Trade Deadline Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

zephyr
AHL Prospect

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by zephyr »

Agreed. And he is now making $0.525M and STILL only 26 years old. It's also just a one year contract, so if he has indeed regressed THAT much, we can let him go in the offseason.

I'd like to see him here, but you would think Gillis would have signed him earlier when he was free on the street if there was any interest.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

zephyr wrote:Agreed. And he is now making $0.525M and STILL only 26 years old. It's also just a one year contract, so if he has indeed regressed THAT much, we can let him go in the offseason.

I'd like to see him here, but you would think Gillis would have signed him earlier when he was free on the street if there was any interest.
Perhaps Gillis was looking for better options during the offseason and would not want to commit to Bernier.

Is Weise a better option than Moen or Bernier?

Moen, 32 y.o. $1.5m, has 52g 55a -61 in 568gp (0.18 ppg)
Bernier, 26 y.o. $0.525m, has 76g 83a -3 in 386gp (0.41 ppg)
Weise, 23 y.o. $0.605m, has 3g 3a -2 in 60gp (0.10 ppg)

Moen has size, grit, and cup experience but would cost a bit to acquire.
Bernier has size, scoring ability (only if he can regain his confidence) and is familiar with the AV's system.
Weise is young and improving. He is willing to drop the gloves for the team even though he is not very good at it.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Bernier is not in the NHL............because....he doesn't have NHL speed. A fore checker without speed is not what we need IMO. We need some one that can get in quick on the opposition defense and force them to make the play they don't want to make.
cheers
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Fred wrote:Bernier is not in the NHL............because....he doesn't have NHL speed. A fore checker without speed is not what we need IMO. We need some one that can get in quick on the opposition defense and force them to make the play they don't want to make.
Bernier is not slow but he does not have the speed to be the best forechecker, similar to Pyatt. However, I just want to point out that he can bring in some scoring ability that both Moen and Weise lack.
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

Please tell me that people are being sarcastic when considering Bernier. The guy was a total bust in this system a few years ago. He has hands of stone and can't skate in the new NHL. He's also just another "big guy" who won't use his size effectively.....much like Taylor Pyatt.
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
coco_canuck wrote: Like dbr points out, Schneider is getting big game starts, more starts than last year and if he gets a few games in the playoffs and the Canucks win, he may not want to move if he's assured he will get about 30 starts a year and a few in playoffs with a chance of taking over the top job in Luongo struggles.

I think the Canucks are doing everything they can to keep Schneider motivated and happy in a back-up role, and it may end up paying off in the end.
The guy wants to be a starter. No professional hockey player with his talent and age wants to play second fiddle. He might not demand a trade, and he might stick around, but there's no way he's "happy" being Luongo's backup.

That said, the guy has probably learned a ton from Luongo, and if the Canucks offer him a two year $5M deal he might take it. I can't see a situation where he holds out (at least publicly). I'm not totally certain, but he can become a UFA at age 27. So if the Canucks agree to pay him market value ($2.5M) he can walk away and cash in at the end of that deal.

Gillis will certainly listen to any offers presented. But I don't think he's in any rush to move CS. But I do get the feeling someone will overpay for him, especially if we win the "big one".
If the Canucks can afford it, and Schneider is OK with it, having him back here at $2.5M for 2 more seasons would be great. It would put Vancouver in a much better position to move forward when considering their goaltending options as Luongo turns 35. If the team can pull in a Cup during that time it would probably mean that Luongo might be more willing to waive his NTC/NMC after getting a ring if it meant going back east and closer to his wife's family. His salary and contract term will have reduced enough to make other teams consider taking him on, and at that age he should still be good enough for another year or so to put a team just over the top as far as competing goes. Vancouver can then offer Schneider a starting role and salary that goes along with it.

I really like this team with Luongo when he's on his game. But even then, when it comes to a clutch game against certain teams I just don't have the peace of mind with him in net, and I don't know that the team does either. That, coupled with his cap hit over the next 7 years, makes me want to move him before he is in serious decline and is just wasting cap space.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Meds wrote:Please tell me that people are being sarcastic when considering Bernier. The guy was a total bust in this system a few years ago. He has hands of stone and can't skate in the new NHL. He's also just another "big guy" who won't use his size effectively.....much like Taylor Pyatt.
For the two seasons that Bernier played for the Canucks:

08/09 81GP 15g 17a +4
09/10 59GP 11g 11a 0

Bernier did not worth his $2.5m contract when he was here. However, his current contract is only $0.525m. Can he be any worse than Tanner Glass in terms of being hands of stone?? Like I said, I am not sure Bernier will be a physical upgrade over Weise on the fourth line.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Jovocop wrote:
zephyr wrote:What ever happened to Steve Bernier after leaving here? I was one of the few defenders of his play. When you get past what we gave up (2nd/3rd), and the expectations for him becoming a top 6 power forward, he was a decent bottom 6 guy. Worked hard defensively, hit, and stuck up for teammates.

When he left here, he wasn't that top 6 guy we were looking for, but he was still most certainly an NHL calibre talent. Since leaving, he's been a fringe NHLer and now makes the minimum with the Devils. If we could get him for AHL fodder, I would like to see him replace Weise on the 4th line. I remember him laying some big hits during the playoffs when he was amped with energy.

Forget about his hands of stone. I am asking as a 4th line winger. Anybody interested?
Definitely, I have been saying that for a long time. Bernier is not a top six on this team but he is definitely a servicable 3rd or 4th line player. His only problem being a Canucks was his contract.
Count me in on the Steve Bernier camp. During his Canuck career, the guy was a square peg in a round hole. He's a career 3rd/4th liner that oversold himself during salary negotiations. Toward the end of his Canuck career, he was actually quite effective down low and did a good job using his size to keep the puck in.

Couldn't score worth a damn but he DID work pretty hard.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Meds wrote: If the Canucks can afford it, and Schneider is OK with it, having him back here at $2.5M for 2 more seasons would be great. It would put Vancouver in a much better position to move forward when considering their goaltending options as Luongo turns 35. If the team can pull in a Cup during that time it would probably mean that Luongo might be more willing to waive his NTC/NMC after getting a ring if it meant going back east and closer to his wife's family. His salary and contract term will have reduced enough to make other teams consider taking him on, and at that age he should still be good enough for another year or so to put a team just over the top as far as competing goes. Vancouver can then offer Schneider a starting role and salary that goes along with it.

I really like this team with Luongo when he's on his game. But even then, when it comes to a clutch game against certain teams I just don't have the peace of mind with him in net, and I don't know that the team does either. That, coupled with his cap hit over the next 7 years, makes me want to move him before he is in serious decline and is just wasting cap space.
Agree with everything here Meds. But I think Schneider will wait to sign with us until he sees what offer sheets come his way. This could be very tricky for Gillis, because if he matches any offer (which he should), he then can't trade Schneider. A team like San Jose could really screw us if they gave Schneider a $4.7M deal and only owe us a first and a third.

Either way, Gillis is going to have some hard thinking to do. You don't dump a Cup winning goalie, so if (when ;) ) we win this year, whoever backstops us will stay. That probably means Luongo. I still think it's 90% certain that Gillis will work a sign and trade type scenario (with CS' consent of course). Having him under contract before July 1 makes him much more valuable as a trade chip.

I'm not opposed to him staying at $2.5M. But it would be awesome for Gillis to score us a 2013 RFA like Ekman-Larsson, Alzner or Fowler 8-)
zephyr
AHL Prospect

Post by zephyr »

Meds wrote:Please tell me that people are being sarcastic when considering Bernier. The guy was a total bust in this system a few years ago. He has hands of stone and can't skate in the new NHL. He's also just another "big guy" who won't use his size effectively.....much like Taylor Pyatt.
"A bust in the system" is true only if you mean he didn't turn into the 30 goal, top 6 winger we wanted. I am saying (for the 2nd time), forget what we gave up, the lofty expectations, and his salary, and ask yourself if the player we traded away could be an effective 4th liner on today's team. I think the answer to that is yes.

He was considerably more physical than Pyatt, and had hands of gold compared to some 4th line plugs in the league. If we can get that same version of Bernier that we traded away, and not some regressed version, I want him back.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Plan C:

To Phoenix - Raymond, Schroeder (Phoenix needs low-salary youngish quality forwards)
To Vancouver - Doan, Aucoin (impending UFAs)

To Montreal - 2nd round pick 2011
To Vancouver - Moen (impending UFA)

To random NHL team - Ballard
To Vancouver - 4th round pick 2011

Dank - Hank - Bank
Booth - Kess - Doan
Higgs - Hods - Hans
Manny - Lappy - Moeny
Weise

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Aucoin
Rome - Salo
Alberts - Tanev
Sulzer

- win Stanley Cup
- re-sign Doan & Moen
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jovocop wrote: Bernier, 26 y.o. $0.525m, has 76g 83a -3 in 386gp (0.41 ppg)
Bernier has size, scoring ability (only if he can regain his confidence) and is familiar with the AV's system.
Holy shit, is Jovocop huffing scotch guard out of ziplock baggy? I nearly spat out my dinner reading this. It's such a bad job at armchair GM'ing I can't even laugh about it. Bernier? Please tell me you are kidding.
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hmm thought I should move my RH dee list from the Tanev thread over here:
Strangelove Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:42 pm wrote:Alright, here's some beastly-to-varying-degrees RS dee:

Subban
Robidas
Weber
Schenn
Byfuglien
Bogosian
Gleason
Klesla
Sarich (that's right)
Kubina
Souray (you heard me)
Aucoin

Pitkanen
Seabrook
Alzner
Michalek
Seidenberg
Burns
Hedman
Myers
Matt Greene
Volchenkov
Girardi
Polak
Sbisa

Obviously some of these would cost a fortune, others not. A few are not RH shots, but i THINK all the above are comfortable on the right side. If I'm wrong about one or two I'm sure y'all will let me know. :D

We need another Top 4 RS dee (or one who can at least step into the Top 4) going into the playoffs. We all saw what happens when Sami goes down. And yes I know some of these guys (Seabrook lol) are likely not available at ANY price.

Now most of you probably dread the thought of Canucks acquiring some of the above. But surely everyone can see at least a few they would like in a Canuck jersey at a fair-and-reasonable deadline price.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Strangelove wrote:
Subban
Robidas
Weber
Schenn
Byfuglien
Bogosian
Gleason
Klesla
Sarich (that's right)
Kubina
Souray (you heard me)
Aucoin

Pitkanen
Seabrook
Alzner
Michalek
Seidenberg
Burns
Hedman
Myers
Matt Greene
Volchenkov
Girardi
Polak
Sbisa
Gleason was just re-upped, so I'd assume he's off that list.

Many others - like Seabrook, Pitkanen, Seidenberg and Burns for a few examples - are safe to categorize as 0% guys.

Taking into account the weird rumors lately, I'd drool over getting Subban.
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Who couldn't get excited about Tyler Myers or Vic Hedman? Those 2 would be my fantasy picks from your list Strangler
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...