6"0 or 6"1 ?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Fred wrote: Think of ways to eliminate Chara :D
Hmmm...

Hard to get to his head cuz it's waaay the fuck up there.

Can't run him from behind into the boards because he's too damn careful.

Slashes don't seem to affect him cuz I think he's he's some kind of alien robot from the future.

Can't concusss him straight up with a giant superfighter cuz he's too damn tough.

HMMM.

Guess we'd need some little shit who knows how to attack the knees of an opponent

... and is evil & stupid enough to do just that.

Topper's right: We must trade for Bradley The Rat Marchand! Image

THEN we can chop that fucker down.....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Potatoe1 wrote: So uhhh what does that have to do with Gleason being 6"0 or 6"1 ?

Thought it was just me....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jovocop wrote: With your logic, is it safe to assume that NHLPA's site is inaccurate then?? :?:

http://www.nhlpa.com/Players/25042/
That is an honest of an organization as any Union out there. Union's are known for not cooking the books, fudging numbers if you may, for the benefit of their beloved members. Union's don't like over-hyping their members for financial gain at all. So, I stand corrected, Jovocop.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Bobby Mac saying on NHL network saying the following will be on the move:

Gleason (as discussed)
Tuomo Ruutu (now he might be a nice addition to the top 9 in place of Mason Raymond for instance. Canes may even be interested in Raymond as he is RFA and they can keep him around for a few years)
Zanon
Lundin
Brassard

Gleason's fight card this year has included Gaustad, Sutton and Thorburn....they average 6' 4.5" and 231lbs. He hasn't won any though (2 losses, 1 draw according to hockeyfights). 35 fights in his NHL career. He isn't the ideal guy but he does possess a lot of what the blueline is missing.

Before you make that move for a Gleason-like player, the Suter or Weber trade possibility has to be exhausted (and Gillis has to be careful not to remove himself from later Weber discussions next year or in the summer...I still don't think the Preds move Weber during the season).
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Why was my post deleted? It was very witty and insightful. Can someone please explain?

Thank You in advance
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote:
Fred wrote: Think of ways to eliminate Chara :D
Hmmm...

Hard to get to his head cuz it's waaay the fuck up there.

Can't run him from behind into the boards because he's too damn careful.

Slashes don't seem to affect him cuz I think he's he's some kind of alien robot from the future.

Can't concusss him straight up with a giant superfighter cuz he's too damn tough.
Don't forget, can't get him suspended even when he runs a guy's head into a stanchion.

I agree that Chara stirs the drink in Boston. The problem is, he's literally indestructible. How he doesn't have terrible knees like most tallies, or groin problems, or a weak heart from pumping blood all the way up to his head, is beyond me.

He is a goddam freak. And being a freak, that makes him one-of-a-kind in the hockey world, so there's no point trying to match him or take him out with a 6'0 tough guy.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ESQ wrote: I agree that Chara stirs the drink in Boston. The problem is, he's literally indestructible. How he doesn't have terrible knees like most tallies, or groin problems, or a weak heart from pumping blood all the way up to his head, is beyond me.

He is a goddam freak. And being a freak, that makes him one-of-a-kind in the hockey world, so there's no point trying to match him or take him out with a 6'0 tough guy.
You beat Chara with speed. Even witout Chara, we don't have the ability to battle the Bruins physically. We're the faster, more skilled team. That being said, every chance you get, you run into him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N_cjCfPPb8

I'm sure a guy like Duco, Weise or AV would gladly dive into his knees for the chance at a ring 8-)
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Oh there are goons out there that can match Chara, the question is do you want to go that far
cheers
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Fred wrote:Oh there are goons out there that can match Chara, the question is do you want to go that far
Well the reality is Chara will see right through the attempt to goad him into a trip to the box. He'll laugh at your goon, skate away and that will be that. My gut feeling is that a healthy Canucks roster will see Chara take penalties when guys like Raymond and Booth speed around him and he's forced to take them down.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Vancouver Canucks are getting significant offers for Cory Schneider. - Bob McKenzie.
The Market for Schneider might never be better.

There are quite of few teams looking for a long term solution in net, Ottawa, Toronto, NJ, Islanders, Tampa, CJB.

I don't think trading Schneider this year was part of the plan but if Gillis can package up Schneider and Ballard, then bring back a young top 4 defenseman, a solid back up, and a gritty veteran forward, you would have to be tempted.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Potatoe1 wrote:
Vancouver Canucks are getting significant offers for Cory Schneider. - Bob McKenzie.
The Market for Schneider might never be better.

There are quite of few teams looking for a long term solution in net, Ottawa, Toronto, NJ, Islanders, Tampa, CJB.

I don't think trading Schneider this year was part of the plan but if Gillis can package up Schneider and Ballard, then bring back a young top 4 defenseman, a solid back up, and a gritty veteran forward, you would have to be tempted.

Not sure what's out there in terms of what we need or how we go about it. Travis Hamonic? A bigger deal with Washington for Alzner or Carlson?

I still like our chances better in the offseason. We could get more teams into the mix as teams rebuild/re-tool.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Fred wrote:Oh there are goons out there that can match Chara, the question is do you want to go that far
Well the reality is Chara will see right through the attempt to goad him into a trip to the box. He'll laugh at your goon, skate away and that will be that. My gut feeling is that a healthy Canucks roster will see Chara take penalties when guys like Raymond and Booth speed around him and he's forced to take them down.
You go after another player and force Chara to either step up of see his team mate pummelled, this is not rocket science
cheers
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Fred wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
You go after another player and force Chara to either step up of see his team mate pummelled, this is not rocket science
It is when Chara fights your goon to a stand-still, and then you get to watch Lucic knuckle onto a Sedin and beat the Ikea out of him, or force a guy like Bieksa to eat his own teeth. And then McQuaid grabs Raymond and on we go...

One goon isn't going to do fuck all for us. We do need to get bigger and more physical, but we're not going to be able to play punch-face with Boston.