Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media" (or "Idiots" as Torts calls them)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by black ace »

James Cybulski, Steve Darling and Mira Laurence announced as the morning show on Sportsnet 650. Cybulski has always been good, not so sure about Darling though. Comes across as a fan boy.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

black ace wrote:James Cybulski, Steve Darling and Mira Laurence announced as the morning show on Sportsnet 650. Cybulski has always been good, not so sure about Darling though. Comes across as a fan boy.
Assuming guest quality is similar, I'll take that over Bro and Pratt any day of the week.

Shouldn't be hard for SN650 to do well in the afternoon block too - Donny and the Moj are getting a bit tired.

Still like Sekeres and Price though.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Thank God !!! we have something else now. That's all I got to say.
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

Just because this is so great... Dumb media questions get these answers after the infamous game 7 too many men loss...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I'm no fan of today's Don Cherry but he was a fucking beauty back then.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nh ... adio-games

Personally I feel we've been spoiled with two superb game callers and one legend in shorty, hughson and robson. While i dont like to criticize any one doing a job that may sound/look easy but is actually very difficult, i wasnt a fan of the last tandem. I found that the call regularly lagged behind the play and we didnt get players name until after the goal was scored (ie)"and they score...horvat off a pass from granlund". I want the play by play to be as up to the second as possible "granlund to horvat he scores". Sounds like a little nit picky thing but it is huge for my enjoyment of the broadcast. The color after goals often seemed forced and sounded prescripted.
I dont listen to the Giants games so not familiar with Batchelor as a play by play man. Anyone else?
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I remember Batchelor used to do the "sports updates" segments during commercial breaks - very monotone, not very interesting to listen to.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Mondi wrote:I would have brought Larschied back for a few guest spots, for SURE!

Tomlinson and Abbott were a little beige.
Tommy Larschied was great. Took him a couple of years to convert to hockey but once he did, awesome!
Ya, you could say a wee bit of a homer but he was able to translate the feel of the game via radio, something
that is a rare commodity.
He's 77 now but it wasn't his age that slowed him down, it was that nasty Crohns disease that made it almost impossible to travel so much.
But for sure, man. A few guest spots would have brought some magic back :)
"evolution"
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

micky107 wrote:August, 1964; I was 6 and getting ready for my first year in hockey.
Was listening to all the chaos on the old radio when the Beatles were at Empire. It was insane.
Sounded scary to a kid. People getting trampled, you could here all the screaming, Red Robinson trying to talk over it all.
Wonder what HW was doing at the time. ;)
I was sitting at one of the betting booths acting as a shill. Could hear the Beatles barely due to screaming
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Gilman joins TSN with Sekeres and Blake Price in the station’s new afternoon drive show. :o

TSN 1040 hires former #Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman as an analyst/insider, part-time co-host

Gilman will join Matt Sekeres and Blake Price – the station’s new afternoon drive show – Wednesdays throughout the hockey season. He will typically join the afternoon show in studio for a couple of hours Gray says, but will also do some co-hosting.

The 52-year-old is no stranger to the all-sports radio station, having co-hosted 1040’s NHL free agency show on July 1, as well as coming on as a guest with Sekeres and Price for a couple of hours in August.

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/tsn-1040 ... nce-gilman
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

LOL at Gilman, Blotto McKenzies favourite
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:LOL at Gilman, Blotto McKenzies favourite

I have no favourites in this market.

RIP Neil Macrae
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I guess I haven't been giving Elliotte Friedman enough credit.
Heard him live on Sportsnet 650am this morning, (can't find a link yet).
The guy is absolutely remarkable. His knowledge and memory on players and their contracts, current and past, and all the comparables is impressive. Put the interviewers to shame. Smart guy!
I suppose I just got too use to only hearing him on the crappy TV panels.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mondi wrote:Is it responsible to local media to report speculation that any player, in this case: Rodin and Goldobin, will leave the team for Europe if the don't make the NHL?

Especially since Goldobin has two years left on his contract and can't just opt out. Goldobin' agent says he's staying.

Rodin may have an out clause to return to Sweden if cut but his agent has indicated he wants to stay in North America. Perhaps hoping if cut he doesn't clear waivers. But in any event his agent saying no, he'll stay in North America.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Is Jason Botchford the Spokesman for Bubbles, Nuckles and Ruffles? Man, does Botch like to Bitch
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau