Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Postby Strangelove » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:14 pm

olpaddy wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Cornuck wrote:I went to more games at Empire Stadium, first as a kid, then as a drunken lout. ;)

Yup ole Empire was famous for drunken louts! :lol:

"Welcome to East Van, prepare to die".

Maybe the crackdown on dat dere when they moved to BC Place is what killed attendance.

Doc the Hastings Park Flavour strangely enough back in the day served as a Nuclear deterrent for most of the peeps... People tended to mind their P's & Qs for if they didn't their were consequences to their actions... Given that your sports flavour essentially came out of that community Canucks Horse Racing Lions... Lions Games at Empire were more involved more fun an edge that teetered on danger at Lions games at The BC Place became more sterile
more corporate they lost their edge...

That makes a lot of sense actually Paddy.

olpaddy wrote:Sidenote seen more things I shouldn't of seen from the age of 10 to 17 at Playland that included fights and sex acts than anyone that age should've...

My apologies. :wink:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:20 pm

Topper wrote:Ever since Landy, people were looking over their shoulders at Empire.

Oi Oi Oi
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Uncle dans leg » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:29 pm

Topper wrote:Ever since Landy, people were looking over their shoulders at Empire.

:lol:
Whatever happened to that old bronze statue anyway? Is that downtown or around the same area?
nobody forks...with the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Postby micky107 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:08 am

August, 1964; I was 6 and getting ready for my first year in hockey.
Was listening to all the chaos on the old radio when the Beatles were at Empire. It was insane.
Sounded scary to a kid. People getting trampled, you could here all the screaming, Red Robinson trying to talk over it all.
Wonder what HW was doing at the time. ;)
micky107
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:48 am

micky107 wrote:August, 1964; I was 6 and getting ready for my first year in hockey.
Was listening to all the chaos on the old radio when the Beatles were at Empire. It was insane.
Sounded scary to a kid. People getting trampled, you could here all the screaming, Red Robinson trying to talk over it all.

Probably doing what all 16 year old catholic girls did in the hay stacks during those hot August nights!
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Uncle dans leg » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:58 am

Hockey Widow wrote:
micky107 wrote:August, 1964; I was 6 and getting ready for my first year in hockey.

Probably doing what all 16 year old catholic girls did in the hay stacks during those hot August nights!

It must have been hell living life when everything was black and white...
nobody forks...with the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Postby black ace » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:09 am

James Cybulski, Steve Darling and Mira Laurence announced as the morning show on Sportsnet 650. Cybulski has always been good, not so sure about Darling though. Comes across as a fan boy.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Rede » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:15 am

black ace wrote:James Cybulski, Steve Darling and Mira Laurence announced as the morning show on Sportsnet 650. Cybulski has always been good, not so sure about Darling though. Comes across as a fan boy.

Assuming guest quality is similar, I'll take that over Bro and Pratt any day of the week.

Shouldn't be hard for SN650 to do well in the afternoon block too - Donny and the Moj are getting a bit tired.

Still like Sekeres and Price though.
Rede
CC Veteran

Postby 5thhorseman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:32 pm

Thank God !!! we have something else now. That's all I got to say.
5thhorseman
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby olpaddy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:43 pm

Just because this is so great... Dumb media questions get these answers after the infamous game 7 too many men loss...
olpaddy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:17 am

I'm no fan of today's Don Cherry but he was a fucking beauty back then.
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby Rocky Dennis » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:27 pm

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nh ... adio-games

Personally I feel we've been spoiled with two superb game callers and one legend in shorty, hughson and robson. While i dont like to criticize any one doing a job that may sound/look easy but is actually very difficult, i wasnt a fan of the last tandem. I found that the call regularly lagged behind the play and we didnt get players name until after the goal was scored (ie)"and they score...horvat off a pass from granlund". I want the play by play to be as up to the second as possible "granlund to horvat he scores". Sounds like a little nit picky thing but it is huge for my enjoyment of the broadcast. The color after goals often seemed forced and sounded prescripted.
I dont listen to the Giants games so not familiar with Batchelor as a play by play man. Anyone else?
Rocky Dennis
CC Veteran

Postby ESQ » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:57 pm

I remember Batchelor used to do the "sports updates" segments during commercial breaks - very monotone, not very interesting to listen to.
ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Mondi » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:51 pm

I would have brought Larschied back for a few guest spots, for SURE!

Tomlinson and Abbott were a little beige.
Mondi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby micky107 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:38 am

Mondi wrote:I would have brought Larschied back for a few guest spots, for SURE!

Tomlinson and Abbott were a little beige.

Tommy Larschied was great. Took him a couple of years to convert to hockey but once he did, awesome!
Ya, you could say a wee bit of a homer but he was able to translate the feel of the game via radio, something
that is a rare commodity.
He's 77 now but it wasn't his age that slowed him down, it was that nasty Crohns disease that made it almost impossible to travel so much.
But for sure, man. A few guest spots would have brought some magic back :)
micky107
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat