Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media" (or "Idiots" as Torts calls them)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by dhabums »

Strangelove wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote: What I find kind of interesting is that none of the local meda really picked up on Don Cherry going after Ron McLean for his Canuck bias.

Don went after him a bit during coaches corer and then just hammered him after the game because he was super pissed off about the "anti-fighting" discussion.

After the game Cherry sad something like "oh yeah look at Vancouver, they are going to go to the final again this year and I know you are just going to hate that Ron".
Not sure if it's been talked about here (I've been away) but didn't Cherry accuse MacLean of saying - behind the scenes - that he thought Burrows opened the door on purpose in the Ottawa game and that he was diving in the Montreal game?

Be gentle I'VE BEEN AWAY.

MacLean is the one who started all this media hate-the-Canucks bullshit with his attack on Burrows back when imo.

HNIC is gunna be interesting on Saturday night! :thumbs:

I stopped listening to Vancouver sports media years ago....

Too much is being made of what Cherry said.
GoalieDad
CC Rookie

Post by GoalieDad »

dhabums wrote:Why make of fun of Curt? Even what Gallagher sort of gets it right he gets it wrong.

The only thing I've got to say is, "I LOVE that picture!" And ... who is it? (Thx in advance)
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

GoalieDad wrote:
dhabums wrote:Why make of fun of Curt? Even what Gallagher sort of gets it right he gets it wrong.

pic

The only thing I've got to say is, "I LOVE that picture!" And ... who is it? (Thx in advance)
Curt Ridley, one of my favourite goalies as a kid. That mask is classic.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

dhabums wrote: Too much is being made of what Cherry said.
Maybe so .... probably because Cherry called out Maclean the way we expected Pratt and Taylor too. It took 2 years and Cherry in a fiesty mood for Maclean to finally be taken to task for the Burrows piece.

While we're getting our hate on, how about the intro to HNIC with the CGI players skating around? God I hate that. Just show me the actual highlight clip, its so much more impressive and cool than a bizarre-looking faceoff between Gretzky and Crosby.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

As a longtime (and justified/righteous) Ronald MacLean hater I beg to differ!

Any road which may lead to the comeuppance of said scumbag is a very good road indeed.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Joe Rockhead »

Love Cherry!

Absolutely hate the Vancouver media!

Hate isn't a strong enough word!

I actually daydream of shit kicking the geek piles of sh*t!
Don Cherry for P.M.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:

Any road which may lead to the comeuppance of said scumbag is a very good road indeed.
whenever I want to feel revolted or need to empty the contents of my stomach through my cake hole all I do is think about the first interviews he conducted with buttman when he was first appointed Pope of the NHL and was shitting all over long standing traditions. Ronald was supposed to articulate all the concerns of tradition's point of view, he was going to take Buttman to task, he was our spokesman, our hope to be heard....what happened? He left with Buttmans ass prints on his face and has been sucking up to the little yankee lawyer ever since.
The lists of offense the guy Mclean has authored is long but that one for me is primo ..... :evil:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mondi wrote: Can anyone provide a link the relevant Cherry comments?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

whenever I want to feel revolted or need to empty the contents of my stomach through my cake hole all I do is think about the first interviews he conducted with buttman when he was first appointed Pope of the NHL and was shitting all over long standing traditions. Ronald was supposed to articulate all the concerns of tradition's point of view, he was going to take Buttman to task, he was our spokesman, our hope to be heard....what happened? He left with Buttmans ass prints on his face and has been sucking up to the little yankee lawyer ever since.

The lists of offense the guy Mclean has authored is long but that one for me is primo ..... :evil:
Yeah, I'll never forget how Bettman destroyed Ronald in that interview.

Of course I enjoyed it thoroughly. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

I do not know if this should be a new topic or not as it has to do with the Sedins, Vancouver and the media. I have spent years reading the posts about the canucks. i went on TSN this morning to check the score of the Carolina game and almost all the posts were from haters. The closest thing that looks like this level of hate is the Maple Leaf Canadian rivalry but it has really been dead a long time. Maybe Boston/Montreal? It seems so many in public positions hate Vancouver. I was stunned last year to listen to Milbury take such a one sided role and be nasty about it all. He targeted the Sedins. Thelma and Louise. Then the constant yapping of the poodle named McLean on HNIC. It goes even worse with the local media from what I read. I live in NY but sometimes read the Province and if there are a group of writers more boring than that lot I do not want to know. Milbury I understand. He is American and anything not totally Yank throws them off their feed. The Sedins are identical twins, are Swedish and do not act like they grew up in Wawa dringing Xtra old stock and beating up on the local wimps. They come across as thoughtful, civilized and intelligent and if ever a group of qualities exist guaranteed to piss of our southern friends this is it. Then they have the nerve to win the scoring title two years in a row, with each brother taking a turn. They are almost locks for the HOF and will only need to win a cup to guarantee their selection. Yet they are hated on by many. I just wonder if it is the haters who are loud enough to drown out all the admirers of this level of skill? If they came from Ontario they would be national heros and icons. Instead they are subjected to a steady litany of abuse. I tell you it would not surprise me if they did not sign a new contract and ended up going home to play their last years in a country that gives them some of their due. That will be a sad day for the Canucks for sure. I enjoyed last year very much. i lived through all the bad years and ran around many foriegn countries looking to find a hockey news pre online. They were a wonderful team and not winning it all hurt a lot for all fans but it does not take away from a wonderful season when looking back. We are a better team this year and I do not see how we are not going all the way. Milbury, McLean and all the flatlanders in Alberta who seem to live and breath for the chance to hate our team are not anyone I want to emulate. At the same time this is not important in the big picture for most. I want to win the Cup but it will not shut the haters up. not for a second. Vancouver has always brought out the jealousy in the rest of Canada, but then anyone who by choice lives in the other nine provinces does not have much to brag on. Eveytime I leave Vancouver to go home to NY I feel like I failed an IQ test.
BCReefer
CC Veteran

Post by BCReefer »

damonberryman wrote:I do not know if this should be a new topic or not as it has to do with the Sedins, Vancouver and the media. I have spent years reading the posts about the canucks. i went on TSN this morning to check the score of the Carolina game and almost all the posts were from haters. The closest thing that looks like this level of hate is the Maple Leaf Canadian rivalry but it has really been dead a long time. Maybe Boston/Montreal? It seems so many in public positions hate Vancouver.

I was stunned last year to listen to Milbury take such a one sided role and be nasty about it all. He targeted the Sedins. Thelma and Louise. Then the constant yapping of the poodle named McLean on HNIC. It goes even worse with the local media from what I read. I live in NY but sometimes read the Province and if there are a group of writers more boring than that lot I do not want to know. Milbury I understand. He is American and anything not totally Yank throws them off their feed.

The Sedins are identical twins, are Swedish and do not act like they grew up in Wawa dringing Xtra old stock and beating up on the local wimps. They come across as thoughtful, civilized and intelligent and if ever a group of qualities exist guaranteed to piss of our southern friends this is it. Then they have the nerve to win the scoring title two years in a row, with each brother taking a turn. They are almost locks for the HOF and will only need to win a cup to guarantee their selection. Yet they are hated on by many. I just wonder if it is the haters who are loud enough to drown out all the admirers of this level of skill? If they came from Ontario they would be national heros and icons. Instead they are subjected to a steady litany of abuse.

I tell you it would not surprise me if they did not sign a new contract and ended up going home to play their last years in a country that gives them some of their due. That will be a sad day for the Canucks for sure. I enjoyed last year very much. i lived through all the bad years and ran around many foriegn countries looking to find a hockey news pre online. They were a wonderful team and not winning it all hurt a lot for all fans but it does not take away from a wonderful season when looking back.

We are a better team this year and I do not see how we are not going all the way. Milbury, McLean and all the flatlanders in Alberta who seem to live and breath for the chance to hate our team are not anyone I want to emulate. At the same time this is not important in the big picture for most.

I want to win the Cup but it will not shut the haters up. not for a second. Vancouver has always brought out the jealousy in the rest of Canada, but then anyone who by choice lives in the other nine provinces does not have much to brag on. Eveytime I leave Vancouver to go home to NY I feel like I failed an IQ test.
Not sure if the breaks are in the right place but I could not read it the original way.
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

Damn Reef, I wish I'd seen your post before I struglled through the original, which was good but dificult to read.!
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

BCReefer wrote:
damonberryman wrote:I tell you it would not surprise me if they did not sign a new contract and ended up going home to play their last years in a country that gives them some of their due. .
Not sure if the breaks are in the right place but I could not read it the original way.
I would be surprised if they chose to go home if they were still capable of playing at the NHL level.
I truly believe that they really don't care what the Milbury's,Macleans,Cherry's of the world have to say about them.They and the rest of the franchise are committed to winning and thats the bottom line.The integrity the Sedins have is world class,top shelf,something the critics can only dream of if it was actually important to them.

thx for the adjustments reef
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BCReefer wrote: Not sure if the breaks are in the right place but I could not read it the original way.
REEF! :D :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:As for the media I've had enough of Don Taylor and B--Mac with the weak Paul Morris imitations.
Don Taylor and B Mac IMO are the poster boys of the current generation of local sports media, they lead the charge, they are a big part of the reason why the local sports media sucks around here. I can't stand B Mac's fence sitting, politically correct, milk toast approach. Zero personality and I do not care one bit about the mans opinions cause they are fucking lame. And please, somebody needs to tell Don Taylor he is not camera friendly. He makes Gary Valk look like the best looking human in broadcasting.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau