Waiver Wire

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Waiver Wire

Post by damonberryman »

I think perception of the goon aspect is changing. Chara is simply unique. He is without doubt the best overall D in the NHL. The fact he has been traded twice shows how little thought goes into the trades at times. Players like Thornton are on the way out but so are moments like Marchand and Salo. The NHL is setting a higher bar with this stuff. Many of us like fights but people will usually want the bully put down. The expose on the Bruins did them more damage than I could have guessed. So did Shanahan when he used the word 'predatory' to describe the low bridge hit. Since that happened there was a Govenors meeting and I am guessing Boston has been told to clean up their act. Stewarts show or whatever it was made them a joke. Julien looked like the village idiot and Marchand like his challenged cousin. It is changing. I think they are going to call the whole playoff the same way they have called the year. No whistle in the pocket. The Bruins are losing their mojo. TT is digging its grave. I just watched a Boston Sports writer for their Globe say TT is somewhere between 'naive and delusional leaning toward the latter'. They will not get out of the East and they will revert back to the choke artists they were the previous years. Worry more about the Pens and the Rangers. They look tough for coming out of the East, whereas Detroit looks very hard to beat as does Vancouver. I still believe the Canucks have played in third gear for a while and that it is quite deliberate on the part of the coaching staff. Last year when they went in to teh third down a goal or two they came out flying as if just after a rah rah from AV and company. they are not doing that stuff this year yet they are a better team. They learned some stuff last year. Save it for when it counts. Also St. Louis could surprise people. Halak is playing great net.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:The "real" book on the Canucks is to play a clean game and keep it 5 on 5.
Misconception.

6th best 5 on 5 in the league, two of the teams above are in the east.
We are 6th best 5 on 5, but have "the best" combined special teams numbers in the league.

Teams that turn things into a penalty fest are at a far greater disadvantage then those who keep the game 5 on 5.

There really is no book on beating the Canucks, they are probably the best team in the league, but the correct strategy is keep it clean and stay out of the box.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Man I'm hoping your explanation is right. But there's decades of history behind how the SC is played and that includes the way the officials have seen it called. I'm hoping you're right for the Canucks sake and heck Detroit and the Rangers will benefit to. Put me down as "I'll believe it when I see it " :lol:

Great desciption of "Julien looked like the village idiot and Marchand like his challenged cousin" LMAO
cheers
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Fred wrote: if you get my drift. There is likely 50% less calls made in the play offs which means a 50% less opportunity to garner PP goals
Incorrect.

We averaged almost 5.9 min of power play time per game through the playoffs last year, after only getting 5.6 min of power play time per game through the regular season.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Potatoe1 wrote:There really is no book on beating the Canucks, they are probably the best team in the league, but the correct strategy is keep it clean and stay out of the box.
Glad you now see it my way

The PP may be the best in the league but tied for the fourth fewest PP opportunities and they give up the 7th fewest chances against meaning Vancouver games are some of the cleanest in the league. That makes 5 on 5 all that more important.

As you have now corrected yourself, there is no real book on playing against Vancouver.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:There really is no book on beating the Canucks, they are probably the best team in the league, but the correct strategy is keep it clean and stay out of the box.
Glad you now see it my way

The PP may be the best in the league but tied for the fourth fewest PP opportunities and they give up the 7th fewest chances against meaning Vancouver games are some of the cleanest in the league. That makes 5 on 5 all that more important.

As you have now corrected yourself, there is no real book on playing against Vancouver.
Semantic debates are fun....

Oh wait, no they aren't....
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Fred wrote:Man I'm hoping your explanation is right. But there's decades of history behind how the SC is played and that includes the way the officials have seen it called. I'm hoping you're right for the Canucks sake and heck Detroit and the Rangers will benefit to. Put me down as "I'll believe it when I see it " :lol:

Great desciption of "Julien looked like the village idiot and Marchand like his challenged cousin" LMAO
I hope I am right too. I am basing this on Bettman's pride. He will not like a popular news show making fun of the Bruins and practically giving the Sedins sainthood. Still, nice to know Bitz and Duco are available.
Fifty Fifty
CC Rookie

Post by Fifty Fifty »

damonberryman wrote:
Fred wrote:Man I'm hoping your explanation is right. But there's decades of history behind how the SC is played and that includes the way the officials have seen it called. I'm hoping you're right for the Canucks sake and heck Detroit and the Rangers will benefit to. Put me down as "I'll believe it when I see it " :lol:

I hope I am right too. I am basing this on Bettman's pride. He will not like a popular news show making fun of the Bruins and practically giving the Sedins sainthood. Still, nice to know Bitz and Duco are available.
If you are referring to the Daily Show, that bit was a cut and paste job done by a regular poster to the Vancouver board on HF. I recall seeing the original episode and it was not about hockey.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Fifty Fifty wrote:
damonberryman wrote:

If you are referring to the Daily Show, that bit was a cut and paste job done by a regular poster to the Vancouver board on HF. I recall seeing the original episode and it was not about hockey.
Heard that but did not think it true. Awful slick.
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Fifty Fifty wrote: If you are referring to the Daily Show, that bit was a cut and paste job done by a regular poster to the Vancouver board on HF. I recall seeing the original episode and it was not about hockey.
What..... ??? You mean Jon Stewart doesn't change his gear during the show ?

Sonafabitch Ise been had. :crazy:
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

Potatoe1 wrote:5.9 min of power play time per game through the playoffs last year, after only getting 5.6 min of power play time per game through the regular season.
Love ya Potatoe, but how much dirtier are Canucks opponents during the playoffs vs the regular season, and how does those number break down by team?

Also, those are aggregate figures; during the regular season plays that warrant a penalty call are called more often. During the playoffs, a lower percentage of rule infringing calls are made.

But, yeah, penalty calls leading to 'nuck PP is only part of the story. Lots of other factors are significantly impactful.

Yeah yeah yeah, hockey is a tough sport and physicality is a big part of it. However, skill is too. Cheap shots, intents to injure, dirty-but-legal plays all start ramping up during the playoffs. The rules for the regular season need to be enforced the same during the playoffs. All the way through the entire playoffs.

Hockey is a fast game on a dangerous surface with lots of situations where injuries could occur. It's also a very competitive game. Some players play to incapacitate the best players on the opponent team. I can't say if it's because of personal competitiveness or is being asked by the coaching staff, but that BULLSHIT has to leave the game.

Related: coaches talking about player injuries? "Lower body problem." "Upper body problem."

Why do they do this? Because rat fncking shit bastard players will target those injuries with the intent of aggravating them and taking skilled players out of the game. It's absolutely shameful.

Toughness is no problem, injuries happen. But when teams have to be elusive when disclosing injuries so they won't be targeted for aggravation? I don't know if it's the (some) players or the coaches/staff, but... gggggrrrrrrrrrr.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^^^ Hmmm sounds like a sore spot with you Porp.

BTW did you know Bobby Clarke was the best hockey player of all time?? :thumbs:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

According to Bob MacKenzie, the Kings put Trent Hunter on waivers. For $600k, he might not be a bad option for our fourth line.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

damonberryman wrote:I think perception of the goon aspect is changing.
No doubt about it, there were 3 fights in the Kings/Yotes game last night. There was Doan/Brown, Hanzal/Richards and Bissonette/Westgarth. Guess which 2 fights they are showing in the highlight packs the next day. No one cares about the 4th liners that don't contribute anything anymore. I still love the scraps between captains like Doan/Brown though 8-)
zephyr
AHL Prospect

Post by zephyr »

I'm glad people are starting to figure it out. If I wanted to see fighting from guys that don't know how to play hockey, I watch UFC (and I do). There is no place in the league for the George Parroses, Wade Brookbanks, Darcy Hordichuks, etc. It means little to me to watch 2 goons duke it out in an almost pre-meditated fight staged during their 4 minutes of ice time.

The fights I do enjoy: ones from actual hockey players that are fuelled by passion and competitive spirit to WIN. doan vs brown. ohlund vs iginla in the playoffs, etc. That's good stuff.

Back on topic, canucks fans have overrated trent hunter for quite some time now. The guy had Brian Bradley syndrome from playing one line above his ability on a poor Islanders roster. Even then, he maxed out 35-40 points. 4th liner though? Hmmmm, maybe depending on how much he hits and how aggressive he plays.