Hmmm... it's early, but 39-24...?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Hmmm... it's early, but 39-24...?

Post by herb »

I don't like this start at all. This slow start is particulary annoying for some reason. Maybe it's still the bitter SCF taste in my mouth I don't know. But to put things in perspective, through the first 20 games over the past 4 seasons the Canucks have performed as follows.

W L OTL PTS Finished
2011/12 10 9 1 21 ???
2010/11 10 7 3 23 President's Trophy & Stanley Cup finalist
2009/10 10 10 20 3rd in Western Conference (won NW division)
2008/09 12 6 2 26 3rd in Western Conference (won NW division)

At this point I'm not concerned. I don't think we have put ourselves in a hole, and I think we're more than capable of going on a sick run where we win something like 18 of 20 like in previous years. BUT, I am more than ready for a 5-6 game winning streak where guys like Kesler, Luongo and Booth get going. Enough of this win one lose on BS.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

I figured and hoped this was the way the season would start. The SCF was really about health more than grit. I do not accept the premise that the team is gutless. However, they need all their best to play like that most of the time. I was hoping for a difficult start because they are going to be down after the way it ended and the negative press. I have never seen a team get so much hate thrown their way for so little reason. The whole thing with Roberto has got to be hurting teh team also. Someone on here (not this thread) recently posted a full statistical look at Lou. He ranks right up there. Certainly one of the better in the NHL if his career is taken into account. Sure he whiffs a few and his stick handling gives me agita every time he touches the puck. However, he can be lights out for long periods of time and I am fairly sure he will get back to that level. This team NEEDS to struggle as they move forward. They need to expose any weakness and they need to come down to Earth a bit. They are better than last year. They have not shown it yet but they will. Having Hodgson out there is starting to make a difference. More talent on the ice than last season. Even Ballard has played somewhat better. Booth was pursued by many teams for a reason and he will start to play, if he has not already. I do not think they are going to trade Schnieder any time soon and I see us making another run by New Year at the latest, but probably sooner. We are 6 and 4 over the last ten. Bit by bit they are putting the machine together. We need no changes except one reasonably talented player who can fight. That is it. Somehow we will get through. Too much talent not to.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

This weekend's doubleheader could elicit a variety of responses.

Lose both: Pant-shitting time.

Split: Meh.

Win both: We're back bitches.

If Luongo is 100% right now I would go with him against Phoenix instead of Schneids. Cory is in the groove and could steal one in a tough building against a tough team. If Lou is rusty he could still get us the W against the Yotes. I get the argument to the contrary but I think my scenario gives us the best chance to win both games.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Rumsfeld wrote:This weekend's doubleheader could elicit a variety of responses.

If Luongo is 100% right now I would go with him against Phoenix instead of Schneids. Cory is in the groove and could steal one in a tough building against a tough team. If Lou is rusty he could still get us the W against the Yotes. I get the argument to the contrary but I think my scenario gives us the best chance to win both games.
I agree 100% with the variety of responses. Kinda makes you want to take a step back and go "Wait, its just 2 games we're talking about," but I'd definitely be worried losing both.

Looking back on the Shark Tank though, Canucks have had some success there. I think it was 09/10 that San Jose was virtually unstoppable on home ice. Last year the Canucks went 1-0-0-1 in the reg season, 1-1 in the playoffs, so 2-1-0-1 last year overall. I could be mistaken, but I believe Lu had all the starts. Prior to last year I think they went 3 years without a win in San Jose. They've dominated Phoenix in their building, and Phoenix has been very hot and cold at home - 2 shutout losses already.

Though to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Lu starts both.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Rumsfeld wrote:This weekend's doubleheader could elicit a variety of responses.

I think the plan is to try and lock one down in Phoenix and hope for the best against the Sharks. A 2/3 road trim is fine, so the big concern is Lu crapping the bed against The Yotes and then the team being tired against the Sharks.

Lu had a tough time coming back after his last injury so I agree with the thinking here. He might be perfectly fine but he also might suck balls. Right now I think there is confidence in Schneider playing at least well enough to win so he is starting in the game that seems more winnable.

Also it would be a bit silly to sit a guy coming off 2 games where he gave up a total of 1 goal.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

rats19 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Here is something to cheer everyone up. We have played 20 games thus far in the season and are only 6 points out of first place overall in the NHL. Somehow it doesn't seem so bad now.
On pace for -24 ...lol

I kid, I kid.......we are on the cusp of a little run that will open eyes again and get us that lack of respect we so deserve
Well played.

The glass isn't half empty, it's half full of urine.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Potatoe1 wrote:Also it would be a bit silly to sit a guy coming off 2 games where he gave up a total of 1 goal.
Yeah, or one could argue that it would be pretty silly not to use the hot goaltender (who's been better than your other guy) against the team that's going to be firing a lot of rubber on net. It's not like one extra day off makes a difference.

I get both sides of it, but I like my plan better. Luongo is going to get torched playing his first game back against the Sharks and their firepower. The guy plays like shit coming back from injury and all we need is his confidence, which might have been improving, to go right back down to October levels.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Ropesauce
CC Rookie

Post by Ropesauce »

Another great game or two by Schneider might put a little more pressure on Luongo to come back with a strong game when AV does play him.
It is time for the Canucks to step it up and I think Schneider gives us a better chance in Phx.
CC Veteran

Post by Sticky »

Don't look now, but the Canucks are 15-3-1 since this thread started...They now only need 47 points in the remaining 44 games to reach the storied 97 point mark. Their goal dofferential is  +36 in that time. They have dealt with some significant injuries.

By many standards, they have for SOME reason had VERY few power plays, and many more penalties to kill off during that time. 

They seriously need to cool it a bit if they want to come down to a 39-24 record from Nov.17 to the end of the season.

8-)
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Southern_Canuck wrote:78 points in 63 games to reach 97 points (39-24-0)... can the Canucks do it? (Chicago finished 8th in the Western Conference with 97 points last season, and Colorado had 95 points for 8th in 2009-10)

Almost a quarter of the way into the season, and the Canucks are 9-9-1.

S_C
Since that time, the Canucks went 39-12-8

.......and in many of those loses/OT losses, the Canucks only lost due to disinterest.

Interesting.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:78 points in 63 games to reach 97 points (39-24-0)... can the Canucks do it? (Chicago finished 8th in the Western Conference with 97 points last season, and Colorado had 95 points for 8th in 2009-10)

Almost a quarter of the way into the season, and the Canucks are 9-9-1.

S_C
Since that time, the Canucks went 39-12-8

.......and in many of those loses/OT losses, the Canucks only lost due to disinterest.

Interesting.
Looks like I wasn't just "drinking the kool-aid"...
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

[quote="Potatoe1

Looks like I wasn't just "drinking the kool-aid"...[/quote]

Haha. Just to be clear though, it was that Clem guy that made the "Kool-Aid" statement and not me. As far as I go, I'm still not completely without reservation or concern, but last night's game did appease me quite a bit.