So the Axe falls.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: So the Axe falls.

Post by wienerdog »

Terry Murray done in LA:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_ ... ckey-.html

edit: Is the firing-est ever season in NHL hockey? We're not even half-way through the season yet...
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Don't really want to see LA get "woken up" ala St Louis. They can be a powerhouse if they sort out their issues.
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
Puck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Puck »

That's exactly what I was thinking re: LA.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

So Helene Elliott (a pretty good source for the SoCal teams) is saying that Darryl Sutter is in as the new Kings coach - the team is working with him on a deal now.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

dbr wrote:So Helene Elliott (a pretty good source for the SoCal teams) is saying that Darryl Sutter is in as the new Kings coach - the team is working with him on a deal now.
From one defensive coach to the next.

Starting to become quite clear that the GM is the problem in LA.

Has a great core with a ton of offensive talent, then surrounds them with total pluggers and asked them to play a defensive style.

I have no doubt that Sutter will right the ship in the short term, but they are still going to be a team that doesn't move the puck very well and gets next to nothing from it's bottom6.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Great appointment ...from our perspective. There's a guy that sucks the very marrow from a hockey player. Have u ever seen a more miserable sod
cheers
Rokker
AHL Prospect

Post by Rokker »

Dean Lombardi is about to commit career suicide if he goes with a retread Sutter.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Rokker wrote:Dean Lombardi is about to commit career suicide if he goes with a retread Sutter.

In a way it's kind of funny.

He apparently had a meeting with the players and "ripped them a new one" for not playing hard enough and getting Murray fired. Now he has hired a notorious task master type coach.

The move almost seems spiteful.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Potatoe1 wrote:In a way it's kind of funny.

He apparently had a meeting with the players and "ripped them a new one" for not playing hard enough and getting Murray fired. Now he has hired a notorious task master type coach.

The move almost seems spiteful.
Totally agree. What's also funny is that it got out that DL had a really hard time firing a friend in Terry Murray, so he goes out and hires another one in Dutter.. sort of similar to how Sutter hired his own brother after it was already obvious the team he built was a coach killer.

We'll see if firing a friend gets any easier for Lombardi next time around.. if in fact he has the chance.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

dbr wrote: Totally agree. What's also funny is that it got out that DL had a really hard time firing a friend in Terry Murray, so he goes out and hires another one in Dutter.. sort of similar to how Sutter hired his own brother after it was already obvious the team he built was a coach killer.

We'll see if firing a friend gets any easier for Lombardi next time around.. if in fact he has the chance.

Lombardi may want to fire himself...

Look at LA's point distribution. They get almost zero offensively outside of their top 5 forwards and top 2 defenseman.

Their second line isn't great and their bottom6 is basically 2, 4th lines.

They have 2 high end defenseman but get nothing offensively from the other 5.

Where is all the youth that teams was supposedly amassing through all those losing seasons?

Kopitar, DD, JJ, Brown and Richards, are all fantastic hockey players, but what else do they have?

I'm just not seeing it.
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Weren't Darryl Sutter and Dean Lombardi the management team that built the sharks into the powerhouse they were 10 years ago or so?
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Kopitar, DD, JJ, Brown and Richards, are all fantastic hockey players, but what else do they have?

I'm just not seeing it.
The Teubert/Penner swap was pretty godawful for the Kings.

edit- LOL the Oilers also got a 1st and a conditional 2nd for Penner.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Potatoe1 wrote: I'm just not seeing it.
Nope, me neither.

I called this at the beginning if the season, when many sports writers were predicting a huge season from the Kings. I've followed them somewhat since we met them in the post-season a couple of years ago and something is off with that team.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

wienerdog wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote: I'm just not seeing it.
Nope, me neither.

I called this at the beginning if the season, when many sports writers were predicting a huge season from the Kings. I've followed them somewhat since we met them in the post-season a couple of years ago and something is off with that team.
I think it has something to do with their star D man missing so many team meetings because his head can't fit through the door.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Benjo wrote:
The Teubert/Penner swap was pretty godawful for the Kings.

edit- LOL the Oilers also got a 1st and a conditional 2nd for Penner.
Not that Tuebert is an amazing prospect (altho pretty decent) that 1RP is a heavy price to pay for a guy that doesn't produce and sits on your third/fourth line.

As for Sutter, WTF is with all the hate?

I'm a marginal Sutter fan if he is just the coach and doesn't go Keenan on the team pulling double duty. I actually think he will provide much more to the team than Crow/Murray.