Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by Betamax » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:03 pm

ClamRussel wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Mondi wrote:I take your point. Many would share your view.

My only response is that I don't care if hockeys gets any bigger in the States. The events and personalities that drive popularity in the States are often despicable people these days.

The game is great, and it is strong in Canada (and some places in the USA). I'd rather keep it that way than grow it because of Kardashian-style media hype. And from a selfish perspective, hockey gaining popularity in the USA makes it hard on Team Canada.

But, I will return to my point that I'm not saying Botch was not permitted to print it (due to some code), he just shouldn't have because it was crass. Which I think we both agree.
I would suggest that was a reason to publish it. The old guard seems too pre-occupied with being PC. It's nice to see the new beats wearing generation not adhering to those traditions. That's part of the reason why he's the number one beat canucks' reporter in this market. :mex:
Some traditions in society are worth continuing...like showing class. As a reporter (in any field) you don't print everything you hear, it's not about being PC, it's called discretion.
I dunno ...... there seems to be some disconnect between your comments and the avatar you've chosen to, duh, represent yourself here.

I'm not writing, I'm just writing. :mex:

User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by ClamRussel » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:55 pm

Betamax wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Mondi wrote:I take your point. Many would share your view.

My only response is that I don't care if hockeys gets any bigger in the States. The events and personalities that drive popularity in the States are often despicable people these days.

The game is great, and it is strong in Canada (and some places in the USA). I'd rather keep it that way than grow it because of Kardashian-style media hype. And from a selfish perspective, hockey gaining popularity in the USA makes it hard on Team Canada.

But, I will return to my point that I'm not saying Botch was not permitted to print it (due to some code), he just shouldn't have because it was crass. Which I think we both agree.
I would suggest that was a reason to publish it. The old guard seems too pre-occupied with being PC. It's nice to see the new beats wearing generation not adhering to those traditions. That's part of the reason why he's the number one beat canucks' reporter in this market. :mex:
Some traditions in society are worth continuing...like showing class. As a reporter (in any field) you don't print everything you hear, it's not about being PC, it's called discretion.
I dunno ...... there seems to be some disconnect between your comments and the avatar you've chosen to, duh, represent yourself here.

I'm not writing, I'm just writing. :mex:
Well, since you fancy yourself a writer, perhaps you've come across irony.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 22770
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by Strangelove » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:53 pm

ClamRussel wrote:
Betamax wrote: I dunno ...... there seems to be some disconnect between your comments and the avatar you've chosen to, duh, represent yourself here.

I'm not writing, I'm just writing. :mex:
Well, since you fancy yourself a writer, perhaps you've come across irony.
Perhaps he's come across THIS:

Image
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by Betamax » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:21 pm

Don Taylor & Craig MacEwen have been released by Sportsnet. Taylor is on the air until Friday and then he'll be full-time with his radio hosting duties on TEAM Radio. Image

User avatar
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP
Posts: 9490
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by The Brown Wizard » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:28 pm

Strangelove wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Betamax wrote: I dunno ...... there seems to be some disconnect between your comments and the avatar you've chosen to, duh, represent yourself here.

I'm not writing, I'm just writing. :mex:
Well, since you fancy yourself a writer, perhaps you've come across irony.
Perhaps he's come across THIS:

Image
What the...FUCK...

Is that???
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 22770
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by Strangelove » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:12 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Betamax wrote: I dunno ...... there seems to be some disconnect between your comments and the avatar you've chosen to, duh, represent yourself here.

I'm not writing, I'm just writing. :mex:
Well, since you fancy yourself a writer, perhaps you've come across irony.
Perhaps he's come across THIS:

Image
What the...FUCK...

Is that???
Well it ...LOOKS... a helluvalot like Betamax's heroines Cory Schneider and Pierre McGuire!

Don't judge Danny, don't judge....
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Puck
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:40 pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by Puck » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:52 am

Betamax wrote:Don Taylor & Craig MacEwen have been released by Sportsnet. Taylor is on the air until Friday and then he'll be full-time with his radio hosting duties on TEAM Radio. Image
Ouch...
Not that I've been a big fan of the recent years of Taylor, but I feel bad for him. It's probably time he improved his game instead of coasting, I suppose.

ESQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2653
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by ESQ » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:47 am

Betamax wrote:Don Taylor & Craig MacEwen have been released by Sportsnet. Taylor is on the air until Friday and then he'll be full-time with his radio hosting duties on TEAM Radio.
This makes me very sad - I always thought that Taylor was one of the best highlights guys in the business - his humour was perfectly suited to rifling off a series of 5-second jokes without having to give any analysis at all. No question he was at his best when running through a highlights package at breakneck speed, as opposed to sitting in a studio questioning Garry Valk, or talking wine and celebrity birthdays with Terry David Mulligan.

Sounds like its part of a move to shut down most of SN's Western Canada "news" coverage, which means more centralization in Toronto. Which is a huge disappointment, I'd hoped that SN's focus on regional networks would improve coverage of western teams, but looks like its instead going to allow Toronto bullshit to infiltrate more regions of Canada.

Which also makes me sad :cry:

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by Betamax » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:57 am

via: https://twitter.com/DonTaylor5/status/4 ... 7667407872
Don Taylor @DonTaylor5
Will use Twitter and this account on Bmac and Taylor much more come September. Feel free to rip into Barry at any time!#BmacandTaylor2-6

5:59 AM - 6 Aug 2014
From the tweet, it looks like BmacandTaylor will remain as on air partners for the immediate future. Eventually I'd like to see Pratt eventually go back to the afternoons with Taylor so we could get a daily dose of "ADIOS MUCHACHOS" when the show signs off. Image

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 15345
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:13 pm

Love or hate the characters involved, this move is all about consolidating assets and centralizing operations. SN will be creating an eastern based new hockey central. Much like Hughson had to relocate east to do the HNIC gig, the SN team will also have to head east. I think we will see more western based cuts as they prepare for the season.

This may lead to perhaps a more unbiased approach but it will also lead to a loss of regional flare. I guess we have to wait to see what the final product looks like. I didn't mind Taylor but I really liked MacEwan. I wonder how some of the goof balls in Calgary and Edmonton will fare?
The only HW the Canucks need

ESQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2653
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by ESQ » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:20 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Love or hate the characters involved, this move is all about consolidating assets and centralizing operations. SN will be creating an eastern based new hockey central. Much like Hughson had to relocate east to do the HNIC gig, the SN team will also have to head east. I think we will see more western based cuts as they prepare for the season.

Hm interesting point, I wonder if Taylor was asked to move east and refused?

Some of the scuttlebutt suggests this is a cost-saving move (possibly as a result of over-paying for the TV rights :lol: ), so I think its more an issue of reducing content based in smaller markets. Which is so stupid, given that SN doesn't have a national channel.
I wonder how some of the goof balls in Calgary and Edmonton will fare?
Those jokers are the worst. I know Hughson's CBC contract ends this year, you gotta think he'll return to Rogers. If he goes from one game a week to a full rotation again (3-4 games per week), that would be enough to eliminate at least one of the Alberta broadcast teams.

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 11320
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by Topper » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:50 pm

What about that Roger Millions cocksucker?

Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by Betamax » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:16 pm

Topper wrote:What about that Roger Millions cocksucker?

Uhhhhhhhhhh, Topper, you do know we are living in modern times where LGBT rights exist, EH? Image

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by Betamax » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:41 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Love or hate the characters involved, this move is all about consolidating assets and centralizing operations. SN will be creating an eastern based new hockey central. Much like Hughson had to relocate east to do the HNIC gig, the SN team will also have to head east. I think we will see more western based cuts as they prepare for the season.

This may lead to perhaps a more unbiased approach but it will also lead to a loss of regional flare. I guess we have to wait to see what the final product looks like. I didn't mind Taylor but I really liked MacEwan. I wonder how some of the goof balls in Calgary and Edmonton will fare?
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I think what we are going to see is a shift from local bias with strong eastern influences) to even stronger eastern (Centre of the Universe) biases and programming .......... :hmmm:

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 5039
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by Reefer2 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:48 pm

With everything on line who even watches SN or TSN?

I only watch the game and could care less about the talking heads.

But fairly typical of eastern based companies and it would be the same if it was western based.

Post Reply