Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Potatoe1 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Gino's Knuckle wrote: Don't think I said he was a "lock"; my recollection is that i said he was "budding" and that he was a first round pick (14th if I am not mistaken). He showed great potential and some good chemistry with Kesler (which is something we don't seem to have an excess of). Just because the Panthers wasted an asset and put him on waivers does not mean Gillis would have done the same. Saying he would have been waived by the Canucks and picked up by another team for free is paramount to my saying he would have scored 33 goals that year on the Canucks - it's all speculation.

What I can say on a factual basis is that we lost a speedy, exciting player who was showing potential, for an overpaid d-man who AV won't play.
Grabner is soft as butter and only had 32 points last season while getting top6 ice time on a crappy Islanders team.

With that type of performance in a Canuck uni, he would have been hitting the waiver wire.

That said, we gave up a first round pick for Ballard so it's impossible not to dislike the trade.

Gino's Knuckle
CC Rookie

Post by Gino's Knuckle » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:13 pm

Potatoe1 wrote:Grabner is soft as butter and only had 32 points last season while getting top6 ice time on a crappy Islanders team.

With that type of performance in a Canuck uni, he would have been hitting the waiver wire.

That said, we gave up a first round pick for Ballard so it's impossible not to dislike the trade.
Can't disagree with you regarding his being soft - but then again how is that different from the majority of Canuck players anyway? As per the 32 point performance, I personally think that was a bust sophomore (counting full seasons) year and expect that he will rebound this year. Could be wrong, but with that speed and those soft hands (to go along with his soft play) I would lay money that he is going to be a solid top six player.

Gino's Knuckle
CC Rookie

Post by Gino's Knuckle » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:25 pm

RoyalDude wrote:This

What brilliant post...this is the kind of stuff that gives me great hope in this place and that in times of bleakness you can still find some intelligent life on the CC planet. Someone possessing individual thought and is not swayed by the clique mob mentallity here, an ability to have the balls to go against the grain and not worried about being accepted by the clique. Pre-requisite to being a CCC member (Canucks Corner Clique). Hate AV, Love Gillis, Hate Raymond, Love Booth, Hate Grabner, Love Malhotra, Hate Edler, Love Ballard, Hate Burke, Love Kassian, Hate Hodgson, Love Higgins, Hate Nonis. There ya go in a nutshell.

I am standing at my computer and applauding you Gino's Knuckle. Take a Bow.
Thanks RD. If those are the requisite sentiments I'd say I am about half in and half out. My animus for AV is pretty solid, Gillis - I like but am starting to question more and more, Raymond - feel for the guy but don't really see him progressing any further, Booth - jury still out, Grabner - liked since we drafted him, Malhotra - again, feel for the guy but don't see him coming back to form, Edler - like him but doubt he is going to actually be the #1 we have been hoping for, Ballard - like him and think he has been a team (read AV) scapegoat, Burke - meh, Kassian - jury still out, Hodgson - Love the guy, but can't say the same for his father, Higgins - reminds me of Sillinger i.e. good stopgap, Nonis - didn't like how many draft picks he got wasted.

wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:16 am

Gino's Knuckle wrote:

What brilliant post...this is the kind of stuff that gives me great hope in this place and that in times of bleakness you can still find some intelligent life on the CC planet. Someone possessing individual thought and is not swayed by the clique mob mentallity here, an ability to have the balls to go against the grain and not worried about being accepted by the clique. Pre-requisite to being a CCC member (Canucks Corner Clique). Hate AV, Love Gillis, Hate Raymond, Love Booth, Hate Grabner, Love Malhotra, Hate Edler, Love Ballard, Hate Burke, Love Kassian, Hate Hodgson, Love Higgins, Hate Nonis. There ya go in a nutshell.

Thanks RD. If those are the requisite sentiments I'd say I am about half in and half out. My animus for AV is pretty solid, Gillis - I like but am starting to question more and more, Raymond - feel for the guy but don't really see him progressing any further, Booth - jury still out, Grabner - liked since we drafted him, Malhotra - again, feel for the guy but don't see him coming back to form, Edler - like him but doubt he is going to actually be the #1 we have been hoping for, Ballard - like him and think he has been a team (read AV) scapegoat, Burke - meh, Kassian - jury still out, Hodgson - Love the guy, but can't say the same for his father, Higgins - reminds me of Sillinger i.e. good stopgap, Nonis - didn't like how many draft picks he got wasted.
Ooops. Well, there goes the latest Dudist acolyte...

CaptainTrev
CC Veteran

Post by CaptainTrev » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:16 am

wienerdog wrote:
Gino's Knuckle wrote:

Hooray! The clique wins again!

:roll:
"Perhaps there is no moral to this story."

"Exactly! It's just a bunch of stuff that happened."

ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:26 am

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: :devil: Don't mess with a Catholic ...we will extend that cheesey little smile of yours with a flick of a knife. Go Glasgow Celtic and death to the Rangers. Wooohoooo!
So after 16 years of claiming to be ass Italian ass Mussolini... and ass much of a left-wing heathen

.... you expect this court to suddenly believe you're a half-scottish Catholic?? :shock:

For 16 years you were proud of who you are, now you're utterly ashamed!

No need to thank me.... 8-)
the Italian american foundation thanks you,,, :drink:

coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:11 am

Gino's Knuckle wrote: Can't disagree with you regarding his being soft - but then again how is that different from the majority of Canuck players anyway?
The major difference is his poor 2-way play.

Unlike say Raymond, who can help the team defensively and on the PK even when he's poor offensively, Grabner is pretty much useless on the ice if he's not clicking.

If anyone has been watching Grabner closely the last couple of years, they would notice how easily he's neutralized by tough defenders and high checking teams.

I still like Grabner as a player, but I don't see how he would have made the Canucks much better if he were still on the roster. he'd add great scoring depth and speed, but he wouldn't help us much in the types of games we're looking to get better at playing.

Since it's pretty obvious how the Canucks need to get better, I don't think I need to explain how a finesse, speed winger who can be shut down in tight games isn't exactly what we need in the top 6.

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:35 am

Gino's Knuckle wrote:
Can't disagree with you regarding his being soft - but then again how is that different from the majority of Canuck players anyway? As per the 32 point performance, I personally think that was a bust sophomore (counting full seasons) year and expect that he will rebound this year. Could be wrong, but with that speed and those soft hands (to go along with his soft play) I would lay money that he is going to be a solid top six player.
Other then Raymond, which of our forwards would you consider "soft" ?

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:42 am

Potatoe1 wrote:
Gino's Knuckle wrote:
Kind of agree here. While i would like to see the Canucks add some more size and beligerence to the lineup on the front end and the back end this is not a soft team. They are not a real hard nosed group to play against but they sure as hell aren't soft.
Last edited by Doyle Hargraves on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:58 am

CaptainTrev wrote:
wienerdog wrote:
Gino's Knuckle wrote: Thanks RD. If those are the requisite sentiments I'd say I am about half in and half out. My animus for AV is pretty solid, Gillis - I like but am starting to question more and more, Raymond - feel for the guy but don't really see him progressing any further, Booth - jury still out, Grabner - liked since we drafted him, Malhotra - again, feel for the guy but don't see him coming back to form, Edler - like him but doubt he is going to actually be the #1 we have been hoping for, Ballard - like him and think he has been a team (read AV) scapegoat, Burke - meh, Kassian - jury still out, Hodgson - Love the guy, but can't say the same for his father, Higgins - reminds me of Sillinger i.e. good stopgap, Nonis - didn't like how many draft picks he got wasted.

Haha, I guess you missed the irony of my post.

Here - I'll let you in on a secret:

There is no clique!

It's an invention of RD's to stir the pot - much like the Vancouver media makes much ado about nothing to sell papers. The only person around here trying to create cliques is RD himself.

If you read these boards with any regularity and attention, there is plenty of discourse, debate and dissention. It's usually well thought out and coherently presented by a wide variety of posters discussing a wide range of topics.

Just because there are people that take to task the MO of bursting into every thread with a played out bull-in-a-china-shop schtick that tends to assert sensational but vapid points doesn't make them part of a "clique".

Calling out poorly contructed thoughts or goading is good for the board.

Admittedly, going against the grain is good for the board too. And while RD does that with regularity, he deserves zero credit for it because he's usually wrapped up in so much bullshit it obliterates his credibility. There are many here who are just tired of it.

I, like others, wish it would be the former colorful contrariness without the latter timewasting chest-thumping. Doesn't seem like it's going to change, though.

There's a difference between being colorful in communication while being eloquent (think George Carlin) and being colorful while shooting yourself in the face (Michael Richards).

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:15 am

CaptainTrev wrote:

And the song remains the same Trevol Lindol...sing it - "Hate AV, Love Gillis, Hate Raymond, Love Booth, Hate Grabner, Love Malhotra, Hate Edler, Love Ballard, Hate Burke, Love Kassian, Hate Hodgson, Love Higgins, Hate Nonis" :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:22 am

the reason RD is pissed is because he believes...like many of us on this board believe...that we have AGAIN missed our window of opportunity...some of us old cunts have been watching this shit for over 40 years...40 years of goddamn agony...you young dinklickers have no idea how frustrating it can be...you have had a great team for almost 10 years...but the problem is our 2 true workhorses(Henrik and Daniel) are getting old...i fear that when the Sedins hang the blades up we are back to another 5-10 years of mediocrity...RD operates in the reality of the situation...most posters on this site operate in the fantasy part of the situation...the truth is...we is almost done again...

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:42 am

*****yawn, fart*****.......I am 42 and have followed the team since 76. I know there are people older than me, Leves, Dude, Doc, Topper, rats, and a shitload of others so don't feed me that crap, and they don't piss and moan like little children.

Some of the rest of us prefer to see the team for what it is- a competitive team that has had a chance to win it all for the last 4 years and looks like it will be strong for a few more years. Some of the chicken little see nothing but negative. I wonder if that's how they roll in real life ????
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Gino's Knuckle
CC Rookie

Post by Gino's Knuckle » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:59 pm

coco_canuck wrote:
Gino's Knuckle wrote: Can't disagree with you regarding his being soft - but then again how is that different from the majority of Canuck players anyway?
The major difference is his poor 2-way play.

Unlike say Raymond, who can help the team defensively and on the PK even when he's poor offensively, Grabner is pretty much useless on the ice if he's not clicking.

If anyone has been watching Grabner closely the last couple of years, they would notice how easily he's neutralized by tough defenders and high checking teams.

I still like Grabner as a player, but I don't see how he would have made the Canucks much better if he were still on the roster. he'd add great scoring depth and speed, but he wouldn't help us much in the types of games we're looking to get better at playing.

Since it's pretty obvious how the Canucks need to get better, I don't think I need to explain how a finesse, speed winger who can be shut down in tight games isn't exactly what we need in the top 6.
I agree that Grabner is a one-dimensional player - one whose specialty is not defensive play. I still think that paired with Kesler, he adds a dimension that is useful. I'd rather see Grabner with the potential of a 30 goal scorer on the second line than I would see Raymond, who isn't likely (i could be wrong) to regain that 20 goal form. For sure Raymond fits better with the AV style of game, but, since you use him as a comparison, can you really say that he makes us better in "the types of games we're looking to get better at playing"?

Personally, with Grabner, I still see a young player that has potential to get better and to be a difference maker - a scorer who can develop to use his speed and hands to get those goals when the game is on the line. I am not saying he is anywhere near to Gaborik or that he could ever reach those heights but I do think that he can be that ilk of player. Raymond I kept hoping would develop into someone that could tap into that speed and develop hands to become a difference maker but I have lost faith there and think a 20 goal season is about as good as it is going to get.

And finally, notwithstanding the above, I in a selfish sort of way like the excitement that having that type of player brings when watching the game. Guess I just want to resurrect those days of seeing number 10 blazing down the side. (I know it's never going to happen, but I can still hope).

Finally, I don't think I ever said a finesse speedy winger is exactly what we need on the team. My recollection is that I said "What I can say on a factual basis is that we lost a speedy, exciting player who was showing potential, for an overpaid d-man who AV won't play." So feel free to expand on how he isn't exactly what we need and I'll likely agree with you. I just would have rather kept him and his potential than get what seems to be deemed (by AV) a nearly unusable (or low third pairing) d-man.
Last edited by Gino's Knuckle on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gino's Knuckle
CC Rookie

Post by Gino's Knuckle » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:06 pm

Potatoe1 wrote:
Gino's Knuckle wrote:
Depends on exactly your what your definition of "soft" is but if you mean a perimeter player who doesn't drive to the net, pretty much every forward other than Burrows, Kesler, Higgins (maybe) and Lapierre (possibly Hansen).
Last edited by Gino's Knuckle on Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.