Trade Deadline Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by BladesofSteel »

The 2011/2012 NHL Trade Deadline is on February 27th, 12PM PST.

Seeing as there is more and more discussion about what Vancouver needs to acquire, and even the odd rumours floating around, I figured it might be time to get the ball rollin'. Even if it is a little early. :P

Just a few names I wouldn't mind coming this way:
(In no particular order)
4th line:
Moen
T. Jackman
Boll
C. Adams
Asham
Konopka
Neil

Blueline:
Weber (duh)
Gleason

Long shots:
Iginla
Doan
Malone
Brouwer
Ladd
Perry

Can we see a common theme here?
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Soapy »

UFA's at the end of this year:

Parros
Janssen
Cody McLeod
Tootoo
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Soapy wrote:UFA's at the end of this year:
Parros
Janssen
Cody McLeod
Tootoo
I hate Tootoo but would gladly take him on this team short term. He's the best player of that bunch.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

BladesofSteel wrote:The 2011/2012 NHL Trade Deadline is on February 27th, 12PM PST.

Seeing as there is more and more discussion about what Vancouver needs to acquire, and even the odd rumours floating around, I figured it might be time to get the ball rollin'. Even if it is a little early. :P

Just a few names I wouldn't mind coming this way:
(In no particular order)
4th line:
Moen, $1.5m UFA
T. Jackman
Boll, $0.725m RFA
C. Adams
Asham
Konopka
Neil

Blueline:
Weber (duh)
Gleason, $2.75m UFA

Long shots:
Iginla
Doan
Malone
Brouwer
Ladd
Perry

Can we see a common theme here?
The Canucks have a good chance of landing the above three players, except Moen (if the Habs are still trying to make the playoffs by the deadline). The three would be upgrades for the bottom-6 and the defense.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Moen and Jackman would be worthy additions from the "reasonably acquirable" list. I don't see a guy like Asham being on that list myself, but I'd take him too.

I have a feeling there will be a crazy bidding war for Gleason. He's interesting, to be sure, but may be hard to acquire.

Aucoin out of Phoenix as a reasonable target?
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

wienerdog wrote:Moen and Jackman would be worthy additions from the "reasonably acquirable" list. I don't see a guy like Asham being on that list myself, but I'd take him too.

I have a feeling there will be a crazy bidding war for Gleason. He's interesting, to be sure, but may be hard to acquire.

Aucoin out of Phoenix as a reasonable target?
I think Gleason will bring back a pretty significant return for Carolina. Aucoin, Morris and Sarich I was debating adding to my list as well, each providing experience to the right side as well as some size.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

A young, right defenseman who has already had some NHL success would be a fine addition. Someone to improve future & present team balance.

Example: Travis Hamonic; defenseman; shoots right; 20; 6-2; 215; ATOI 22:18; -5 in 40GP with the Islanders this year; 875k cap. At 20, he hasn’t finished filling out yet.

From what I have seen/read: his skating is average (for NHL); while he is above average defensively & offensively. He’s no enforcer, but has sand.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Just five teams in the league ten or more points out of a playoff spot right now and you can cross one (Edmonton) off the list as a potential trade partner.

The rest are: Columbus, Anaheim, Carolina, New York Islanders.

I think Gleason is going to be the center of a bidding war, but of that group there are not too many other effective defensemen likely to be available.

(edit: I'd love to get Hamonic on this team but the Islanders have had a laughably poor blueline for years - why on earth would they deal a young and improving defenseman, locked up on a cheap deal?)

Of the ones who are it's guys like Toni Lydman, Mark Eaton.. dependable players who can play reasonable minutes without looking bad, but no snarl to speak of.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Brendan Morrow
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

dbr wrote: I'd love to get Hamonic on this team but the Islanders have had a laughably poor blueline for years - why on earth would they deal a young and improving defenseman, locked up on a cheap deal?
Teams don’t deal without getting something they want in return. A GM might want a flashy player to distract local media and fans. Stranger things have happened to the Islanders.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

The cheapest way to add toughness is to pick up a bottom6 forward that can take a regular shift.

There is a large group of NHL players that fall into that category, so you typically don't have to pay an inflated price.

Adding a top6 forward or solid defenseman whom is also tough is incredibly expensive and not particularly necessary.

As far as a defenseman go, the name that popped up is Toni Lydman.

Not particularly physical, but a solid vet that can eat minutes, and perhaps someone AV will have a little more confidence in then Keith Ballard.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

These threads are fun, but it seems like Gillis always surprises us at the deadline. I don't think that anyone say Lappy and Higgins coming here last year.

I'm guessing that once again, he'll pull another rabbit out his hat and find us some help.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Cornuck wrote:These threads are fun, but it seems like Gillis always surprises us at the deadline. I don't think that anyone say Lappy and Higgins coming here last year.

I'm guessing that once again, he'll pull another rabbit out his hat and find us some help.
MG likes to buy low. Both Lappy and Higgins were having problems with their careers before trading to the Canucks. I would assume that MG would do something similar this year.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

If this roster is going to change before the play-offs me think's it will have to be via trade. Gilman might be a genius but i don't see him producing adequate space to acquire a top 6 forward or a top 4 D without clearing space first and fore most. For instance the Bruins have $3+ million plus available, Philly have $4.6 The Rangers...the RANGERS have $5.5

Gentlemen what you see is what you get, MG has shot his bolt with Booth. If there's any religous folks out there now is the time to speak to your God (s) :D
cheers
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Fred wrote:If this roster is going to change before the play-offs me think's it will have to be via trade. Gilman might be a genius but i don't see him producing adequate space to acquire a top 6 forward or a top 4 D without clearing space first and fore most. For instance the Bruins have $3+ million plus available, Philly have $4.6 The Rangers...the RANGERS have $5.5

Gentlemen what you see is what you get, MG has shot his bolt with Booth. If there's any religous folks out there now is the time to speak to your God (s) :D
Its kinda difficult to sign a free agent or draft a player before the play-offs so I guess it'll have to a trade :mex: nyuk nyuk