Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media" (or "Idiots" as Torts calls them)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by Topper »

Betamax wrote:
Topper wrote:What about that Roger Millions cocksucker?

Uhhhhhhhhhh, Topper, you do know we are living in modern times where LGBT rights exist, EH? Image
I'll take a pie in the face.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Mondi wrote:I like to limit it to game-time only, and then Sportscentre or whatever highlight show.

My concern is more with the vertical integration of sports and the media leaving the consumer with absolutely no alternatives.

What happens if Bell and Rogers start to block out Shaw and Cogeco...saying if you want to watch hockey you need to get a Rogers or Bell account.

Or if Bell and Rogers wireless customers get exclusive NHL content (which I think they may already get at Rogers Arena)

It basically means the monopoly (or duoploy) gets stronger and the other players get punted.

Vicious cycle...
CRTC

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Mondi wrote:I know there are protections in place, but the CPC government isn't exactly keen on regulation and intervention.

From a media perspective, it may be impossible (for now) for anything I have suggested may happen to actually happen.

But from a hockey perspective, money talks. The leaves are owned by the exclusive rights holder for NHL in Canada. I find that disturbing.
When it comes to media competition the government lead by Prime Minister Stephen Harper is more than willing to meddle. Witness their intervention in cellular spectrum auctions.

Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Frankly, if this eastern-based Canucks fan can get to see more than a handful of games without having to get the Centre-Ice package, I don't care which paid chimp stands before the camera between periods.

Having Hughson back doing play-by-play for Canuck games, though, would be money. :mrgreen:

A man can dream...
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

ESQ wrote:
Betamax wrote:Don Taylor & Craig MacEwen have been released by Sportsnet. Taylor is on the air until Friday and then he'll be full-time with his radio hosting duties on TEAM Radio.
This makes me very sad - I always thought that Taylor was one of the best highlights guys in the business - his humour was perfectly suited to rifling off a series of 5-second jokes without having to give any analysis at all.
This makes me sad too. I guess I'm biased though. I met Don Taylor personally a many years back. He invited me to be in studio for a live broadcast of Sportsnet Connected. One of the nicest guys I've met, and just completely down to earth and honest. Told me that most of the off screen production staff were brought over from Sports Page. He also pretty much said straight up that head office (out East) doesn't know its head from its ass. He was completely up front about it and pulled no punches. :lol:

In that regard, this consolidation out East is not good. We bitch and moan about CBC, just wait until the exclusive NHL rights holder, and owners of the Toronto Maple leaves start providing coverage. This is a horrible indicator of the direction they're headed in.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Maybe we can go back to the days of having a dozen or so games on BCTV/Check.
Anyone remember Bernie Pascall w/ Howie? ...then Houlihan & Monahan at intermission.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Fuck sportsnet, I'm gettin' bootleg streams from them now. lol

Bring back sportspage, as I only watched the sportsnet pacific channel for the Canucks first talk.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:Fuck sportsnet, I'm gettin' bootleg streams from them now. lol

Bring back sportspage, as I only watched the sportsnet pacific channel for the Canucks first talk.

I wonder who will do SN Pacific in place of Taylor? Maybe someone good!!
The only HW the Canucks need
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow wrote:

I think they drop all the regions and just go with the Toronto group.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

About fucking time Taylor got clipped . The SN highlights might actually be watchable for once .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Reefer2 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

I think they drop all the regions and just go with the Toronto group.
via: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/08/06 ... acewen-go/

Sportsnet pulls back its Vancouver operation, as it lets Taylor, MacEwen go
August 6, 2014. 12:30 pm
Posted by: Patrick Johnston

Here is Sportsnet's reply to The Province on the departures:
UPDATE:

Sportsnet’s Jennifer Neziol answered a query from Province Sports about the departure of Taylor and MacEwen and the future of fellow Pacific anchors James Cybulski, Caroline Cameron as well as Canucks studio analyst Garry Valk:
I can confirm that Craig MacEwen is no longer with the company, and that Don Taylor will be leaving the company on Friday, Aug. 8 to focus 100% of his energy on radio. Don has been crucial in establishing the Sportsnet brand in BC, and we wish both him and Craig all of the best.

Sportsnet is the proud home of the Vancouver Canucks, and continues to have the largest sports media presence in Vancouver. We will also continue to report on Vancouver sports as an integral part of our news programming.

James Cybulski and Caroline Cameron will continue to host Connected from Vancouver; in terms of NHL, we’ll be announcing our full broadcast team closer to the start of the season.
So, when Taylor talked about being phased out for the last couple of years on TEAM Radio, I guess he could see into the future. Image
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Cybulski sucks
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Announce the broadcast team?? Does this mean John and John or John or John are on the way out? I would think Shorty should be a lock and find it curious they wouldn't just say so.
The only HW the Canucks need
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Hockey Widow wrote: I wonder who will do SN Pacific in place of Taylor? Maybe someone good!!
No, they fired Valk too. :(
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey Widow wrote:Announce the broadcast team?? Does this mean John and John or John or John are on the way out? I would think Shorty should be a lock and find it curious they wouldn't just say so.
I wonder if Shorty will have to pick and choose between doing tv only or will he still be able to do both tv and radio. Since Sportsnet is a Rogers property and TEAM radio is Bell owned and although they co-operated on the MLSE sale, they are still heated rivals and I'm sure Bell wasn't too happy to lose all national rights to NHL hockey to them. 8-)