Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media" (or "Idiots" as Torts calls them)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by Strangelove »

mathonwy wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Now that you know the plan, whether you agree with the plan or not, try evaluating the moves.
Thanks Hdub.

This snarkiness side of you is kinda interesting.
... and timely. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ClamRussel wrote: The weight of the franchise he could handle.

That's quite the leap you're making. It's relatively easy to be the starter when the team is already out of it, and the media is not pressuring you to perform, and the teammates don't give a shit if you're good or not. I don't know how you can say Lack is ready for 50+ games starting in October, or how he's handle 8-10 straight starts if Markstrom goes down or we wind up with Eriksson as the backup, or how he'd perform when the dog-days of the season kick in come Dec/Jan. There's just so many question marks, and it's really a stretch to think Lack is undoubtedly capable for this.

I might have preferred Hiller on a 2 year deal... but Miller is the more capable and durable goalie, so I won't get upset about that choice. This way we can give Lack a progressively more responsible Workload, and he can be ready if Miller goes down.
Whipping him like a rented mule for 19 straight is not reasonable or conducive for evaluation.
I agree with you. And I'm not basing my views on his stretch there, just that I have my doubts that he's a starting goalie at this point.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Strangelove wrote:
mathonwy wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Now that you know the plan, whether you agree with the plan or not, try evaluating the moves.
Thanks Hdub.

This snarkiness side of you is kinda interesting.
... and timely. :thumbs:
Because some of us don't agree with the side that likes this trade?

Boo hoo. Deal with it.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

mathonwy wrote: Because some of us don't agree with the side that likes this trade?

Boo hoo. Deal with it.
I do believe HW stated a lot more than dat dere. :hmmm:
____
Try to focus on someday.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Bottom line is that if it's unfair to Lack to have him start 15 games in a row through thick and thin then you can't very well send him into the season with potential never-was Jacob Markstrom (who has a history of knee injuries I might add) as your only other goaltender.

What if we get to November and Markstroms had five games and looked awful in all of them.. like, no hope that he turns it around this year? Do you start Lack 55 of the last 60 games? Do you give up assets to get a real goaltender, or pick up some loser on waivers who the team will be afraid to start anyway?

I'm not sure Miller is the best fit and I'm not pleased with his contract but I think it's pretty clear why we needed another goaltender.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: So to recap:

We are not tanking
We want to be a playoff team
We don't want to be in the lottery race
We are re-tooling, not re-building.
Yes, and the media want to sell papers and create shit when by all accounts Miller and Lack have never even met and the Canucks haven't even discussed workload. Miller's workload was scaled back last year in Buffalo, with Enroth getting more starts.
Ryan Miller wrote:“It’s an Olympic year. We’re factoring in the possibility of more travel and playing time for maybe both of us. So the idea is to balance (playing time) out a little bit more and looking at the trend in the NHL.“The season started thinking more about making playoffs and how that all shapes up and adds up. It means that both guys have to carry a load. You need energy to win games. You want to sustain that all year.”
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Strangelove wrote:
mathonwy wrote: I don't like this one bit and further confuses me on whether or not we're rebuilding or retooling or aiming for the last playoff spot to go out in round 1 and draft 18th overall.
It's all good Mat, it's your constant state of confusion that endears you to so many. :)
As per yer modus operandi, you can't help but insult the other side. It really is hard to take you serious at times.

Keep it up Captain Koolaid! :lol:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Canucks will have solid D and efficient goaltending and Desjardins strikes me as a coach that the unit will buy into his system. I fully expect this team to be better than last seasons team. I am anticipating more of brotherhood chemistry with Luongo and Kesler out of the picture, I'm actually looking forward to this season just because I get the sense that it will be the first time in a long while that the guys will play for one another. Here's the problem, there are 8 teams ahead of us that will make the playoffs, IF we do make the playoffs, we won't have the horses to bulge the twine but I believe we will be able to shut teams down. Our first line will be 34, 34 and 33 years of age at the start of the season, they won't have their legs to handle the rigors of the playoffs against the dominantly younger teams of the western conference. Trust me, it's a rebuild here.
Millers signing is just an olive branch to show that they want to make the playoffs when we all know that we will be a lottery team. All smoke and mirrors baby
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RD promoting SHUT DOWN hockey and talking about Canucks coming close to, perhaps making the P/Os?? :shock:

Hey Rummy, which way is the smoke blowing from your place?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote:RD promoting SHUT DOWN hockey and talking about Canucks coming close to, perhaps making the P/Os?? :shock:

Hey Rummy, which way is the smoke blowing from your place?
Rummys place is filled with bongs and Pavel Bure posters
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

RoyalDude wrote:The Canucks will have solid D and efficient goaltending and Desjardins strikes me as a coach that the unit will buy into his system. I fully expect this team to be better than last seasons team. I am anticipating more of brotherhood chemistry with Luongo and Kesler out of the picture, I'm actually looking forward to this season just because I get the sense that it will be the first time in a long while that the guys will play for one another. Here's the problem, there are 8 teams ahead of us that will make the playoffs, IF we do make the playoffs, we won't have the horses to bulge the twine but I believe we will be able to shut teams down. Our first line will be 34, 34 and 33 years of age at the start of the season, they won't have their legs to handle the rigors of the playoffs against the dominantly younger teams of the western conference. Trust me, it's a rebuild here.
Millers signing is just an olive branch to show that they want to make the playoffs when we all know that we will be a lottery team. All smoke and mirrors baby

Pretty much sums it all up.I fully agree and am happy to admit we are in the Connor McDavid derby.If either Henrik or Daniel get hurt(it happens much more often as you get older)we are in even worse trouble. In all honesty I think we are out of it by December. Los Angeles and Chicago ate shit for a few seasons while we were having a 10 year run. We have had it really good for over decade and its our turn for a big shit sandwich.

Management and coaches will get a pass because only a fool thinks we have improved our on ice product. The future looks bright but the present will be dim.I have been waiting patiently for 44 years and a few more is no big deal! Tank it...build it...win it!!!
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

ClamRussel wrote:
SKYO wrote:Yup, and why's this miller talk in the media thread?
Botchford
Yes, and the even more insidious thing about Botchford's column is that it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. He's one of the major Canucks writers; he will MAKE it a controversy and then say, see, just as I said, it's a controversy. Then again, it helps him out because he already knows the narrative for most of his columns all year long....nice work if you can get it.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Strangelove wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: I don't think anyone here thinks poorly of Miller, it's just that's a big cap hit for a guy who comes w/ question marks...
Yeah no, there's no question marks with Miller, he's a proven number one.
St. Louis might beg to differ.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Blaster86
CC Veteran

Post by Blaster86 »

ClamRussel wrote: St. Louis might beg to differ.
Didn't he turn them down when the trade occurred? I think Miller had his eyes out west from the get go.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blaster86 wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: St. Louis might beg to differ.
Didn't he turn them down when the trade occurred? I think Miller had his eyes out west from the get go.
Yes, which is exactly why he ended up there.
The only HW the Canucks need