Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media" (or "Idiots" as Torts calls them)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I agree with a lot of your post Doc. But Naslund never played under Gillis and if the Canucks weren’t mangled by injuries they would have won the cup.

I’ve said before he should have gotten fired when he did. I think he’d be a good president. He’s very well spoken and very intelligent
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:56 am I agree with a lot of your post Doc. But Naslund never played under Gillis and if the Canucks weren’t mangled by injuries they would have won the cup.

I’ve said before he should have gotten fired when he did. I think he’d be a good president. He’s very well spoken and very intelligent
Gillis came on board in April of 2008.

Naslund walked as a UFA in July 2008.

Gillis had time to smooth things between Giggles and Nazzy19 (<- hi Ohdee!)

Gillis may be well spoken, but he was always an arrogant prick.

All of the other GMs used to laugh and call him names.

They never let poor Mikey join in any GM games.

And no Virginia, there is no Santa Claus...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

rikster wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:58 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:39 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:34 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:14 pm 20 min in this is a great interview. This man is well spoken. He belongs in the game. A team could do well to hire him as a president.
Bloberto still pleasuring himself whilst thinking of Mikey, some things never change! :lol:
I just think he’d be a good prez type guy. Didn’t say he should be a gm again. His drafting was shoddy but he managed the best team in Canucks history. Notice you NEVER threw shade at him before. Or I guess when people insult Elmer you get your back up I guess. :lol:
If you are going to give out no movement contracts for big dollars like candy at Halloween, then you need to have a very good draft and development program to fund those contracts...

The fact that he procrastinated in fixing the scouting department is inexcusable and a major reason the team got lost in the woods once those core players started to age and move into the twilight of their careers....

Trying to excuse himself by claiming a GM has an influence on the teams first pick only was laughable and the fact that Sekeres and Price didn't push back was weak...

For someone who was quick to s*it on Nonis and prior Canucks management in his first press conference, hearing him throw out excuse after excuse for his and the teams failures was tough to listen to....which explains why I couldn't listen to the entire interview...

Take care...
Hey Rikster - great to see you posting regularly - been a while since we've had some good hockey discussions and I'm quite enjoying it, even if I'm having a hard time finding the time to post myself.....

I don't have an issue with most of the contracts Gillis gave out, even with the NT and NM clauses. Almost all of them were signed at below market rates (at the time), and they were for really good players who were on the best team in the league. That's the way it's supposed to work. Yes, it can hamstring you a bit for the future but there aren't too many players who are performing up to their contracts where the NT craters their value - it's when those players are playing like crap (Eriksson) that it's an issue. He signed very good FAs as well.

With that said, his drafting sucked. I'm in agreement with you that the buck stops with the GM for drafts. The big issue with Gillis is he was more of an executive type rather than a hockey man like Benning, so he probably didn't want to overrule his scouts even if they had a long track record of sucking. If that's the case, he should have hired a guy like Judd Brackett to do the drafting much earlier. Definitely a mistake by Gillis and one that made a huge hole in the team towards the end of his tenure. The odd thing about this is he was very good at finding guys to excel in one aspect of management - Gilman with contracts is a great example - but he couldn't or didn't find a guy to excel in drafting. Gillis didn't have the high picks Benning has had to fix the system but you have to hit on a few picks even if you're picking towards the end of each round.

Gillis was an arrogant p%ick during his time here, even if you liked his results for the most part like I did. It's good to see that he may have learned a bit more humility over the last few years, hopefully it serves him well if he gets another chance.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

He always looked like he had been bobbing for drumsticks in the kfc bucket when interviewed. Maybe that greasy chin was why nobody would trade with him unless he was facing the other way
If you need air...call it in
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I liked a lot of ahead-of-the-curve things that Gillis did.

For some reason, people (particularly the dummies on the radio) love to mock the "sleep doctors", but nobody mentions that every team in the league copied Gillis on that system of fatigue management, that the sleep data from year one lead to a substantially improved schedule the following year, and that the research lead to substantially better road results. Yet for some reason, this is portrayed as a quirky/dumb move by Gillis, akin to offering Sundin $20 million.

Gillis also gets some credit for executing his plan to make Vancouver a destination for UFAs. It certainly was during that time, with the Canucks usually landing one of the top-5 UFA's each year (Demitra, Sundin, Hamhuis, Garrison...ya I know how that worked out).

From the interview, and the results, its clear that drafting wasn't a top priority for Gillis. He has his reasons for why that was the case, and had he won a Cup we wouldn't be second-guessing and he'd likely still be the GM.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Funny how that is. One more game won would've made him a Canucks legend
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:11 am I liked a lot of ahead-of-the-curve things that Gillis did.
So did I... I liked a lot of what Gillis did.

ESQ wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:11 am For some reason, people (particularly the dummies on the radio) love to mock the "sleep doctors", but nobody mentions that every team in the league copied Gillis on that system of fatigue management, that the sleep data from year one lead to a substantially improved schedule the following year, and that the research lead to substantially better road results. Yet for some reason, this is portrayed as a quirky/dumb move by Gillis, akin to offering Sundin $20 million.
I liked the sleep doctor thing, but if Sundin had accepted the $20M it could have ruined everything.

(I put up a series of posts about that a while back)

ESQ wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:11 am Gillis also gets some credit for executing his plan to make Vancouver a destination for UFAs. It certainly was during that time, with the Canucks usually landing one of the top-5 UFA's each year (Demitra, Sundin, Hamhuis, Garrison...ya I know how that worked out).
I believe the core that Gillis inherited was the cause for UFAs wanting to sign here.

ESQ wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:11 am From the interview, and the results, its clear that drafting wasn't a top priority for Gillis. He has his reasons for why that was the case, and had he won a Cup we wouldn't be second-guessing and he'd likely still be the GM.
Well then thank God we didn't win the Cup because Gillis certainly would have been the worst rebuilder ever! :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I would have liked to have seen Gillis start a rebuild. He seemed to be trending that way with the Cory Schneider trade.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Oh yes because Gillis is such a great drafter. :look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:53 pm Oh yes because Gillis is such a great drafter. :look:
I think Judd Brackett was hired too late. He seems to be the common denominator in the improvement of the scouting staff
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

:roll:

Are you being groomed as MS' replacement?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Everyone in the organization has talked about Bracketts nfluence.

Again if I’m MS, you are definitely Etteduag ot Reseob
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yeah yeah, don't give Yimmy any credit no matter what you do... even if you have to steal MS' material.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:12 pm Yeah yeah, don't give Yimmy any credit no matter what you do... even if you have to steal MS' material.
We both know I skullfucked MS at central. He’s a bigger idiot than pauser or mathowny
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:20 pm
Strangelove wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:12 pm Yeah yeah, don't give Yimmy any credit no matter what you do... even if you have to steal MS' material.
We both know I skullfucked MS at central. He’s a bigger idiot than pauser or mathowny
Truth but you sound kinda like him at the moment, just sayin...
____
Try to focus on someday.