Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media" (or "Idiots" as Torts calls them)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by Mickey107 »

rikster wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:29 am
The biggest issue with media is that it is now 24/7, does not matter if it is sports station, news station or traffic, all are 24/7. The problem is that there is not enough going on to warrant that.
I agree...

My pet peeve is that with all of the sports media in Vancouver most are lazy or don't have the financial backing from their employers to get out and dig into stories....

Like why hasn't anyone gone to Russia to sit down with Tryamkin for an extensive interview?

Or, for as much as the media likes to criticize the Nucks management/ownership for being late to admit it needs a full rebuild how many of those same media personalities know much about the kids in the organization?...

The fact that the organization is now considered to have the second best group of prospects caught many of our local media by surprise, how is that possible with so many of them covering the team?

Where's McKeachie when we need him?

Take care...
You both make good points.
It's a real cluster ---- !
I honestly do not think Sportsnet has really saved much by shutting down the regional TV studios and coinciding broadcasting.
Never thought I would miss it as much as I do.
Reruns of the TO bunch all night and all the next day until an actual event is on.
I won't even mention the name of that day-time regurgitation they call a talk show.
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

rikster wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:29 am
The biggest issue with media is that it is now 24/7, does not matter if it is sports station, news station or traffic, all are 24/7. The problem is that there is not enough going on to warrant that.
I agree...

My pet peeve is that with all of the sports media in Vancouver most are lazy or don't have the financial backing from their employers to get out and dig into stories....

Like why hasn't anyone gone to Russia to sit down with Tryamkin for an extensive interview?

Or, for as much as the media likes to criticize the Nucks management/ownership for being late to admit it needs a full rebuild how many of those same media personalities know much about the kids in the organization?...

The fact that the organization is now considered to have the second best group of prospects caught many of our local media by surprise, how is that possible with so many of them covering the team?

Where's McKeachie when we need him?

Take care...
Amen brother, amen.

Instead of spending so much money on stupid looking suits and hair gel they actually get on a plane and do their job.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Eye Bags is on TEAM 1040 with Sekeres and Price today. I wonder if he’ll throw any rocks at Aquilini
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

20 min in this is a great interview. This man is well spoken. He belongs in the game. A team could do well to hire him as a president.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:14 pm 20 min in this is a great interview. This man is well spoken. He belongs in the game. A team could do well to hire him as a president.
Bloberto still pleasuring himself whilst thinking of Mikey, some things never change! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:34 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:14 pm 20 min in this is a great interview. This man is well spoken. He belongs in the game. A team could do well to hire him as a president.
Bloberto still pleasuring himself whilst thinking of Mikey, some things never change! :lol:
I just think he’d be a good prez type guy. Didn’t say he should be a gm again. His drafting was shoddy but he managed the best team in Canucks history. Notice you NEVER threw shade at him before. Or I guess when people insult Elmer you get your back up I guess. :lol:
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:39 pm
I just think he’d be a good prez type guy. Didn’t say he should be a gm again. His drafting was shoddy but he managed the best team in Canucks history. Notice you NEVER threw shade at him before. Or I guess when people insult Elmer you get your back up I guess. :lol:
If you are going to give out no movement contracts for big dollars like candy at Halloween, then you need to have a very good draft and development program to fund those contracts...

The fact that he procrastinated in fixing the scouting department is inexcusable and a major reason the team got lost in the woods once those core players started to age and move into the twilight of their careers....

Trying to excuse himself by claiming a GM has an influence on the teams first pick only was laughable and the fact that Sekeres and Price didn't push back was weak...

For someone who was quick to s*it on Nonis and prior Canucks management in his first press conference, hearing him throw out excuse after excuse for his and the teams failures was tough to listen to....which explains why I couldn't listen to the entire interview...

Take care...
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Interesting interview with MG. He hasn't spoken much publicly after his dismissal.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1189526

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1189506

Some interesting tidbits:
- really wanted to get Shea Weber (thru trade and free agency)
- CoHo had baggage after he was drafted, knew Kassassian had issues as well
- Knew early on it wasn't going to work with Torts. Felt Torts wasn't fully invested here (ie: living in Port Roberts)
- Felt his failure to act on changing the scouting staff earlier was his biggest mistake
- sounds like he's interested in the Seattle mgmt group and has some connections there.

I've always been surprised he never became involved with a hockey club again after here with all this time. Hopefully Trev will come out and speak with the media again. Maybe not what happened between him and the Aquas, but about hockey, the canucks and his family/pursuits, etc.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Yeah, and tomorrow FA, meaning Francesco, will be on the official home of the Canucks, 650am.
Glad they stopped saying "new".
More and more, I find myself returning to 1040.
650am getting so generic and company line-ish.

Maybe one day, Linden says hi to DP in the morning. ;)
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Gillis throwing people under the bus as as usual. Hey Mike, it all went through you, in case you’ve forgotten. Just love how some worship this guy but little do they know, he’s an extremely arrogant a-hole, if you ever had the chance to be in the same room as him.

The Canucks were a missed toe kick save from Luongo off of Toews from getting bounced in the 2011 first round. Followed that with two putrid first round embarrassments in the next two playoffs. Hey Mike you inherited an amazing core with cup potential and failed to win us the Stanley Cup cause you couldn’t add properly the right pieces on top of that amazing core you inherited

And please don’t defend your NTC contracts, lol. That was laughable
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:40 am Gillis throwing people under the bus as as usual. Hey Mike, it all went through you, in case you’ve forgotten. Just love how some worship this guy but little do they know, he’s an extremely arrogant a-hole, if you ever had the chance to be in the same room as him.

The Canucks were a missed toe kick save from Luongo off of Toews from getting bounced in the 2011 first round. Followed that with two putrid first round embarrassments in the next two playoffs. Hey Mike you inherited an amazing core with cup potential and failed to win us the Stanley Cup cause you couldn’t add properly the right pieces on top of that amazing core you inherited

And please don’t defend your NTC contracts, lol. That was laughable
The day Gillis got fired ... The same day when you and blob switched places. 8-)

But yeah I’ll take JB over MG

Those NTC’s killed Any chance of a reload while the twins were still capable.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

But the NTCs Elmer hands out are A Okay
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The interview was just Mike Gillis selling Mike Gillis as usual. Classic Shit-talker
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

micky107 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:41 am Yeah, and tomorrow FA, meaning Francesco, will be on the official home of the Canucks, 650am.
Glad they stopped saying "new".
More and more, I find myself returning to 1040.
650am getting so generic and company line-ish.

Maybe one day, Linden says hi to DP in the morning. ;)
Hirsch is awful on the radio, God he sounds like he is the little engine that is trying.

650 is also ass kissing so much to the Canucks it is nauseating. Switch between both and when they both suck then I put on some rock and roll or classic music.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:39 pm
I just think he’d be a good prez type guy. Didn’t say he should be a gm again. His drafting was shoddy but he managed the best team in Canucks history. Notice you NEVER threw shade at him before.
Yeahno, I "threw shade" at Gillis All. The. Time.

In particular I argued vehemently with Potatoe, Coco and others for years about Gillis' inability to add protectors.

Over the years Naslund, the Sedins and others stated in the media that protectors were needed.

Gillis himself acknowledged it... yet failed to provide it.

Then came the Big Bad Bruins to end our Cup aspirations. :evil:

There were other things I criticized Gillis for, but I also pointed-out/defended his many good moves.

You said he "managed the best team in Canucks history" BUT:

When he arrived the team had the Sedins in their prime

... plus Lou Fucking Ongo

... plus aging-though-still-productive Naslund + Morrison (Gillis let both walk as UFAs)

... plus star defensemen Salo, Ohlund, and Willie Mitchell

... plus emerging players such as Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Raymond, Hansen

(Schneider, Grabner, and Rypien were already in the system as well)

Yeah, pretty easy to convince Sundin, Demitra, Samuelsson, Malhotra, Hamhuis, Torres, etc to join THAT crew!

In fact, any GM coming to Vancouver in 2008 was destined for success, pretty hard to screw up that situation.

Yet he failed to win the Cup and he failed to leave anything in the cupboards for the next guy.

(other than Horvat, but he gave up Schneider in his prime to get him)

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:39 pm Or I guess when people insult Elmer you get your back up I guess. :lol:
:eh:
____
Try to focus on someday.