Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Postby mathonwy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:18 am

Boston Canucker wrote:I didn't really care about the Thornton quote one way or the other, and it did lead to a week's worth of jokes about it with hockey watching friends, so there's that. But to me it just seemed sort of lazy, journalistic-wise. Okay, so Thornton said it, and it tells us what? Botch is who he is; a hockey/gossip/snark writer. It probably does sell papers, or hits/whatever, but for me, as a hockey fan, I'll read him if it is about hockey but when he gets into gossip/snark mode, I'm out. And his studs and duds thing quickly lost it for me when it soon became clear it was all about him, schticking it up. He's just not funny enough as a commentator/person to pull that off, at least in my view. His mode is sarcasm and snark there's no real insight or smart cutting humor there.


Gotta give him credit for trying though.

I'm not sure if you ever read Yahoo sports but they're quickly becoming a pretty big hub when it comes to hockey sensationalist hockey articles. And the public love it as evident in each article's comment section.

So it works and Botch should eventually get it (I think).
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2103
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:31 pm

Boston Canucker wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Mondi wrote:Ergo, Botchford is more personality than reporter. That's fine for him, just not my style.

Like Gallagher, he's more op-ed than reporter, only younger & shinier. He's just focused on stirring up the dirt & making a spectacle of himself in hopes he'll get more tv time. Full on TMZ & Fox News. His Province staff photo w/ the headphones [ie a prop] around his neck spoke volumes.


The headphones pic is hilarious. I guess he actually thinks it looks cool or something. I just imagine him being an unsufferable person to be around, maybe not, but that's the vibe he gives off.


Gallagher has been a scumbag since day one going back to the Neale and Milford years and likely before that. The ONLY time he has backed off of management is when Eye Bags was here. I'm not saying don't hold these guys feet to the fire if they make mistakes and the team is poor, but Gallagher turned it into personal shit and he took it to new levels constantly . He has lied about so many things and twisted the truth like a pretzel to suit his own agenda.

Botchford is an abstinent LITTLE man. Obviously dealing with small man syndrome right off the hop gives him a real chip on his shoulder. I remember tuning in a few years back when he was on the radio and he got carved hard by a fan about his sports knowledge or lack thereof. He went ballistic saying he played nothing but rep sports all his life and that he was a great athlete. Yeah...... all 5ft 3 of you . The Thornton thing was just stupid and it likely cost him a lot of future interviews. This clown's problem is that he thinks he is a big part of the entertainment package regarding the Canucks.

I would take I Mac, Mason,Pap, Kuzma and even Willes over the aids patient and the intramurals star anyday. Better writing, a lot less lying and no shit disturbing for personal gains, not to mention Gallagher and Botchford barely have an understanding of hockey. Shitrag tabloid hacks is all they are.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3130
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Postby Betamax » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:01 pm

ClamRussel wrote:
mathonwy wrote:In conclusion, I am a supporter of the continued growth of hockey in NA even if it means the end of Canadian dominance in the sport. The only caveat is the hope that a better grassroots hockey system will mean more potential world class athletes choosing to participate in hockey versus other sports. :)

Well, sensationalist gimmicks like dick jokes in the locker room just makes the game look like American Gladiators or Lingerie Football. The growth has to come naturally and that means markets who support the sport w/o the hype. A strong Canadian presence spills down into the northern States and so on.


Well, that's what goes on in the dressing room. So, by extension, botchford as a reporter is doing his job to cover the discourse. Look, if it was a private conversation of JUMBO Joe joking around with a teammate than it would have been a different story, but JUMBO Joe took the opportunity to interject in a public media scrum involving Marleau. Plus, it was just a tidbit added to his online blog and wasn't used in their print publication. :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Postby Betamax » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:32 pm

Mondi wrote:PC?

Penis jokes aren't PC or un-PC, they are just stupid. They appeal to 15-year-old boys.


Well, if the huge number of re-tweets and the fact that it was the topic du jour or semaine on TEAM 1040 radio which caters to Male 25-54 audience suggests that you are an outlier. I mean they hired Bro Jake and their market share in their targeted demo went up. #VERIFIED

That suggests to me that you are, duh, an outlier or are A55+. :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Postby Mondi » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:42 pm

I'm with Clam on the idea that showing class is a "tradition" worth continuing.

I'm happy to be an outlier if I'm disassociated with dick jokes, Bro Jake, Dave Pratt, and Botchford.

I direct your attention to Bertrand Russell, as follows:

“The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widely spread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.”
User avatar
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 849
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Postby Strangelove » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:17 pm

Mondi, I know this is going to come as a major shock, but.... nice posting today buddy!

Image
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7539
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Postby Betamax » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:03 pm

ClamRussel wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Mondi wrote:I take your point. Many would share your view.

My only response is that I don't care if hockeys gets any bigger in the States. The events and personalities that drive popularity in the States are often despicable people these days.

The game is great, and it is strong in Canada (and some places in the USA). I'd rather keep it that way than grow it because of Kardashian-style media hype. And from a selfish perspective, hockey gaining popularity in the USA makes it hard on Team Canada.

But, I will return to my point that I'm not saying Botch was not permitted to print it (due to some code), he just shouldn't have because it was crass. Which I think we both agree.


I would suggest that was a reason to publish it. The old guard seems too pre-occupied with being PC. It's nice to see the new beats wearing generation not adhering to those traditions. That's part of the reason why he's the number one beat canucks' reporter in this market. :mex:

Some traditions in society are worth continuing...like showing class. As a reporter (in any field) you don't print everything you hear, it's not about being PC, it's called discretion.


I dunno ...... there seems to be some disconnect between your comments and the avatar you've chosen to, duh, represent yourself here.

I'm not writing, I'm just writing. :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Postby ClamRussel » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:55 pm

Betamax wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Mondi wrote:I take your point. Many would share your view.

My only response is that I don't care if hockeys gets any bigger in the States. The events and personalities that drive popularity in the States are often despicable people these days.

The game is great, and it is strong in Canada (and some places in the USA). I'd rather keep it that way than grow it because of Kardashian-style media hype. And from a selfish perspective, hockey gaining popularity in the USA makes it hard on Team Canada.

But, I will return to my point that I'm not saying Botch was not permitted to print it (due to some code), he just shouldn't have because it was crass. Which I think we both agree.


I would suggest that was a reason to publish it. The old guard seems too pre-occupied with being PC. It's nice to see the new beats wearing generation not adhering to those traditions. That's part of the reason why he's the number one beat canucks' reporter in this market. :mex:

Some traditions in society are worth continuing...like showing class. As a reporter (in any field) you don't print everything you hear, it's not about being PC, it's called discretion.


I dunno ...... there seems to be some disconnect between your comments and the avatar you've chosen to, duh, represent yourself here.

I'm not writing, I'm just writing. :mex:

Well, since you fancy yourself a writer, perhaps you've come across irony.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3827
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Postby Strangelove » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:53 pm

ClamRussel wrote:
Betamax wrote:I dunno ...... there seems to be some disconnect between your comments and the avatar you've chosen to, duh, represent yourself here.

I'm not writing, I'm just writing. :mex:

Well, since you fancy yourself a writer, perhaps you've come across irony.


Perhaps he's come across THIS:

Image
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7539
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Postby Mondi » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:26 am

Strangelove wrote:Mondi, I know this is going to come as a major shock, but.... nice posting today buddy!

Image


Image
User avatar
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 849
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Postby Betamax » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:21 pm

Don Taylor & Craig MacEwen have been released by Sportsnet. Taylor is on the air until Friday and then he'll be full-time with his radio hosting duties on TEAM Radio. Image
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Postby Uncle dans leg » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:28 pm

Strangelove wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Betamax wrote:I dunno ...... there seems to be some disconnect between your comments and the avatar you've chosen to, duh, represent yourself here.

I'm not writing, I'm just writing. :mex:

Well, since you fancy yourself a writer, perhaps you've come across irony.


Perhaps he's come across THIS:

Image


What the...FUCK...

Is that???
nobody forks with...the jesus
User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1991
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Lethbridge AB

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Postby Strangelove » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:12 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Betamax wrote:I dunno ...... there seems to be some disconnect between your comments and the avatar you've chosen to, duh, represent yourself here.

I'm not writing, I'm just writing. :mex:

Well, since you fancy yourself a writer, perhaps you've come across irony.


Perhaps he's come across THIS:

Image


What the...FUCK...

Is that???


Well it ...LOOKS... a helluvalot like Betamax's heroines Cory Schneider and Pierre McGuire!

Don't judge Danny, don't judge....
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7539
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Postby Puck » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:52 am

Betamax wrote:Don Taylor & Craig MacEwen have been released by Sportsnet. Taylor is on the air until Friday and then he'll be full-time with his radio hosting duties on TEAM Radio. Image

Ouch...
Not that I've been a big fan of the recent years of Taylor, but I feel bad for him. It's probably time he improved his game instead of coasting, I suppose.
User avatar
Puck
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:40 pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Postby ESQ » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:47 am

Betamax wrote:Don Taylor & Craig MacEwen have been released by Sportsnet. Taylor is on the air until Friday and then he'll be full-time with his radio hosting duties on TEAM Radio.

This makes me very sad - I always thought that Taylor was one of the best highlights guys in the business - his humour was perfectly suited to rifling off a series of 5-second jokes without having to give any analysis at all. No question he was at his best when running through a highlights package at breakneck speed, as opposed to sitting in a studio questioning Garry Valk, or talking wine and celebrity birthdays with Terry David Mulligan.

Sounds like its part of a move to shut down most of SN's Western Canada "news" coverage, which means more centralization in Toronto. Which is a huge disappointment, I'd hoped that SN's focus on regional networks would improve coverage of western teams, but looks like its instead going to allow Toronto bullshit to infiltrate more regions of Canada.

Which also makes me sad :cry:
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cornuck, Google [Bot], Island Nucklehead, rockalt and 3 guests