Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media" (or "Idiots" as Torts calls them)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by vic »

Aaron Ward arrested for assault.

Not really Vancouver Media - but he's a regular contributor to at least the morning show.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/09/fo ... th-assault
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Good for TSN to issue an immediate suspension. It would have been hypocritical of them to not do so since the media are the first to scream when a sports league does not issue these type of suspensions.
The only HW the Canucks need
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

The best media guy on the Nucks was Jim Robson and the best dj was Red Robinson. At least for me. Some of you are too young to remember back when Van had a soul and did not reek of greed. The soul has gone on vacation until the apocalypse.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Mondi wrote:Jeff Patterson off the air at 1040, for better or for worse.
TSN 1040 - wtf? How about getting rid of the morons in the morning...Pratt and Jake. Those guys are brutal. I have 1040 on my alarm radio for one reason...after 30 seconds of listening, it gets me out of bed to turn my radio OFF!

Patterson was one of the best commentators on TSN...called it straight and didnt' hesitate to criticize when it was warranted. I'll miss him.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Pattersons voice is horrible . Like it sounds made up for fuck sakes . The high to low pitch and not drawing breath for a 55 second diatribe about nothing . Pattersons voice makes me want to shove ice picks in my ears .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

.......adds a CD of Jeff Patterson and a pair of ice picks to CC Xmas list........
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Pattersons voice is horrible . Like it sounds made up for fuck sakes . The high to low pitch and not drawing breath for a 55 second diatribe about nothing . Pattersons voice makes me want to shove ice picks in my ears .
This.

Honestly it's difficult to evaluate what he says because his voice is so distracting. It's easily the worst voice I've heard on radio. Objectively speaking his analysis was probably fine but who can tell.

I listen to a lot of 1040 podcasts, mostly for the guests. I never paid attention to them before but it's a handy way to get some sports updates while abroad. I don't know if it's on account of hearing them too much (I used to not mind BMac) but all the hosts are horrendous. Used to be a fan of Taylor back on Sportsnet for his goofy schtick but it does not play well on radio. Bro Jake is just so out of touch and lame. Makes me cringe with all his pathetic jokes and bits. Dave Pratt is probably the best of the bunch for 'personality' but he just constantly contradicts himself and makes a bit of an ass of himself.

I might be biased because of my age, but they should really inject some youth in there. It's way too unbalanced. The best thing about the Bro Jake show is the producer 'Sat.' I love when he chimes up. He actually makes some sensible points, often exposing Bro Jake for the senseless cheerleader he is and Pratt for his absurd arguments. They really got to get that guy on the air more.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Lol, who the fuck listens to radio anymore.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Rumsfeld wrote:Lol, who the fuck listens to radio anymore.
Those of us who don't have access to local TV anymore ;)

I get your point about Radio but they are useful in podcast forms. The guests are usually the only part worth listening to.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Radio = while driving

I like Mike and Mike on ESPN (via TSN 1410) in the morning. They essentially NEVER talk hockey - it's probably for the best - but they're solid for football, baseball, basketball.

What's with Pratt and Jake are the constant chats with Mitch Berger? They seem to try to pry all their insider material from that one guy. He's 'ok' as an NFL guy, but what about everything else?

I think Rintoul was doing a decent job with the morning, but he's not coming back until he's kid is about 15 (presumably).
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Puck wrote:Radio = while driving.
Music = while driving

USB drive = no commercials :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

No wonder TSN is going for crap.

redesigned website that sucks.

Mobile website = none

Morning show in Vancouver = a fired rock DJ and a previously released sports talk jockey.

Every morning I turn on 1040 around 6:35 on my drive to work and what are talking about? sports? Nope. They are talking about birthdays and what some lame dude on late night TV said.

They also have those very awful cringe worthy goofy songs about Pratt and Jake.

Usually I last about 2 - 3 minutes and I flip the radio off or turn on the news, hell classic music is better than them.

Who makes decisions at TSN as they sure don't seem to know what the hell they are doing. I am glad they lost most of the hockey, bunch of morons.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Rumsfeld wrote:Lol, who the fuck listens to radio anymore.
Listens to 1040 AM in Thailand.. TV feeds dont work most of the time
so.. wake up tune computer to 1040 or 1070 .. get coffee and listen to Hockey game..
( 14 hour time zone difference ).. Used to enjoy Shorty and Larschied .. both homers but fun
to listen too.. I was raised on Foster Hewitt and Saturday night hockey broadcasts. original 6..
( Damm I am older than dirt )..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

However, the BRO has a pretty good book of business that follows him wherever he goes. His advertising contacts will keep him on the air for a while yet. Despite the fact that he knows nothing about sports, and is basically an excitable fan of the home team.
I've long thought that the sports media should be "traded" to other markets every few years because like the players, sometimes a change in scenery is needed to get rid of complacency...

I also think a problem in Vancouver is that it supports mostly the Canucks and having a 24/7 sports network and having to fill it during prime time slots with quality, mostly hockey talk is almost impossible...

I listen using an ipad app to a number of different markets, I like to get their take after a game against the Canucks, and as compared to most of the other markets the Vancouver morning show is heads and shoulders better....

If you don't believe me try listening to the Flames morning crew the morning of a game against the Nucks or the morning after...

I also enjoy listening to the guests when they are on a non Vancouver market to hear what they are saying about the Nucks to other markets...

The one local guy I can't listen to is Sekeres who I find to be a know it all...Not to mention that his voice isn't made for radio...He's a good example of my theory of trading the media guys because when he first arrived in Vancouver I quite liked listening to him but he has gone beyond finger nails on a chalk board...

Take care...
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

damonberryman wrote:The best media guy on the Nucks was Jim Robson and the best dj was Red Robinson. At least for me. Some of you are too young to remember back when Van had a soul and did not reek of greed. The soul has gone on vacation until the apocalypse.
Definitely not too young .. raised on Foster Hewitt CBC hockey night in Canada .. radio..
Agree Jim Robson was the best in the west :)
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice