Trade Deadline Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Fred »

Bitz sent back to Chicago ?...so it's not his injury maybe they need space to bring in some one else...I guess Pahhlsson
cheers
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

dhabums wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:well, for all the people who wanted to sell the furture for right now, you kinda got your wish.

We shipped out Coho, Erixon, Ellington and two 4ths for right now.

The farm really only has Schroeder and Connauton left.
Holy crap, I am going to need to dump my Ellington and Erixon Canucks jerseys in ebay quickly. I really wanted to be the first to wear them when those 2 were in the NHL.
LQL

If Ellington and Erixon were part of our future, maybe its best we find a new path.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

dhabums wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:well, for all the people who wanted to sell the furture for right now, you kinda got your wish.

Holy crap, I am going to need to dump my Ellington and Erixon Canucks jerseys in ebay quickly. I really wanted to be the first to wear them when those 2 were in the NHL.
:rockin:
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

dhabums wrote:

Hahaha - nice.

I'll give you Ellington (33rd overall in 2007) and Erixon (FA), but as for the 4th round picks, the Canucks picked up promising prospects there over the last few drafts:

Patrick McNally 115th in 2010
Joseph Labate 101st in 2011

But 4th rounders are long shots, and I'm pretty sure Pahlsson will provide what Malhotra was supposed to.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I think Vcrs depth right now after Schroeder, Rodin, Polasek, Lack and Connauton is yet to hit the AHL. Players like McNally, Price, Labate, Jensen, Grenier, Cannata, Corrado I'm thinking we'll get some thing out of that bunch :)
cheers
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

And Kassian and Gragnani are kids too so what the hell are you prattling on about ?

Kassian is younger than Hodgson .........

Ellington has as much chance of cracking the big leagues as Prab Rai and Vancouver had an extra 4th rounder from the Ehrhoff deal. Erixon would likely have never played here. The way you make it sound is that Gillis gutted the youth on the team .
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

In before the incoherent RD rant on the trades.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Kassian is younger than Hodgson .........you do realize that don't you ?
When you read the comments I honestly don't think people do realize that. They are talking about Kassian as if he's been bouncing around the AHL for 4 or 5 years unable to crack an NHL lineup.

He just turned 21 last month. He is in his first pro year and put up near PPG and 40 goal pace in 30 games in the AHL. He's had a 27 game audition at various times in the NHL this season and in a limited role and under 12 minutes of icetime is scoring at a 21 point pace which is pretty damn good. A pace that far exceeds the likes of Weise, Volpatti, Oreo etc etc etc. He is a hell of a prospect that likely can contribute now.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Kassian was drafted the year after Hodgson, no?
nyintensity
CC Veteran

Post by nyintensity »

tantalum wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Kassian is younger than Hodgson .........you do realize that don't you ?
When you read the comments I honestly don't think people do realize that. They are talking about Kassian as if he's been bouncing around the AHL for 4 or 5 years unable to crack an NHL lineup.

He just turned 21 last month. He is in his first pro year and put up near PPG and 40 goal pace in 30 games in the AHL. He's had a 27 game audition at various times in the NHL this season and in a limited role and under 12 minutes of icetime is scoring at a 21 point pace which is pretty damn good. A pace that far exceeds the likes of Weise, Volpatti, Oreo etc etc etc. He is a hell of a prospect that likely can contribute now.
You can't put too much weight on how Buffalo's AHL players do - they're perennially good. Kassian's had difficulties adjusting to the NHL game, but he does well on a 3rd or 4th line. He'll grow into a 2nd liner, but he's limited right now. A big reason he's had any ice time in the NHL is because of how hurt Buffalo has been this season (at one point we had 9 players out of or regular lineup).

Not to say he's not going to be good, I just don't want you to think that he's going to come in and make a huge difference right away.

Marc-Andre Gragnani, on the other hand, is going to drive you nuts. He will look amazing one day, and make blind (like, channeling his inner Helen Keller) passes that make you wonder if he ever looks up. He is young though, and perhaps a change of scenery is exactly what he needed.
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

As someone before mentioned, Gragnani played for Vigneault in junior. We know how AV likes to coach his ex-players. Lapierre comes to mind as a successful convert to our system.

The other thing of note is Kassian's contract -- 2 more years at $870k. Half of CoHo's salary with an extra year on the deal.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

nyintensity wrote: You can't put too much weight on how Buffalo's AHL players do - they're perennially good. Kassian's had difficulties adjusting to the NHL game, but he does well on a 3rd or 4th line. He'll grow into a 2nd liner, but he's limited right now. A big reason he's had any ice time in the NHL is because of how hurt Buffalo has been this season (at one point we had 9 players out of or regular lineup).
Injuries is how every young player who starts in the AHL gets a call up. I don't expect him to be a second line player this year and I fully expect a young player to have trouble adjusting to the NHL. Hodgson, while having a good season has had all sorts of growing pains. So many that numerous people who are pissed at this deal wanted him in the minors 30 games ago. They are both young players trying to establish themselves in the NHL.
Not to say he's not going to be good, I just don't want you to think that he's going to come in and make a huge difference right away.
I don't think anyone expects that. I expect he will be on the 4th line and if he's having a good game he may get shuffled around a bit. It's what AV does.
Marc-Andre Gragnani, on the other hand, is going to drive you nuts. He will look amazing one day, and make blind (like, channeling his inner Helen Keller) passes that make you wonder if he ever looks up. He is young though, and perhaps a change of scenery is exactly what he needed.
He is young and you have to wonder how much of his trouble is him or the team. If the Sabres don't have forwards coming back and providing the D-men with targets for the outlet pass a D--man can turn it over pretty darn quick and leave you shaking your head. I imagine he'll be insulated in Vancouver and who knows with some different coaching he might begin to thrive. As much as Sabre fans go on about him I expected his advanced stats to be terrible. They aren't. They are quite good. The canucks needed some blueline depth and very few D-men moved today that could provide it for a decent cap hit.
nyintensity
CC Veteran

Post by nyintensity »

You make very good, very valid points. I hope that you're spot on with all of them, and that both our teams are better because of these trades. :)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Great pick up by the leaves in getting Carter Ashton, shi-ite I was hoping to get him in some sort of Schneider deal.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

RoyalDude wrote:Great pick up by the leaves in getting Carter Ashton, shi-ite I was hoping to get him in some sort of Schneider deal.
It was a good pickup for Burke but he sent up the white flag on his playoff hopes IMO if his goaltending doesn't make a drastic turn for the better.

Aulie played for Boucher as part of team canada and Boucher likes the kid. He's a big kid but has been slow in developing. Still only 22 year old though or something. A little surprised Yzerman moved Ashton but he clearly has his forward ranks set in his mind for the next few years. Looks less likely that Connolly will be moved now though.