Waiver Wire

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Waiver Wire

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

The Islanders have put Blake Comeau on waivers.

Last year on 2.5 contract. 6.1, 205 shoots right. Turns 26 in Feb.

46 points last season, -17. No points in 16 games this season, -11.

There are 9 teams that will get a stab at him before the Canucks. Interested?

(mods- I couldn't find a general waiver wire thread; either change the title to be just about Comeau or keep it as an official waiver wire thread as you see fit) [Good plan - thanks]
2011..... the one that got away.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Waiver Wire

Post by Jovocop »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:The Islanders have put Blake Comeau on waivers.

Last year on 2.5 contract. 6.1, 205 shoots right. Turns 26 in Feb.

46 points last season, -17. No points in 16 games this season, -11.

There are 9 teams that will get a stab at him before the Canucks. Interested?

(mods- I couldn't find a general waiver wire thread; either change the title to be just about Comeau or keep it as an official waiver wire thread as you see fit) [Good plan - thanks]
The Canucks have to find room to activate Raymond. I am not sure how they can fit another forward without trading or waiving one of their own.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

alternatively we could sign him for big money let him settle in the for the next couple of years, and then enjoy his skills later..hopefully. Just what we need. I bet Snow offered him to the MG on the bases of MG does reclamation projects maybe i can get a first round pick for him :D :D
cheers
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Jovocop wrote:
The Canucks have to find room to activate Raymond. I am not sure how they can fit another forward without trading or waiving one of their own.
They can perhaps move Ebbett to the LTIR, but yeah I agree, they likely don't have space on the roster and the total number of contracts in the organization is creeping up as well.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Comeau would be a reclamation project but might be a reasonably attractive one for some teams, maybe even the canucks. However, I don't think they can find the cap room. If Raymond wasn't so close to returning and was in fact questionable for the year at this point I could see the canucks being interested. But he is nearing a return so they won't be.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I don't think the Canucks are at the point where a bargain bin player who needs to play in the top nine is any kind of improvement.

Sure Comeau might be hotter on a given night than one or more of Hansen, Higgins, Booth, Raymond etc. but with all the cap space allotted to those guys and the likelihood that Comeau isn't going to be better than most of them on most nights I just don't see the point.

I'd rather see the Canucks try to find $2m for a guy like Chris Neil who can galvanize our bottom six than $2.5m for a guy who will likely float around the lineup.

That being said I hear he's a buddy of Shea Weber... :sly:

Anyway I figure he'll end up on a team desperate for skilled wingers like Calgary or Carolina, or a team dealing with injuries like Columbus. Heck I could even see the Kings taking a shot if it means they can use Dustin Penner less.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

No way to Comeau, I didn't like him as a Rocket and still don't like him. The knock on him is he has talent to burn, but coasts a lot. I hated him in junior and I've watched him twice with the Islanders and still she the same thing.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

As I figured he would, Comeau goes to Calgary.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Another promising player mismanaged and dumped by the worst franchise in the past 10-15 years.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

BladesofSteel wrote:Another promising player mismanaged and dumped by the worst franchise in the past 10-15 years.
Some thing like Grabner I suppose. I remember when the Canucks picked up Martin Gelina on waivers what a find he turned out to be. Some you win some you loose
cheers
BCExpat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by BCExpat »

The Flames assigned Paul Byron to the Abbotsford to make room for Comeau. I'm not happy about Byron being sent down, as he was one of the few bright spots on the team - young guy with talent, who was making things happen on the ice. I don't know much about Comeau, other than he had over 20 goals last season, but is -11 with 0 points this season. I'll take a "wait and see" approach to this one - not sure how it'll turn out.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I know nothing of Comeau, but this is a zero risk proposition for the Flames so why not? Frankly, they need all the cheap assets they can get their hands on so I'd be surprised if they didn't take a stab at an available (free) young guy who seems to have some upside.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Meh - Comeau seems to be a bit like Booth Lite.

Won't be surprised if he struggles - at least at first - much like DS has here.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Mark Cullen (re-entry) and Andreas Nodl put on waivers.

http://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzie/st ... 3449977856
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

'Canes grabbed Nodl.