Hmmm... it's early, but 39-24...?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Hmmm... it's early, but 39-24...?

Post by Potatoe1 »

coco_canuck wrote: I'm also looking forward to seeing Raymond return. It will likely take him until the all-star break for him to find some good consistency, but he's going to be a nice addition to the top 9.

I agree.

Despite the fact that I don't think Raymond is the guy you want to be your no5 offensive forward heading into the playoffs, I still very much appreciate his 2-way game and ability to just own the puck in the offensive zone.

Despite what some seem to believe he is a great fit for this team and the style we play. He moves the puck well, he is positionaly sound, he draws penalties, he kills penalties, and he is a big help to our territorial game.

That said I expect him to absolutely suck balls for at least 15 games and I'm sure the bed wetters will swear he will never return to form.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I haven't seen a lot of bedwetting. With a few exceptions I've seen people pointing out the obvious, which is that we've been playing poorly for a quarter of a season. Obviously, fans being fans, there is some frustration there. I think there is pretty much universal opinion on the board that we are much better than we're playing, but I guess being smug and imagining you're on an island of rationality amidst a sea of craziness makes you feel better, even if it's completely invented on your part. I agree with your posts more often than not Pot, but the bedwetter schtick is getting tired and old. The team is sucking. Obviously they should improve, but I'm pretty damn sure you didn't have them pencilled in for 11th place after 19 games.

I suppose we should all just stop posting until the team is winning regularly again, since pretty much any criticism or concern over the team underperforming makes you something between an immature idiot and an emotional wreck.

Positive posts only from now on, guys. No more observations that don't make people feel better.

BTW, Kesler is not getting 4 or 5 good scoring chances a game. And questioning Luongo's game and whether it's as solid as it used to be is perfectly reasonable at this point. You'd have to be out of your mind to think he's the player he used to be. Reflexes fade in the 30s, and his mental weakness is glaringly obvious. Many many players decline in their 30s, goaltenders included, but yeah, it's crazy to think that could be happening to our guy. I'd say there's a better chance of Coco and Pot disagreeing about something as there is we'll ever see the Luongo of 2007 again.
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Raymond will help but he'll be so far behind the 8-ball when he returns that I really doubt he'll make much of an impact this season. There was still doubt a few weeks ago as to whether he'd ever play again.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I've been sitting in my dirty ol pee pants ..all day
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Rumsfeld wrote:Raymond will help but he'll be so far behind the 8-ball when he returns that I really doubt he'll make much of an impact this season. There was still doubt a few weeks ago as to whether he'd ever play again.
You didn't smoke another one after you burned out?

You're countering the positivity with a whole lotta negativity.

Harshing mellows over here Rummy.

If Raymond returns in mid-to-late December, there will be between 50-40 games left in the season.

You think it's more than likely that he will not find any sort of effectiveness by the time the playoffs roll along?

It's gonna be a tough year for him, but all that matters is that he can help us in some way come playoff time, and there's plenty of time to get him healthy enough to do that.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

coco_canuck wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Raymond will help but he'll be so far behind the 8-ball when he returns that I really doubt he'll make much of an impact this season. There was still doubt a few weeks ago as to whether he'd ever play again.
You didn't smoke another one after you burned out?

If Raymond returns in mid-to-late December, there will be between 50-40 games left in the season.

You think it's more than likely that he will not find any sort of effectiveness by the time the playoffs roll along?

It's gonna be a tough year for him, but all that matters is that he can help us in some way come playoff time, and there's plenty of time to get him healthy enough to do that.
I just think he's coming off a terrible injury and he was a soft player before that, so he might be extra tentative. I'm not holding my breath on him returning to form this season.

We sure could use him on the defensive side of the puck though, so I hope your rosy prognosis is spot-on.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Last edited by Potatoe1 on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I'm pretty sure you said we'd be a bit above .500 in October and start tearing it up in November.
How many goalies with Lu's track record were done at 31?
There are no goalies like Lou with Lou's track record. He is an enigma in that he has consistently performed well numbers-wise but has also consistently shit the bed in the playoffs and gets consistently lit up like no other elite goaltender I've ever seen. There are simply no comparables, but I don't know how you can feel like his game is progressing when he is bellyflopping twice a game, can't freeze a puck to save his life, and spends more time on his knees than Royaldude's male roomate.

Luongo peaked in 2007 and 2008, before that groin injury. He had great numbers last year but that was by far the best defensive and offensive team he's ever played behind. He had a lot of real WTF moments last year as well, and his playoffs famously left a lot to be desired. But I don't want to drag this into another Luongo debate.

Kesler has had some chances around the net, but for the most part this year he's wristing it off the glass or the opposing defenceman from way out. He gets one or two good chances a game right now at best, and he plays with the Sedins on the PP. You are totally overstating his offensive looks.

I am not a babby, and in fact I have never encountered a babby (glare). And stop smiling at me. It's weird and unprofessional. :o
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

coco_canuck wrote:You didn't smoke another one after you burned out?

I probably should have ripped another one. Consider my mellows harshed.

It's like Buzz Killington and Debbie Downer had awkward, frustrating, unsatisfying sex and my posts today were the post-coitus wrap up.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Rumsfeld wrote:I'm pretty sure you said we'd be a bit above .500 in October and start tearing it up in November.
I recall saying 500 and then trending up.

Like you I'm too lazy to look though.
Luongo peaked in 2007 and 2008, before that groin injury. He had great numbers last year but that was by far the best defensive and offensive team he's ever played behind.
Yes and it's almost exactly the same team we currently have which is prety much exactly my point in this thread.

This is the exact same team that had one of the best regular seasons ever last year, and then went to the final. Anyone who thinks they wont be a top team this year is off their rocker.
Kesler has had some chances around the net, but for the most part this year he's wristing it off the glass or the opposing defenceman from way out. He gets one or two good chances a game right now at best, and he plays with the Sedins on the PP. You are totally overstating his offensive looks.
I disagree.

He is getting a ton of shots and chances. Everything is just a split second too late or a few inches wide. Against Chicago for example he had 2 shots on goal but 4 or 5 missed shots and 4 or 5 shots blocked. Further to that he threw another half dozen or so passes that were just a touch off as well.

He is all over the puck and there is a ton going on in the offensive zone when he's on the ice, but just about everything is being bumbled. If he were invisible there would be cause for concern but he's not at all. In fact he's been one of their most prominent players, just not necessarily in a positive way.

That will change, I'm not sure of much but I'm sure of that.

I am not a babby, and in fact I have never encountered a babby (glare). And stop smiling at me. It's weird and unprofessional. :o
:lol:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Potatoe1 wrote:This is the exact same team that had one of the best regular seasons ever last year, and then went to the final. Anyone who thinks they wont be a top team this year is off their rocker.
This we agree on. They certainly should be a top team, and I have consistently expressed this. The difference is that last year Kesler and our defence were incredible. Both will improve no doubt, the question is whether they return to last year's form. I also don't think The Sedins are as deadly five-on-five as they used to be.

First place is going to be a long shot even if they do pick it up bigtime. Teams that finish in the top two spots are much more likely to go deep and win the West. Winning our crappy division and finishing third isn't going to instill that much confidence in me. That wouldn't really be "top team" material in my books.

To be frank, I don't really care much about the regular season at this point. I just want to see the team dominating even strength the way they did last year, get their timing back, and kick playoff arse.
Maybe coco and I agree because we're always right?
Yeah, I'm not so sure that's it! So have you guys set a date yet?

(big shiteating grin)
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

dhabums wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:
dhabums wrote:Wow, am I surprised you didn't mention 91 pts made it the 2 seasons previous to 09/10. That would really undercut the point.
8th place in the West is currently trending to 95 points:

Sports Club Stats

S_C
Trending? Perhaps CDC is more your speed? Nothing is trending Tweet Buzzword, nothing.
So when I debunk your idiotic comment about 91 points by showing you that it is likely that it will take 95 points this season, this is what you come back with? I notice you didn't mention that over the years since the lockout it has required 95, 96, 91, 91, 95, then 97 to make the playoffs.

In fact, if you want to blow a few gaskets, check this out... ye olde American Thanksgiving standings compared to final standings - teams that fell out in red, teams that replaced them in bold:

2010-11 (Nov 25, 2010)
Columbus - Vancouver
Phoenix - San Jose
Colorado - Detroit
Detroit - Anaheim
St. Louis - Nashville
Los Angeles - Phoenix
Vancouver - Los Angeles
Chicago - Chicago (97)

2009-10 (Nov 26, 2009)
San Jose - San Jose
Chicago - Chicago
Colorado - Vancouver
Calgary - Phoenix
Los Angeles - Detroit
Nashville - Los Angeles
Dallas - Nashville
Phoenix - Colorado (95)

2008-09 (Nov 27, 2008)
San Jose - San Jose
Detroit - Detroit
Vancouver - Vancouver
Calgary - Chicago
Anaheim - Calgary
Chicago - St. Louis
Minnesota - Columbus
Nashville - Anaheim (91)

2007-08 (Nov 22, 2007)
Detroit - Detroit
Colorado - San Jose
San Jose - Minnesota
Chicago - Anaheim
Nashville - Dallas
Minnesota - Colorado
Vancouver - Calgary
Dallas - Nashville (91)

2006-07 (Nov 23, 2006)
Anaheim - Detroit
Nashville - Anaheim
Edmonton - Vancouver
San Jose - Nashville
Dallas - San Jose
Detroit - Dallas
Minnesota - Minnesota
Vancouver - Calgary (96)

2005-06 (Nov 24, 2005)
Detroit - Detroit
Vancouver - Dallas
Los Angeles - Calgary
Nashville - Nashville
Calgary - San Jose
Dallas - Anaheim
Edmonton - Colorado
Colorado - Edmonton (95)

So, over the last six seasons Western Conference teams have a 29% (2 of 7) chance to make the playoffs if they are 9th or worse at American Thanksgiving. Three quarters of a season left, but essentially 6 of 8 spots statistically locked up by Nov 24 this season, if history is a guide.

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a great day for hockey!
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Rumsfeld wrote: This we agree on. They certainly should be a top team, and I have consistently expressed this. The difference is that last year Kesler and our defence were incredible. Both will improve no doubt, the question is whether they return to last year's form.
Why wouldn't they, it's the same group?

Kesler has been a ppg player for 2.5 years and it's basically the same defence that has won the division 3x in a row.

I also don't think The Sedins are as deadly five-on-five as they used to be.
They weren"t last year either.

But they are good 5v5 and the best power play duo in the league. The sedins have nothing to do with our 5v5 decline this year, all of it can be atributed to lines 2 and 3.

First place is going to be a long shot even if they do pick it up bigtime. Teams that finish in the top two spots are much more likely to go deep and win the West.
To be frank, I don't really care much about the regular season at this point.

Uhhh...
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Uhhh...
I mean from a stats/pride standpoint. I want them to finish as high as possible because it makes postseason success much more likely, but it really isn't going to convince me of much as far as whether we can win a Cup.

I just have a sinking feeling that getting to the Final two years in a row is unlikely... and I felt that way before our shitty start. That's probably why I am not particularly stoked. Last year was our shot and we fucking blew it and got fucked in the ass by Gregory Campbell's dad and the hockey Gods. It's straight truthiness. And now I have to go because I'm half-cut.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: I haven't seen a lot of bedwetting. With a few exceptions I've seen people pointing out the obvious, which is that we've been playing poorly for a quarter of a season. Obviously, fans being fans, there is some frustration there. I think there is pretty much universal opinion on the board that we are much better than we're playing, but I guess being smug and imagining you're on an island of rationality amidst a sea of craziness makes you feel better, even if it's completely invented on your part.
It's called the strawmen argument Rummy!

If fans show any concern about Canuck performance.... well they're wetting the bed.

If fans say Canucks need more toughness... well they're sayin they want 3 goons in the Top 6. ;)
Rumsfeld wrote: The team is sucking. Obviously they should improve, but I'm pretty damn sure you didn't have them pencilled in for 11th place after 19 games.
The Great Strangelove predicted (in the Predictions Thread) that your Canucks would be in 11th at Xmas.

The Great Strangelove is not bragging because the Great Strangelove knows it's not Xmas yet.

The Great Strangelove is just trying to interact socially.
Rumsfeld wrote: I'd say there's a better chance of Coco and Pot disagreeing about something as there is we'll ever see the Luongo of 2007
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Coco, Pots, y'know I love you guys, but SOMEONE had to say it!
____
Try to focus on someday.