Which players has MG brought to Vcr

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Which players has MG brought to Vcr

Post by Fred »

I can't recall all the players MG brought FA/Trades in and how they faired (not counting draft picks)

Ballard
Booth
Sturm
Glass
Bitz
Ebbett
Lapierre
Higgins
Sulzer
Pinnizotto
Malhotra
Weise
Lack
Hamhuis
Alberts
Rome ?
Volapatti
Bernier

I'm trying to figure out his success rate
cheers
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Which players has MG brought to Vcr

Post by Corb »

Mathieu Schneider
Pavol Demitra
Kyle Wellwood
Michael Samuelson
Ryan Johnson
Shane O'Brien

there are more I'm sure
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

Mats Sundin
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Off the top of my head...

Ehrhoff

You should also include new contracts / contract extensions...
Sedins
Bieksa
Kesler
Luongo
Edler

I know this is from another board, but has a lot of info on Gillis' transactions: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=577075
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Looking at that list, there's a lot of movement and not all the moves have worked out - but - he really hasn't given up a lot of assets along the way.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I still wonder how we'd view MG's tenure here if Mats had actually accepted that 2-yr deal at 10 per... any other player would have been all over that.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Rumsfeld wrote:I still wonder how we'd view MG's tenure here if Mats had actually accepted that 2-yr deal at 10 per... any other player would have been all over that.
Meh, it doesn't matter.

The only thing that matters is the record since he's been here and the state of things moving forward.

The record speaks for it's self. 3 division titles, 1 presidents trophy, 2 first round victories and a trip to the final. One could easily argue that tis has been the best 3 year stint in franchise history.

The future also looks bright with almost all of our core players locked up and several good young players on cheap deals (Hodgson, Schneider, Weiss, Tanev). We also have pretty much all our draft picks moving forward and a couple decent prospects (Lack, Jensen, Polasek).

The organization is really in no danger until the Sedins go into decline, how Gillis positions the team for that inevitable scenario will truly define how good of a manger he is.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:I still wonder how we'd view MG's tenure here if Mats had actually accepted that 2-yr deal at 10 per... any other player would have been all over that.
Meh, it doesn't matter.

The only thing that matters is the record since he's been here and the state of things moving forward.

The record speaks for it's self. 3 division titles, 1 presidents trophy, 2 first round victories and a trip to the final. One could easily argue that tis has been the best 3 year stint in franchise history.

The future also looks bright with almost all of our core players locked up and several good young players on cheap deals (Hodgson, Schneider, Weiss, Tanev). We also have pretty much all our draft picks moving forward and a couple decent prospects (Lack, Jensen, Polasek).

The organization is really in no danger until the Sedins go into decline, how Gillis positions the team for that inevitable scenario will truly define how good of a manger he is.
This as much about Pro scouting as it is Gillis but after this time they're all Gillis scouts. That's a great article from the HF Forum
cheers
nucksin7
AHL Prospect

Post by nucksin7 »

Potatoe1 wrote: The organization is really in no danger until the Sedins go into decline, how Gillis positions the team for that inevitable scenario will truly define how good of a manger he is.
Or rather, until the Oilers mature.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

nucksin7 wrote:
Or rather, until the Oilers mature.
Even if the Oilers do have a dominant team down the road it will have very little impact on us unless we continually meet them in the playoffs ala Chicago.

Further to that the Oilers will need a quality goaltender and a few high end defenceman or they will just be another quality club, and not the dominant team people are worried about. Their first line could be the best in the game but it will take a lot more then just that to rise above the rest of the conference.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'm not to enamored with what we have comimg down the pipe to be replacing the Sedins as they start to decline. Sorry to say, but Cody ain't no Sedin. I like Cody, but he ain't the next coming. It's pretty much Cody vs Hall/Nugent-Hopkins/Eberle/Paajarvi/Omark/Gagner. Way too early to call Jensen a sure thing. Gillis needs to fatten the future a little bit more, cause After the Sedins start to slip, the Oilers will be eating us for Breakfast for many years, post Sedin dominance.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

RoyalDude wrote:I'm not to enamored with what we have comimg down the pipe to be replacing the Sedins as they start to decline. Sorry to say, but Cody ain't no Sedin. I like Cody, but he ain't the next coming. It's pretty much Cody vs Hall/Nugent-Hopkins/Eberle/Paajarvi/Omark/Gagner. Way too early to call Jensen a sure thing. Gillis needs to fatten the future a little bit more, cause After the Sedins start to slip, the Oilers will be eating us for Breakfast for many years, post Sedin dominance.
Picture the Sedins in 2001, no look at Hodgson. Picture the Sedins and 2004 and then think of Hodgson. It's not that bad and if there are some other prospects developing such as Jensen and such it may not be that bad.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I think MG has done a good job as GM, but I wouldn't say great. I don't know if he's GM of the year, but the team did do very well last year. Overall, he has played it fairly safe and just kept the core players he inherited from previous regime (Lou, Sedins, Edler, Kes, Burr, Salo, etc). He brought in a few guys who were decent temporary fill in players like: Sundin, Demo, Welly, SOB, Samuelsson, Torres, etc. His best pickup was probably Erhoff, but he had to let Hoff walk cuz he basically kind of shot himself in the foot by acquiring Baltard and couldn't really afford to keep both. Gotta say, Higgy and Mad Max look like great pickups now and hopefully they'll be with the team for a long time. Hammer is a great signing, but that was basically a freebie cuz Dan wanted to play here. The questionable pickups right now would be Booth and Baltard; for Booth, it's still early and Ballard has played quite a bit better this year, but their contracts might handcup the team for a long time.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

RoyalDude wrote:I'm not to enamored with what we have comimg down the pipe to be replacing the Sedins as they start to decline. Sorry to say, but Cody ain't no Sedin. I like Cody, but he ain't the next coming. It's pretty much Cody vs Hall/Nugent-Hopkins/Eberle/Paajarvi/Omark/Gagner. Way too early to call Jensen a sure thing. Gillis needs to fatten the future a little bit more, cause After the Sedins start to slip, the Oilers will be eating us for Breakfast for many years, post Sedin dominance.
The Sedins are just 31 and given their style of play and fitness level they likely wont decline until well into their mid 30's.

Point being, it is very premature to be worrying about how we will be able to compete with another team that really has yet to prove a thing.

Personally I'm a bit surprised so many have fixated on Edmonton when the Av's seem to have just as my quality young players and a far better balance positionaly.

Stasney, Duchane, Johnson, O'reily, and Landeskog, seems like a pretty dam fantastic young core as well.

I think we all have a lot of angst over Alberta having a better team then Vancouver.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

We are quickly becoming one of the older teams in the league, as our core is maturing together, so I will be judging MG on the next few years of renewal. If you look at Detroit, they have managed to renew for the last 15 years without really skipping a beat.

The question is where are the up-and-comers for the team. We have a great core in the 28-31 range, but they will need some renewal in 2-3 years. We'll see how much he gets over the next few years as we trade players on the downhill slide for more draft picks. (so far, I am totally happy with Booth and a 3rd for Samuelsson)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!