Farhan's $0.02: Has the time come to shop Hodgson/Schneider?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Farhan's $0.02: Has the time come to shop Hodgson/Schnei

Post by Madcombinepilot » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:13 pm

I wouldn't look at moving either guy.

Hodgeson has all the makings of a player we want on this team for the next 10 years. He thinks the game at a high level, and can play at both ends of the ice. having him at that 3rd line center option just makes this team better. When I look at what this team wilkl be like in 5 years, I want him on it.

Schnieds is the man. There are no teams that can afford what he has. in order for us to trade him, we are looking for a guy that comes back and plays top 6 forward minutes, or a top 4 defender. and that guy has to make less than 2 million bucks.
Is there anyone out there that we want who makes less than 2 million? yes, but would we give up schnieder for that player? nope.

packaging them both up, who out there makes 3.5 or less that is worth a Hodgeson AND Schnieds???

thats an easy answer.

nobody.

all this thread does is devalue good players we have on our team right now.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Waffle
CC Veteran

Post by Waffle » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:22 am

http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/slasher98/41485/

Top 25 NHL defensive defensemen so far in 2011-12 (Dec 12/11)

I see Josh Georges is number 3 on this list. I am not sure if there is anyone else on this list that might be available, and that would fit with the team.

Waffle
CC Veteran

Post by Waffle » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:39 am

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/sports/ ... w-20111208

In an article entitled, “Blackhawks Need To Look For Help Now” by Al Cimaglia (Dec 8/11), there are some interesting comments. One theme had to do with playing a “gritty” style of game versus a “run and gun” kind of game.

The second theme had to do with his feeling that Chicago needs to add some depth on their defence, and he lists some defencemen who might be available and who would be an upgrade for them.

Looking at this list gives an idea of what the Canucks are up against in trying to add depth to their defence.

“Here are some defensemen who Bowman could be interested in as a rent-a-player option to help out this season. All are scheduled to be unrestricted free agents this summer. This list is not based on trade rumors which I have heard. It is composed of teams which are already out of the playoff hunt, and or have indicated they will be making changes.

Calgary-Cory Sarich
Sarich has a $3.6 million salary cap hit. He is a veteran defender who at 6’4” would add some size to the Hawks blueline. Sarich appears to be on his way out of Calgary and Bowman shouldn’t have to overpay. He has been a healthy scratch on a number of occasions, playing in only 15 games this season. There was a rumor floating around Sarich has asked for a trade. He was a solid defenseman and might prosper on a new club.

Colorado-Shane O’Brien
I know some Hawk fans will wince at this one but O’Brien may have matured a bit. His hockey IQ appears improved and he is having a decent season. O’Brien is only a $1.1 million cap hit. He could be a physical presence the Hawks would be looking to add. O’Brien might not be a bad addition along with one of the others. He may be able to play on the penalty kill as well. O’Brien has been playing close to 20 minutes per game. Maybe the struggling Avalanche will be looking to trim salary soon.

Anaheim-Francois Beauchemin
Beauchemin is my first choice on the list and has a $3.8 million cap hit. Beauchemin can play with an edge and can skate. He would be a nice addition who could play a more up-tempo game. Beauchemin plays big minutes for the Ducks and is a responsible defenseman.

Carolina-Bryan Allen
Carolina should be about ready to surrender. Allen is a big guy at 6’5” tall and around 225lbs. Allen has a $2.9 million cap hit and the Canes could be looking to dump salary.

Carolina-Tim Gleason
Gleason is another Hurricane upcoming UFA defenseman. He shoots left and the stocky defender is 28-years-old with a cap hit of $2.75 million. As with Allen, the Canes could be motivated to make a deal.

Long Island-Milan Jurcina
Jurcina is 6’4” tall and weighs around 250 pounds. He has had groin issues and could be available if the Islanders are looking to shed some salary. His cap hit is only $1.6 million, but Jurcina doesn’t have as strong of a resume as the others.

Long Island-Steve Staios
Staios is 38-years-old but still logs close to 20 minutes per game. The veteran carries a $1.6 million salary cap hit and Bowman could consider him as a depth acquisition. Staios would be an improvement over Sean O’Donnell.

There probably are others available but there isn’t a great deal of options. Bowman will have to pay up now or take a chance the Hawks will be able to shore up their defensive liabilities with the current cast. I’m not confident that will happen.”

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:23 am

Waffle wrote:http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/sports/ ... w-20111208

In an article entitled, “Blackhawks Need To Look For Help Now” by Al Cimaglia (Dec 8/11), there are some interesting comments. One theme had to do with playing a “gritty” style of game versus a “run and gun” kind of game.

The second theme had to do with his feeling that Chicago needs to add some depth on their defence, and he lists some defencemen who might be available and who would be an upgrade for them.

Looking at this list gives an idea of what the Canucks are up against in trying to add depth to their defence.

“Here are some defensemen who Bowman could be interested in as a rent-a-player option to help out this season. All are scheduled to be unrestricted free agents this summer. This list is not based on trade rumors which I have heard. It is composed of teams which are already out of the playoff hunt, and or have indicated they will be making changes.

Colorado-Shane O’Brien
I know some Hawk fans will wince at this one but O’Brien may have matured a bit. His hockey IQ appears improved and he is having a decent season. O’Brien is only a $1.1 million cap hit. He could be a physical presence the Hawks would be looking to add. O’Brien might not be a bad addition along with one of the others. He may be able to play on the penalty kill as well. O’Brien has been playing close to 20 minutes per game. Maybe the struggling Avalanche will be looking to trim salary soon.
The guy makes some OK points, but he lost all credibility when he suggests O'Brien and then says that Colorado might be willing to give up a gritty, tough blueliner who is currently playing 20 minutes per game and is only a -2 on a team that boasts a -13 goal differential and can only claim to have 6 players who are not a negative +/-, and only 2 of them are more than a +1.....oh and all this to trim his $1.1M salary.

Oh, and I almost forgot.....Colorado currently has $13+M of spendable cap space, only Nashville and New York (Islanders) have more cap room than the Avalanche.

Asshat. :mex:

Puck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Puck » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:08 am

wouldn't mind getting Bryan Allen back...

The Brown Wizard
CC Legend

Post by The Brown Wizard » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:28 pm

I'd go for Beauchemin first on that list. Is he still effective though is my first question
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:36 am

Puck wrote:wouldn't mind getting Bryan Allen back...

why??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.