Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Postby BurningBeard » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:25 pm

ESQ wrote:
Betamax wrote:Don Taylor & Craig MacEwen have been released by Sportsnet. Taylor is on the air until Friday and then he'll be full-time with his radio hosting duties on TEAM Radio.

This makes me very sad - I always thought that Taylor was one of the best highlights guys in the business - his humour was perfectly suited to rifling off a series of 5-second jokes without having to give any analysis at all.

This makes me sad too. I guess I'm biased though. I met Don Taylor personally a many years back. He invited me to be in studio for a live broadcast of Sportsnet Connected. One of the nicest guys I've met, and just completely down to earth and honest. Told me that most of the off screen production staff were brought over from Sports Page. He also pretty much said straight up that head office (out East) doesn't know its head from its ass. He was completely up front about it and pulled no punches. :lol:

In that regard, this consolidation out East is not good. We bitch and moan about CBC, just wait until the exclusive NHL rights holder, and owners of the Toronto Maple Leafs start providing coverage. This is a horrible indicator of the direction they're headed in.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
BurningBeard
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby ClamRussel » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:21 pm

Maybe we can go back to the days of having a dozen or so games on BCTV/Check.
Anyone remember Bernie Pascall w/ Howie? ...then Houlihan & Monahan at intermission.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Postby SKYO » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:53 am

Fuck sportsnet, I'm gettin' bootleg streams from them now. lol

Bring back sportspage, as I only watched the sportsnet pacific channel for the Canucks first talk.
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:53 am

SKYO wrote:Fuck sportsnet, I'm gettin' bootleg streams from them now. lol

Bring back sportspage, as I only watched the sportsnet pacific channel for the Canucks first talk.

I wonder who will do SN Pacific in place of Taylor? Maybe someone good!!
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Reefer2 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:32 am

Hockey Widow wrote:

I think they drop all the regions and just go with the Toronto group.
Reefer2
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:24 am

About fucking time Taylor got clipped . The SN highlights might actually be watchable for once .
Tell me how my ass tastes.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby Betamax » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:17 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

I think they drop all the regions and just go with the Toronto group.

via: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/08/06 ... acewen-go/

Sportsnet pulls back its Vancouver operation, as it lets Taylor, MacEwen go
August 6, 2014. 12:30 pm
Posted by: Patrick Johnston

Here is Sportsnet's reply to The Province on the departures:

UPDATE:

Sportsnet’s Jennifer Neziol answered a query from Province Sports about the departure of Taylor and MacEwen and the future of fellow Pacific anchors James Cybulski, Caroline Cameron as well as Canucks studio analyst Garry Valk:

I can confirm that Craig MacEwen is no longer with the company, and that Don Taylor will be leaving the company on Friday, Aug. 8 to focus 100% of his energy on radio. Don has been crucial in establishing the Sportsnet brand in BC, and we wish both him and Craig all of the best.

Sportsnet is the proud home of the Vancouver Canucks, and continues to have the largest sports media presence in Vancouver. We will also continue to report on Vancouver sports as an integral part of our news programming.

James Cybulski and Caroline Cameron will continue to host Connected from Vancouver; in terms of NHL, we’ll be announcing our full broadcast team closer to the start of the season.

So, when Taylor talked about being phased out for the last couple of years on TEAM Radio, I guess he could see into the future. Image
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby SKYO » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:03 pm

Cybulski sucks
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:45 pm

Announce the broadcast team?? Does this mean John and John or John or John are on the way out? I would think Shorty should be a lock and find it curious they wouldn't just say so.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby BurningBeard » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:23 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:I wonder who will do SN Pacific in place of Taylor? Maybe someone good!!

No, they fired Valk too. :(
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
BurningBeard
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Betamax » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:19 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Announce the broadcast team?? Does this mean John and John or John or John are on the way out? I would think Shorty should be a lock and find it curious they wouldn't just say so.

I wonder if Shorty will have to pick and choose between doing tv only or will he still be able to do both tv and radio. Since Sportsnet is a Rogers property and TEAM radio is Bell owned and although they co-operated on the MLSE sale, they are still heated rivals and I'm sure Bell wasn't too happy to lose all national rights to NHL hockey to them. 8-)
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby okcanuck » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:48 pm

SKYO wrote:Cybulski sucks

Totally agree. He's a phoney,non-funny,and inept broadcaster.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Mondi » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:13 am

I don't think Valk has been fired, not according to his twitter account.
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Uncle dans leg » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:53 am

I will always have a soft spot for Donny Taylor and the rest of the old channel 13 sports page guys...they remind me of the 94 run and that will always be the glory days of canuck fanhood for me (unless they finally win it all....which seems less likely every year...unfortunately)
I haven't had as much exposure to his shtick as you guys I suppose since I haven't lived in BC much of the past 10 years but he's always come across to me as a die hard fan first and media dude second....
nobody forks with...the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Betamax » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:34 am

via: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Spor ... story.html

Dr. Sport: Don Taylor, Craig MacEwen out as Sportsnet moves away from Vancouver
By Greg Douglas, Special to the Vancouver Sun August 8, 2014

Greg Douglas with a little behind the scenes look on how Taylor and MacEwen were let go ............

SCENE & HEARD: It turns out that both Don Taylor and Craig MacEwen were given their termination notices by the Rogers Sportsnet Toronto brass on the same day: Thursday, July 31. They were summoned to the network's Vancouver office for meetings 30 minutes apart with Sportsnet president Scott Moore and Rob Corte, vice president, Live Events and News Production.

Word on MacEwen, Sportnet's Pacific Bureau Chief, initially leaked out in this space on Aug. 2. Taylor needed time to negotiate an extension of his radio contract with Team 1040 and once that was done, he announced himself on Twitter this past Wednesday that his 13-year run with Sportsnet was over.

"I'm not giving anybody lip service or dodging any issues when I say this will be the first time in 30 years that I won't be working a night shift and I'm looking forward to it," Taylor reiterated Friday. "I've got a wife (Lisa) and three young kids. I can honestly say this is a good thing. I'm not mad at anybody."

Taylor, 54, spent 16 years on the air with locally-produced Sports Page prior to joining Sportsnet. Now, after an extended summer holiday with his family in Osoyoos, he will return to Team 1040 with afternoon co-host Barry Macdonald on Sept. 8. The fact Sportsnet rival TSN has a partnership position with Bell Media, owners of Team Radio, leads to obvious speculation that Taylor will eventually return to the television airwaves with TSN on CTV locally. Referring to it as a "possibility", Taylor makes it clear that being tied down to late night sportscasts would not be part of the package.

HERE 'N' THERE: The winding down of Rogers Sportsnet in Vancouver might not be over. James Cybulski and Caroline Cameron, co-hosts of the daily morning edition of Sportsnet Connected that is produced here, could be moving to Toronto in time for the new fall network scheduling.

TSN is going to have five stations online this fall and the scuttlebutt is that they are going to air some of the TEAM Radio local shows on one of those stations, so you'll probably see Taylor on TV again ...... even if he doesn't go back to due local TV anchor broadcasts with TSN on CTV. 8-)
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat