Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media" (or "Idiots" as Torts calls them)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by BurningBeard »

Topper wrote: 24hr Men's Curling Network
24hr Lesbian Curling Network
24hr Gay Curling Network
24hr Bi-Sexual Curling Network
24hr Transgendered Curling Network

Did I miss anyone?
I'm just trying to figure out which one would feature ODB. Can you be featured on three channels at once?
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Mondi wrote:What scares me is that the money and will is in place to have something like 10 all sports channels in Canada, but it is pretty much impossible to get solid unbalanced news from any source and the sources that do exist keep getting cutback and consolidated.
Ah yes, the distraction of the people. A time honoured tradition.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

RoyalDude wrote:Everyone needs to understand something here when it comes to Gollum. He gets very personal with stuff, he's a baby to be blunt. He is going to be going for the throat with the new management now that his good friend Mike Gillis has been fired. We are going to be seeing the Tony G of old like back in the days when Quinn/Burke and Nonis were GM's. Everyone does realize that Mike Gillis and Tony G have been long friends dating way back to when Gillis was a fresh eyed Players Agent. Tony Gallagher was one of the main players here that got Gillis the job here in the beginning.

The fact that people are shocked with Tony G's vitriol with new management is astounding in itself.
Hot off the press today:
"Consider that former president and general manger Mike Gillis has essentially been replaced by four people."
http://www.theprovince.com/touch/sports ... rel=894638
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Mondi wrote:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technolo ... e20321080/

Well that didn't take long...there it is--vertical integration.

If you are a Rogers cable subscribe you are now a preferred customer when it comes to the NHL properties.

Rogers owns the team (leaves), the property (SN hockey), the on-air talent (the panel), the physical network and the wires, and the TV station.

Basically, fuck you Telus, Shaw, and Bell we have a monopoly.
So a Canuck fan living out east with no access to Rogers - like me - gets screwed... :(

Well, I was having a hard enough time staying awake on weekday games and heading to work anyway....
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

A pretty expensive loss leader to acquire cel phone subscriptions. So this is for the first year, what about the next? Guess this was built into the deal as it will take a chunk out of the NHL's GameCenter.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I wonder if this means in the US on Center Ice we'll finally get HD feeds from Canadian broadcasts instead of crappy SD feeds. Only the leaves, of course, and HNIC on NHL network and the occasional Canucks game last year were in HD. Watching the other games in SD made me feel like it was back in the 1980s watching it on BCTV with Bernie Pascall and John McKeachie....
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

That commercial with Mark Messier and some a-hole wearing a Blackhawks jersey *really* makes me want to shell out $200 for a GameCentre package. What fucking knob put that commercial together to broadcast to a BC audience?
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

BurningBeard wrote:That commercial with Mark Messier and some a-hole wearing a Blackhawks jersey *really* makes me want to shell out $200 for a GameCentre package. What fucking knob put that commercial together to broadcast to a BC audience?
Don't worry - it was just as unpalatable to watch out here in Ontario. Further evidence that the league hates the Canucks and its fans... ;)
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/kesl ... ducks.html
Kesler wrote:That’s the problem with Vancouver. The media makes up a lot of stories that aren’t true. To be honest, I was really sick of certain media guys throwing people under the bus.
:lol:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BurningBeard wrote:http://www.ocregister.com/articles/kesl ... ducks.html
Kesler wrote:That’s the problem with Vancouver. The media makes up a lot of stories that aren’t true. To be honest, I was really sick of certain media guys throwing people under the bus.
:lol:
^^He's clearly referring to poster Todd there. :mrgreen:

But wait...

“Talking with (Canucks) management, they were going into a rebuild or that’s what they told me. I just thought it was best to move on.”

:shock:

Did Kesler just throw Canucks management under the bus? :crazy:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Love this part:

Playing in a beautiful city such as Vancouver is something he’ll never forget. Answering the daily questions from an ever-present media in a hockey-obsessed town is something he won’t miss.

“I get they’ve got to sell papers in that city,” Kesler said. “Negative stories sell more than positive stories. Saying that, that never bothered me. Obviously you get irritated with them sometimes. But the media was fine. I liked most of them.”

One big issue with Kesler was the perception that he wasn’t the ideal guy to be around when the Canucks went south last season. The reported trade demand that came out of the Sochi Olympics didn’t help.

Can he be moody during a losing streak? Sure. Is he a bad teammate? Hardly, he insists.

“I don’t buy that I’m not a good teammate,” he said. “You can ask any of my teammates. I know when I was traded, if I was such a bad teammate, 95 percent of the guys wouldn’t have texted me (afterward).

“That’s the problem with Vancouver. The media makes up a lot of stories that aren’t true. To be honest, I was really sick of certain media guys throwing people under the bus.

“No matter how much my old teammates say it doesn’t bother them. It affects them. It does in that city.”

He never addressed whether he did demand a trade before the trade deadline and whether the rumours coming out of Sochi were true or not. He makes it sound like he only asked for a trade with the coaching and management changes and he was told there was a rebuild on. I think revisionist history intended to paint himself in a better light.

The whole shit began with him, not MG and not Benning who tried to get him to stay. He certainly doesn't address he and his agents behaviour in forcing a trade or how he tied the Canucks hands. It was all about him hating to lose and jumping ship when times got tough.

Seems like he wants to blame the media talking about all the negative shit, yes he is accurate, but Mr. Kesler has had more than his share of very positive press from Vancouver.
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote:Seems like he wants to blame the media talking about all the negative shit, yes he is accurate, but Mr. Kesler has had more than his share of very positive press from Vancouver.
The media, fans and Canucks organization in Vancouver treated Kesler like like a rock star far more than he got flack for being an injury prone, selfish prick who had more low percentage shots blocked by shin pads than anybody else in Vancouver Canucks history.

I hope Kesler fails in California and never wins another individual or team award. I am bitter and always will be at how he tied the Canucks' hands by demanding a trade to basically one destination. You got your trade Ryan, now shut the fuck up and be thankful for what the Canucks organization and its fans did for you, including trading you to Anaheim.
Last edited by herb on Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Hockey Widow wrote:He never addressed whether he did demand a trade before the trade deadline and whether the rumours coming out of Sochi were true or not. He makes it sound like he only asked for a trade with the coaching and management changes and he was told there was a rebuild on. I think revisionist history intended to paint himself in a better light.

The whole shit began with him, not MG and not Benning who tried to get him to stay. He certainly doesn't address he and his agents behaviour in forcing a trade or how he tied the Canucks hands. It was all about him hating to lose and jumping ship when times got tough.

Seems like he wants to blame the media talking about all the negative shit, yes he is accurate, but Mr. Kesler has had more than his share of very positive press from Vancouver.
Just looking for scapegoats to cover up his bad behaviour. You're correct, repeat a lie long enough and people will accept it as fact. Some people anyways. I think Benning traded him so quickly just to get his annoying agent off his back. Don't want to be here? See ya. Someone might want to let RK know that isn't exactly the hallmark of a "good teammate".
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

herb wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Seems like he wants to blame the media talking about all the negative shit, yes he is accurate, but Mr. Kesler has had more than his share of very positive press from Vancouver.
The media, fans and Canucks organization in Vancouver treated Kesler like like a rock star far more than he got flack for being an injury prone, selfish prick who had more low percentage shots blocked by shin pads than anybody else in Vancouver Canucks history.

I hope Kesler fails in California and never wins another individual or team award. I am bitter and always will be at how he tied the Canucks' hands by demanding a trade to basically one destination. You got your trade Ryan, not shut the fuck up and be thankful for what the Canucks organization and its fans did for you, including trading you to Anaheim.
Agreed herb, I only wish Benning said screw you to him & his agent until he provided a list of 6 teams. I know I was hard on the return for this trade but that was before I knew JB only had one team he could deal with. Under those circumstances I think he did ok considering he was trading from a position of weakness. I had just wished he had acquired younger players w/ more upside who would be the same age as Horvat/Virtanen etc. since this is a rebuild afterall. Kesler really screwed the team in the end.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Seriously guys?

You're blaming Kesler for looking out for himself considering how much Gillis and Co fucked our team post cup run?

:drink:

A) He did his job (which was scoring goals) and he did it beyond well. I judge a player's character by the effort he puts forth on the ice in good times as well as in bad and 95% of the time Ryan Kesler was with the Canucks, his effort level was 95% or higher. Its why we (most of us) liked him and Burr so much. Compare this against a player like Bieksa and its night and day. Anyone remember casual Kev? *raises hand*. I do I do. Fucking drove me crazy having Bieksa mishandle the puck because of his casualness.

B) He doesn't owe the Canuck organization a single thing nor should he feel compelled to compromise a contract term that he negotiated with the Canucks in good faith. I love my Canucks but a contract is a contract. If anything, be bitter at Gillis for not being more savvy when negotiating the NTC option.

C) The negative press out of Sochi was partly Kane and Toews trying to sell Kesler (getting Kesler drunk) on coming to Chicago. But, in reality, who gives a shit what the media says or doesn't say when it comes to this type of he said/she said crap. What should matter is his performance on the ice and considering he was our leading goal scorer.. that should be enough.. right guys?? right??

D) Injury prone, selfish prick? Geezes Herb. Just like the Burr haters. What have you done for me lately right? :(

Why be bitter at Kesler? He did his job well despite how incompetent management was. Did he screw the Canucks? No, he didn't. Gillis screwed the Canucks by putting Torts in charge last season, punting both Luo and Schneid, trading for a lame duck in Booth and drafting and trading incredibly poorly.

When you got management fucking up this badly, why would you blame the player for looking out for himself? This ain't a charity.

:drink: