So the Axe falls.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

isle_nuck
CC Rookie

So the Axe falls.

Post by isle_nuck »

Two coaches fired today. Neither really a surprise:

Boudreau out, Hunter in:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=381460

Maurice out, Muller in:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=381464

Maurice? Meh. That one was coming a mile away. Not really going to make a difference, but good to see Muller get a shot.

Boudreau? Fucking Ovechkin, that petulant bastard. He got a good coach fired because he didn't want to backcheck or play defence and pouted like a baby. Fuck him. He just dropped big in my books.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: So the Axe falls.

Post by Potatoe1 »

Finally...

Took OV and / or Semin in most of my pools...
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Maurice? Meh. That one was coming a mile away. Not really going to make a difference, but good to see Muller get a shot.[/quote]

Prior to AV, i went out on a limb and suggested PM for the Vancouver job, that was prior to his stint in TO. i don't think so highly of him now. His sence of humour will be welcome as an analyst.
isle_nuck wrote:Boudreau? Fucking Ovechkin, that petulant bastard. He got a good coach fired because he didn't want to backcheck or play defence and pouted like a baby. Fuck him. He just dropped big in my books.
Here's an idea, utilize the skills of the players you have to the best of their abilities.You can talk about back checking and defensive responsibility all you want, but when the personnel decisions were made, run and gun was the sought after flavour. What Washington really needs is defensemen, and that is the GM's job, not the coach's.

This not the same as Butter asking his aging star to back check.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Carlyle is next.

And ironically it will be the Canucks that put the final nail in Arniel's casket tomorrow night as they will want to snap one of these guys up.
2011..... the one that got away.
isle_nuck
CC Rookie

Post by isle_nuck »

Topper wrote: Here's an idea, utilize the skills of the players you have to the best of their abilities.You can talk about back checking and defensive responsibility all you want, but when the personnel decisions were made, run and gun was the sought after flavour. What Washington really needs is defensemen, and that is the GM's job, not the coach's.

I agree, you coach/play towards the skill set of your players. But that didn't work, so they tried something new. (Although, perhaps they pulled the trigger too early after getting KO'ed by Halak playing over his head).

Trying something new makes sense. However, Ovechkin didn't want to, so he pissed around. If any of us sulked around our workplace and led a bit of a mutiny against our boss, we would have been fired, not the boss (Yes, I realize this is sport though and most real life rules don't exist). The proper move would have been to sit down with McPhee and Boudreau and have a proper meeting; you know act like a captain and bring the concerns of he and his teammates to the admin like a professional and bring about the change he wanted that way.

Yzerman, Modano and many others have the rings to prove that Ovechkin not adapting is the wrong move.

(I also agree that McPhee needed to bring in more defence. Bringing in Hannah last year was a nothing move)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

isle_nuck wrote:
Topper wrote: Here's an idea, utilize the skills of the players you have to the best of their abilities.You can talk about back checking and defensive responsibility all you want, but when the personnel decisions were made, run and gun was the sought after flavour. What Washington really needs is defensemen, and that is the GM's job, not the coach's.

I agree, you coach/play towards the skill set of your players. But that didn't work, so they tried something new. (Although, perhaps they pulled the trigger too early after getting KO'ed by Halak playing over his head).

Trying something new makes sense. However, Ovechkin didn't want to, so he pissed around. If any of us sulked around our workplace and led a bit of a mutiny against our boss, we would have been fired, not the boss (Yes, I realize this is sport though and most real life rules don't exist). The proper move would have been to sit down with McPhee and Boudreau and have a proper meeting; you know act like a captain and bring the concerns of he and his teammates to the admin like a professional and bring about the change he wanted that way.

Yzerman, Modano and many others have the rings to prove that Ovechkin not adapting is the wrong move.

(I also agree that McPhee needed to bring in more defence. Bringing in Hannah last year was a nothing move)
The young personnel in Washington were brought in to run and gun. That requires a goaltender to stand on his head and make the big saves for you. The Caps never had that.

McPhee's mistakes have been not getting the defence and goaltending needed for the run and gun, as a result Boudreau tried switching to a more defensive style and did not have the line up for it.

It is a case of a coach/management changing the direction of the team without the horses for it.

OV is not an aging Stevie Y or Modano that needs to alter their style to stay at the top of their game. He is the most dynamic offensive player in the game and Boudreau's attempt to shorten the lead on his thoroughbreds and turn them into draught horses has landed him exactly where he should be. Unemployed.

dangler
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dangler »

Topper wrote:
OV is not an aging Stevie Y or Modano that needs to alter their style to stay at the top of their game. He is the most dynamic offensive player in the game ...............
WAS the most dynamic and offensive player in the game, he seems to be going downhill, and not just statistically
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

dangler wrote:
WAS the most dynamic and offensive player in the game, he seems to be going downhill, and not just statistically
Perhaps trying to get his coach fired has something to do with it?

Watching OV play at GM place a few weeks back he looked like the most Dynamic player I have seen live and I have seen almost everyone play over the last decade.

I'm rather amused by that fact that far less talented players like Kessel, Lupal, Neil, Kopitar, Smith, Towes, etc are well ahead of him in scoring.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Potatoe1 wrote:
dangler wrote:
Perhaps trying to get his coach fired has something to do with it?

Watching OV play at GM place a few weeks back he looked like the most Dynamic player I have seen live and I have seen almost everyone play over the last decade.

I'm rather amused by that fact that far less talented players like Kessel, Lupal, Neil, Kopitar, Smith, Towes, etc are well ahead of him in scoring.
You don't take a .270 wetherby with a 3.5 x 10 leupold into the xmas trees...
Getting old is not for the young...
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

rats19 wrote:You don't take a .270 wetherby with a 3.5 x 10 leupold into the xmas trees...
especially when you have a one man shock and awe in the line up.

and look what happens when you do. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/ ... DL20111128

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Carlyle gets axed in Anaheim and is replaced by... Boudreau?

As reported by Sportsnet.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Different coach, nearly the same look, are they brothers? :lol:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:Carlyle is next.
I know who the puppet master is now.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

The Caps tried run and gun and failed so they decided as an organization they needed to do something different. Ovechkin wasn't willing to even TRY to tow the company line this season. I honestly had very little respect for him before, other than for his hockey talents, and this diminishes it more. He's a lousy captain and team player at this point. Until that changes the Caps won't get to the promised land. It's something that can change immediately if he simply wants it to.

It isn't just Yzerman that was successful when he realized that defensive play was necessary. Look at all most of the star players that have been on successful teams. They would all play the defensive side of the puck. From Fedorov, Modano, Hull, Forsberg, Sakic (passable defensively not as good as Forsberg), pick a Boston Bruin, pick a Vancouver canuck, Hossa, Toews, Crosby, etc etc etc. Those lessons have not been learned by Ovechkin or Heatley or (IMO) Nash. It's a lesson some young St. Louis Blues are learning right now from one of the masters at getting one way players to introduce themselves ot the goaltender on a regular basis. The game has changed since the 80's and for a team to be successful the guys getting the minutes have to play on the defensive side of the puck.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

One word describes Ovechkin to a T. Russian.