Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Locked
User avatar
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by donlever » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:35 am

..he didn't make 5 player moves.

He made 5 separate suggestions as to what the team could potentially do in a scenario where they needed to create additional cap space.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!

User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 9217
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by rats19 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:43 am

donlever wrote:..he didn't make 5 player moves.

He made 5 separate suggestions as to what the team could potentially do in a scenario where they needed to create additional cap space.
plus several Etc. :wink: 's
You are who you hang with.....

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Fred » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:52 am

donlever wrote:..he didn't make 5 player moves.

He made 5 separate suggestions as to what the team could potentially do in a scenario where they needed to create additional cap space.
OK that's right but is it not also covered by that well known phrases splitting hairs :P player moves, player suggestions, you say tomato I say potato :P
cheers

User avatar
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by donlever » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:07 pm

Sorry Fred, with all due respect it is not a splitting hairs, tomato tomatoe potato potatoe thing.

Your synopsis of his post, when speaking of haphazardly making 5 player moves, misinterprets the intent of what Potatoe was saying within the realm of discussions of cap space.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Fred » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:13 pm

donlever wrote:Sorry Fred, with all due respect it is not a splitting hairs, tomato tomatoe potato potatoe thing.

Your synopsis of his post, when speaking of haphazardly making 5 player moves, misinterprets the intent of what Potatoe was saying within the realm of discussions of cap space.
OK I've misunderstood what he wrote when he listed players with suggestions of what to do with them. I took him at his word I guess.
Trade Luongo
Kesler LTIR
Trade Raymond
Waive Malholtra
Move Ballard
Lets be honest here he writes trade Luongo .... er .... hasn't MG been trying to do that for 4 months to no avail and is now saying the team might well start the season with both Luongo and Schneider. We forget this is not an easy task as time has shown. Trade Raymond and Ballard oops move Ballard, I'm thinking given the opportunity MG would have done this last season if any one had been interested. Sounds nice in a post but lets get real it's far from easy. How else Don do I read this ?
cheers

User avatar
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by donlever » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:26 pm

I would read it as if GMMG "needed" cap space any of those players could be moved at a moments notice if you take into account the creation of found money as a portion of your return.

So, for instance, Ballard for a bag of pucks gives us 4 million to sign the Hansen brothers if we so choose.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Fred » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:40 pm

donlever wrote:I would read it as if GMMG "needed" cap space any of those players could be moved at a moments notice if you take into account the creation of found money as a portion of your return.

So, for instance, Ballard for a bag of pucks gives us 4 million to sign the Hansen brothers if we so choose.
OK you mean like give them away I guess that's a real opition :lol:

here's a fact that seems to be eluding a few what ever trade you make (if they're not UFA and they're few and far between ) there's salary coming

Any way so be it
cheers

User avatar
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2922
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Aaronp18 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:19 pm

Fred wrote: here's a fact that seems to be eluding a few what ever trade you make (if they're not UFA and they're few and far between ) there's salary coming

Any way so be it
What salary dumps do you think FLA would send our way exactly? There's one guy on their roster that has a higher cap hit than Roberto and they aren't moving him. The other players they may send back make in the mid-$4M per, several of them have NTC or NMC as well.

I'm not sure why you think Florida needs to send salary back our way, if FLA gives up too much salary they are at risk of being to close to the cap floor.

Tallon has already gotten the approval to take on Luo's contract, which means ownership likely wants to remain competitive and compete in the SouthEast. They can't send back too much salary without risking becoming a weaker team.

I think part of the reason no deal has been done (or no player movement has occurred in the NHL for a while) is because of the owners original proposal to the NHLPA. There's a lot of uncertainty surrounding how the CBA will look when it's been revised.

Gino's Knuckle
CC Rookie
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Gino's Knuckle » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:28 pm

Fred wrote:
donlever wrote:I would read it as if GMMG "needed" cap space any of those players could be moved at a moments notice if you take into account the creation of found money as a portion of your return.

So, for instance, Ballard for a bag of pucks gives us 4 million to sign the Hansen brothers if we so choose.
OK you mean like give them away I guess that's a real opition :lol:

here's a fact that seems to be eluding a few what ever trade you make (if they're not UFA and they're few and far between ) there's salary coming

Any way so be it
Fred, I get what you are saying, but would tend to agree with Lever and Potatoe on this. Space and a bag of pucks for players isn't at all unprecedented and I don't think Gillis would have a problem getting rid of Lou and Ballard in deals akin to the Ehrhoff Lukowich deal back in the day. I wouldn't suggest this, as I think every asset should be leveraged to the max, but, if necessitated, I can see Lou and Ballard exiting the team along with their salaries for something analagous to White and Rahimi.

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1612
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Potatoe1 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:31 pm

Fred wrote:
donlever wrote:I would read it as if GMMG "needed" cap space any of those players could be moved at a moments notice if you take into account the creation of found money as a portion of your return.

So, for instance, Ballard for a bag of pucks gives us 4 million to sign the Hansen brothers if we so choose.
OK you mean like give them away I guess that's a real opition :lol:

here's a fact that seems to be eluding a few what ever trade you make (if they're not UFA and they're few and far between ) there's salary coming

Any way so be it
Thank you Lever you are a more patient man then I (clearly)....

Fred if the Canucks sign Doan and for some bizarre reason are unable to trade Luongo, and if again by some freak of nature Ryan Kesler is healthy to start, they could waive either Malholtra or Raymond.

Topper Kassian and Tanev are still waiver exempt and I doubt anyone would pick up Ebbet or Volpatti, so clearing room to get Kesler on LTIR looks fairly doable.

I also think Malholtra would clear recall waivers, so if necessary they could do that as well.

We don't have cap issues, and even if we did it isn't because of David Booths salary.

I suspect we will be well below the cap this season.

User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3606
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Jovocop » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:36 pm

Fred wrote:
donlever wrote:I would read it as if GMMG "needed" cap space any of those players could be moved at a moments notice if you take into account the creation of found money as a portion of your return.

So, for instance, Ballard for a bag of pucks gives us 4 million to sign the Hansen brothers if we so choose.
OK you mean like give them away I guess that's a real opition :lol:

here's a fact that seems to be eluding a few what ever trade you make (if they're not UFA and they're few and far between ) there's salary coming

Any way so be it

Also, the current demand for top-four defensemen is pretty high around the league. People can agrue that Ballard is not a top-four for the Canucks but that does not mean he has no trading value. I would bet teams like Detroit and Flyers would give up a 2nd rounder for Ballard.

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Fred » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:43 pm

Yeah I suppose they might, but, I don't think MG would do that. He'd be trading a first round pick for a second round pick and likely take some heat....which would be deserved IMO. He touted Ballard to the fans when he made the trade, dumping for a 2nd round pick ...... make him look like a ( choose your own adjective :lol: )
cheers

User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3606
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Jovocop » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:18 pm

Fred wrote:Yeah I suppose they might, but, I don't think MG would do that. He'd be trading a first round pick for a second round pick and likely take some heat....which would be deserved IMO. He touted Ballard to the fans when he made the trade, dumping for a 2nd round pick ...... make him look like a ( choose your own adjective :lol: )
I am not saying that Ballard can only fetch us a second rounder. I am just saying that might be the worst case scenario. If Detroit is indeed trying to get Bouwmeester ($6.68m), I would imagine that they would love to get Ballard ($4.2m). As much as people dislike Ballard, he is cheaper and 10x tougher than Bouwmeester.

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Fred » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:39 pm

I always thought Calgary over paid Bowmeester Frankly a second rounder is about what Ballards worth now IMO. AV has not helped MG position by minimizing his ice time. At the salary he's pulling down how many GM's want a #5 or 6 D for that money. Aaron Rome was paid $1.5 by Dallas and he played comparable or more minutes I think than Ballard did ?

If MG is inclined to do dump jobs Luongo would have been moved already :)
cheers

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 20401
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Strangelove » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:47 pm

Potatoe1 wrote: Thank you Lever you are a more patient man then I (clearly)....

Fred if the Canucks sign Doan and for some bizarre reason are unable to trade Luongo, and if again by some freak of nature Ryan Kesler is healthy to start, they could waive either Malholtra or Raymond.

Topper Kassian and Tanev are still waiver exempt and I doubt anyone would pick up Ebbet or Volpatti, so clearing room to get Kesler on LTIR looks fairly doable.

I also think Malholtra would clear recall waivers, so if necessary they could do that as well.
Right you are Potatoe ole bean (nightshade?). To make the argument that Gillis can't sign Doan because of Booth's salary is about as silly as it gets. Gillis has made offer(s) to Doan. Gillis (and Gilman) are not morons. They have a plan in place if Doan accepts their offer. NO DOUBT they have said to other GMs "Okay if Domino Doan signs with us we'll do such-and-such trade with you; if Domino Doan doesn't sign with us we'll do such-and-such trade with you". There are no doubt some UFAs waiting upon Domino Doan as well.

Those who make the argument Gillis will be caught with his pants down if Doan choo-choo-chooses us are silly.
Potatoe1 wrote: We don't have cap issues, and even if we did it isn't because of David Booths salary.
To say anything else would be uncivilized (and silly). :wink:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Locked